My Guide to Wall Mounting a Panasonic Plasma

Hey JJ,

Well done mate, that's a really useful and informative site. I pretty much did exactly the same when wall mounting my Panny.
One question, where did you get the cable pipes from and size etc ?

gr8 site Jasonjo

I think you've solved most of my installation worries.

If you or anyone else could answer some of my quries, that would be very much appreciated. (Sorry if these are a bit basic)

1) My house is of modern constuction (12 years) I can see some soft blocks behind the plaster board that just crumble when you insert a screw driver into them. Are these "Aircrete blocks"

2) Twist Lock Anchor - how do these secure into the block do they lock into place when twisted ?. Also only about 30mm goes into the aircrete block is this sufficient ?.

3) Which screws\bolts did you use. type, thickness,length.

4) Was thinking of getting the Av sales bracket (power buy section) is it completely flush against the wall (I want the flatest bracket possible). Also is it supplied with the appropiate screw\bolts ?.

5)Haven’t thought too much about installation but I was visualising using some kind of large and long bolts that goto into the breeze block and open outwards. I take it these probably don’t even exists and isn’t the way to go…

wattsj => The pipes are in fact a B&Q curtain pole cut in half (£18 ish)....it is a black one, 28mm diameter and they do other colours/sizes - Simple, but effective ;)

Originally posted by depsi
gr8 site Jasonjo

I think you've solved most of my installation worries.

If you or anyone else could answer some of my quries, that would be very much appreciated. (Sorry if these are a bit basic)

1) My house is of modern constuction (12 years) I can see some soft blocks behind the plaster board that just crumble when you insert a screw driver into them. Are these "Aircrete blocks"

2) Twist Lock Anchor - how do these secure into the block do they lock into place when twisted ?. Also only about 30mm goes into the aircrete block is this sufficient ?.

3) Which screws\bolts did you use. type, thickness,length.

4) Was thinking of getting the Av sales bracket (power buy section) is it completely flush against the wall (I want the flatest bracket possible). Also is it supplied with the appropiate screw\bolts ?.

5)Haven’t thought too much about installation but I was visualising using some kind of large and long bolts that goto into the breeze block and open outwards. I take it these probably don’t even exists and isn’t the way to go…

depsi => Answers to above...

1) Yes, more than likely

2) You drill a pilot hole and then bang them in with a hammer, as you bang them in, they twist and grip to the aircrete block - they take quiet a bit of hammering to get through the plaster bit though. Once hammed they should be flush such that approx 5cm of the anchor is in the wall. (I only had a skim layer of plater on my wall so quite a bit of the anchor is in the aircrete.

3) I meant to add this, but wasn't 100%, from memory, I think they were 7mm x 100mm screws, they came with some other fischer fixings I ordered before - check out B&Q or the datasheet PDF's available for the twist lock anchor on the fischer website.

4) Yes, very flush - back of plasma is about 18mm from wall. Not quite a professional as the unicol mounts but pretty good for the money. No screws or bolts for wall, just bracket and screws to attach bracket plates to the back of the plasma (lots of different screws for assorted palsma types)

5) These type of fixings are not suitable for aircrete and are deisgned for brick wall or solid concrete construction and are called expanding bolts IIRC.

Cheers

JJ

Nice one mate.

What have you used under your floor standing speakers?

When i click on the link above - I don't get any pics, just text?
any ideas why??

Jasonjo

many thanks for all your advice I think i'm now ready to install when the plasma arrives....

Whats happened to the pics mate :( looking forward to seeing how you got on...............

Pics are back...I hate HTML!!! :)

JJ

Originally posted by vineshc
Nice one mate.

What have you used under your floor standing speakers?

I went to a local stonemason and got him to make me up some polished stone slabs with rubber film underneath. They cost £50 for the pair - check out your local yellow pages and pop along to your local stonemason and have a chat :)

They help loads with the bass (I have one under the sub too :smashin: :)) and help to protect the wooden floor from the spikes...

JJ

Cheers mate, thats what i'm after for my floor standers.

According to the Fischer site, those twist lock plugs are not recommended for plastered walls... I'm sure they are fine if you only have a skim, but if like me you have a full 5-10mm of plaster then Fischer recommend a longer frame fixing...

Setup looks good Jasonjo...

Yeah, I would agree with SimonO. Just make sure you get the frame fixings which are meant for hollow blocks if you have aircrete or thermalite walls...

JJ

found the Universal Masonary Frame Fixings from RS

but can't seem to find the S-H-R Frame fixings (fischer recommend ones for aircrete material)

help anybody !!!

The universal ones are the backup ones I bought if the Twist Lock Anchors (TLA's) didn't work out....RS part number 370-0882.

The universal ones do state that they use "formlock in hollow material" so I would think these should be fine depsi...

JJ

P.S. Note that the 370-0882 fixings also come with screws - these are the one's I used with my TLA's...

P.P.S. I have update my site with screw details, so take another look...

Panny is coming soon on order so need to get installation kit.

B&Q Screws

B&Q have some "Standard Frame Fixing screws" in various sizes
(i.e 8mm X 100mm, 10mm x 100mm). On the packet it says solid walls but at the bottom it says:
"Ribbling ensure tight hold in aerated blocks".

They look similar to the Universal Masonary Frame Fixings from RS but don't seem to have as much ribbling on the plug. Only about 25mm from the end.

Was wondering if anybody could confirm if these would do the job or am I better off with the fisher ones in RS.

Also do I go for the 10mm/8mm diameter which is more suitable ?.

Jasonjo - About to purchase the av wall bracket was wondering if you could do me a hudge favour and measure how far the edge of the frame is from the wall.

Thanks for all the help....

depsi,

From what you describe, these probs sound OK - the 10mm ones are nearer the RS spec. Just make sure you use enough. The fischer ones are probs a little better IMHO, but hard to say either way which will be best...

The distance from wall to front of screen bezel = 11cm (screen is 9cm, bracket 2cm) - also PM'd :)

Good luck! :smashin:

JJ

Once your Panny 6 is hung beatifully on the wall......is it OK to remove the handles and then put the screws back in??

The handles spoil the look of the "frame" a bit.

Yes you can safely remove them and put the screws back in...this is described on my website...

JJ

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom