My hand made Pano Head

GIZTO29

After getting interested in 360 x 180 Equirectangular Panos and panos in general i had considered buying a proper head, the Nodal Ninja 3 Mk2. While looking for a video of it on youtube i came across a video of a handmade jobby that looked pretty cool so i decided i would try and make one myself as im a fabricator. After taking a few camera measurments and reading up on Nodal points etc i set about the job in hand. For the record i had tried doing these types of panos before handheld but had some problems stitching due to not having the camera held in line every time.

Heres some photos of the head...

P1070037 by gizto29 {50k shutter clicks in 1 year} :O, on Flickr

P1070039 by gizto29 {50k shutter clicks in 1 year} :O, on Flickr

P1070041 by gizto29 {50k shutter clicks in 1 year} :O, on Flickr

A few problems i encountered...

My battery grips 1/4 thread isnt in the centre of the lens (i think its for a D80) so ive had to take it off.
The flash bracket isnt strong enough so the camera tends to twist it slightly knocking the camera out of level.
My Manfrotto 496 has no Pano feature :(

To resolve the above issues ive bought a Giottos 1312 head with pano function which is brilliant!
Ive removed the flash bracket and made a new piece from 40 x 6 stainless to avoid the twisting issue and its all good now. Theres one other slight problem now though. The camera is sitting straight on metal now so i need to try and find some rubber which is very thin. When i made the bracket i welded the upright taking into account the cameras base to lens centre then the thicness of the flash bracket so that the camera is dead centre so now i have to stick to that size. This means i cant remove the flash bracket rubber which is about 3 mm. Maybe something like skateboard grip would work.

Anyhow heres the finished article and a shot ive taken with it....

Pipkins Thraker Mk2 by gizto29 {50k shutter clicks in 1 year} :O, on Flickr

New Front Room 360 x 180 Equirectangular Panorama by gizto29 {50k shutter clicks in 1 year} :O, on Flickr

Stereographic 360 Mini Planet by gizto29 {50k shutter clicks in 1 year} :O, on Flickr

Stereographic 360 Rabbit Hole SHot by gizto29 {50k shutter clicks in 1 year} :O, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Phil

Last edited:

GIZTO29

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom