1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My H/K 2550 arrived today, one word...WOW!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SilverPenguin7, Jun 10, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, my H/K 2550 arrived today despite the fact the order still says processing on plays website! All I can say is....WOW!!

First of all it looks very nice when its all lit up with its green bights for play, stop etc. Definately has an expensive feel to it.

The picture is nothing short of stunning on the PW6 (which also arrived today. Today has officially been a good day! lol) but whats even better is it has given my speakers a new lease of life!!! My friend even pointed out within minutes of shuffling through various films how much richer and crisper my speakers sounded. Even the surrounds seem to have come back to life! I really had no idea how much difference a player could make, I wish I had upgraded my old sony ages ago now!!

AND as far as I can tell it sounds MUCH better than my old Marantz CD63 when it comes to playing music cd's. I am most definately one happy chappy :clap:

Just got to figure out what the best mode for dvd's is now, seems progressive and Pal60 offers the best picture to my eye (for R1 and R2).

So I'll just say once again that I love this machine!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh, only thing that it wont do is play my Speed 5 star R1 disc, but then my sony wouldn't either and that was a dedicated R1 machine!! Guess its just a suspect disc as it only works on one of my friends two dvd players as well. This is the second copy I have had of the disc as well :(

2. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying that the player can output NTSC as PAL60 (rather than PAL50) on an interlaced signal? Could be another back into my list of potentials then!

3. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I'm not really clued up on this but I have the player set to 'progressive' and 'Pal60' for watching all regions. Switching it to Pal60 makes a noticeable difference in picture. I had it set to NTSC at first and noticed the black borders on films had speckles of colours in them if you looked closely on R1 (mainly green in colour). On R2 the top black bar had 4 red lines running the width of the screen. Each line was made up of intemitent red pixels but you could only see them if you went right up to the screen.

However, switching the set to Pal60 removed both of these problems and the borders became a far more solid black on both R1/2.

If there is anything else I need to do or haven't done to improve on things then I'm happy to hear from anyone more experienced with this player :)

4. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What is PAL60?

5. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I knew you'd like it. As I said on your other thread........

......The only quirk is that, for best results, you need to select V (Video mode) 2 in the Ezmenu each time you play a disc. This is to force film deinterlace mode rather than video or auto deinterlace as it is not a flag reading player. But I'm well please with this player and I reckon you will be to.

Don't forget there is a Video circuit bypass for when in stereo only.

Croc

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok, my final question...

Last night I stuck my R1 Bad Boys 2 disc in and when I selected V2 from the ezmenu it made the picture far worse. it basically introduced horizontal, intermitent lines on practically all edges of things on screen. If I paused the picture and switched between the V modes when I selected V2 you could clearly see the lines appear and the image actaully shifting as if it was showing me the next frame on top of the current frame! Is this to do with the way this particualr disc is encoded as I dont remember seeing this effect on any of the other discs I have watched by I'll have to go back and check this evening after work.

But just to say, its IS a superb player and I am really pleased with it. Just need to figure out what this V2 thing is all about and I'm sorted :)