1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HD TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by lagler1, Aug 11, 2005.

1. lagler1

lagler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Unfortunately I am totally HD illiterate, close to 6 months ago I was so hard up for an HD TV that I shelled out 400 bucks for an advent. I've been searching the forums, and havent found any info on this particular brand. Since then I've saved a little, but I want to know if this TV is garbage b4 I buy a new one. PS its only for gaming purposes.

heres the link to the model: http://www.adventtv.com/2751adetail.html#
    Thanks for any info

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    lagler1 I take it that you are a visitor to these forums from the US. It might be in your interest to use an American forum where there might be more information on this TV. It's certainly not known here. The most obvious comment about your choice is why buy a 4:3 set?. Almost all new program material is now 16:9 and all our main channels in the UK broadcast as such. Most manufacturers seem to be dropping this format from their new ranges. The European HD standard stipulates that screens chould be 16:9.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think 4:3 HD sets are popular in the US - where there are still 100s of 4:3 SD channels, and only a relatively small amount of 16:9 HD channels (and almost no 16:9 SD stuff)

In the UK we may not have HD, but many of our SD channels are 16:9...

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Hi again, I've just had another look at your choice and spotted that it is a CRT set !!. HD CRT tvs are totally unknown this side of the pond. And this is rated as 1080i and costs, in UK terms, around £300? There have been several requests on these forums for info on Hi Def CRTs. The only one known was a large, and expensive, Sony which could only be obtained on import. If this does come up to spec then it sounds like a bargain. I guess if you are using it for games then 16:9 may not be all that important although I am informed that many newer games are adopting a widescreen format. I guess some UK forum readers may be interested in the Advent, if they could obtain one.

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    The problem with most US HD CRTs if you are going to import them to the UK, is that many don't support 50Hz, only 60Hz. Fine if you are using it for an XBox - not so good if you want to watch Sky HD...