My HD audio device disappears after reboot

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I changed my card last week, from an HD6970 to HD7850 and all is swimmingly good except I'm running into one very frustrating issue.

When I turn my PC on I have no audio from the GPU's HDMI. If I look in Control Panel-Sound there's no listing for AMD High Definition Audio at all even with disconnected/disabled devices box ticked. If I look in Device manager, the AMD HD Audio is showing as working under Sound, Video and Game Controllers.
If i uninstall and then scan for changes it reinstalls ad hows in my Sounds again.
I've spent days looking for answers but most issues seem to be it showing as 'not plugged in' whereas mine dont show at all.
I never had the problem with the previous card. I am running latest CCC beta but I did roll back and was the same.

Anyone have any ideas where I can start?
I'm on Win7 x64

Have you tried updating the driver? Obvious I know but worth a go.

I did look around, but unless I'm missing something I cant see anything else I can d/l if I'm using Catalyst..I tried the latest beta and rolled back to 13.1

Last edited:
I may have resolved it, cant properly check until this evening.
When I was uninstalling the AMD HD audio under sound & game controllers I wasn't selecting the tick box 'delete driver'.
I'm pretty sure when I looked at the driver info before is was dated Dec '12. I had looked as I had tried to update driver but it said it was the latest.
Anyway, this time I chose to delete the driver when uninstalling.
Re-scanned and it did it's thing and it seemed to have fixed the problem, I did a quick reboot and it was still as it should be :)
I checked the driver info this time and the driver says Sept '12. I assume it means that my 6970 was using different audio drivers to the 7950 :confused:

Anyway...I'll finds out when I get home but it's all a learning curve :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom