1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HD makes a whineing noise... Should it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Chipster, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In my effort to build a HCPC quickly using parts sourced 'over the counter', I was forced by stock levels elsewhere to venture into the mysterious world of PC World :laugh: (at myself)

Anyway, the only 200gb hard drives they had in stock were Western Digital 7200 rpm 'bare drive' no frills white box jobbies for £89.99. Not bad I thought.

However, the drive cluncked and clicked on install... took it back :rolleyes:

Replacement: This one has a high pitched whine, almost ultrasonic, quiet but very annoying. When the PC is shut down, this whine turns into a tiny regular rubbing noise in time with disk revs, noticable when disk is almost stopping.

My question.. is this normal for larger HD's or should they be silent... short of the spinning of course?.

I can live with it but should I?
    Thanks.

PS. thanks to posters recommendations, I fitted a Abit NF7-s ver2 MB and did the SPDIF coax out mod... works a treat :smashin:

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Chipster:

Well i've got the WD 20gig 7200 EIDE version in my case and the spindle noise is pretty offensive !!

Gonna put it into a Quiet-PC drive sleeve to quieten it down, my data drive is a WD 80gig 7200 EIDE SE version, and that lives in an external USB2 Caddy which can be turned off when watching movies.

I know it's been discussed before, and i could get a new SATA drive for my new HTPC build...but i'd rather hang onto this HD and see how it lives in the drive sleeve.

Cheers

Cosmic023

3. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Cosmic023

Did you mean 20 or 200gig?

I did a search on HD sleeves. They are quite expensive for what they appear. I might look at making one out of some alu component boxes and some foam.. whilst keeping an eye on temps.

I'm still not sure if my WD HD is making the noise it should be (my old 40gig unknown brand) in my home office PC is much quieter and has been running problem free for years. But I guess its slower and smaller.

Perhaps a visit to some retailers with a stethoscope is in order to get some comparisons.

Chipster.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    7200 rpm drives do tend to have a slight "whine" to them, but nothing compared to 10 and 15k drives.

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Chipster:

Yeah i did mean 20gig and not 200gig, the drive is only for a dual boot PC with 2 copies of WinXP Pro and Programs needed for each partition. So there is plenty of space left, and all my data is on an 80gig drive.

Ok so it's not really a huge storage space, but then i'm still looking at building a cheap media server sometime this year with 500gig of storage as a starter.

MJN:

I'm sure 10k & 15k drives are more noiser, but then you wouldn't want them in a home PC or even an HTPC for that, And place them away in a server where the noise doesn't matter.

6. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys.

I realise now after a bit of comparison testing that my Western Digital was LOUD, not just a slight whine.

Bumped it back to PC world, went elsewhere and got a Maxtor Diamond+ 200gig...
    This drive is so smooth and quiet in comparison that I can only think that PC world are selling a load of B Grade drives??

Cheers.

Chipster.

7. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i've just put my WD 20gig drive into the Quietdrive Sleeve, a major world of difference for now !! :clap:

Also just put the HUGE heatsink / pipe cooler, onto my Radeon 9500 non pro.....as stated in a previous thread my system had loads of video noise, and that was down to the 9500 overheating in such a crowded mini tower.

Well i'll find out later if it's worked out ok !! I hope so !! :smashin:

Chipster:
    I'm glad you found a better drive for your PC, i'll stick with what i've got for now, and when i build this new HTPC. (That's when i've made me mind up over what case to buy !! :laugh: ) and maybe review the HD situation then !!

Cheers

Cosmic023

Edit:

That heatsink / pipe cooler for my Radeon 9500 is brill........no more noise on the picture. :clap: Well worth getting one for you Nvida or Radeon GFX cards. (Will only fit cards that have locating pins on PCB)

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I've replaced about a dozen big WD 7200rpm drives recently in machines at work, all with the same issue. Looks like there's a bearing problem..

Not tried the maxtor, but I use Seagate ST3200822A in my HTPC and these are dead quiet too..
    The SATA version of the same drive is only £10 more now ! :suicide: