My goodness. Plasma TVs...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by pixelated, Jan 7, 2012.

1. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Evening chaps

It's been a bloody good while since I posted on here. I think!

Some time ago I had a beautiful, flawless Pioneer 5090 that took an age to arrive. Utterly stunning. Anyway after a couple of weeks of owning it I fell over, smashed it and took an intense hatred to Plasmas from thereon in. ;-) I replaced it with an equally beautiful, actually, more beautiful, Samsung LED whilst knowing full well it wasn't/isn't in the same league as the Pioneer. I went for it simply because it was so thin and utterly sexy. My enthusiasm died the day I wrecked my Pioneer so decided to go mainstream :p

Anyway, my Samsung (that I do love) is a couple of years old and sometime this year (circa June-July) I'd like to put the Samsung in the bedroom and get a new chap for the living room. This isn't a "what TV should I buy?" thread as such because I have no intention of buying one just yet. I am, however, very curious to hear what the state of the plasma TV market is like at the moment.

Are plasmas still favoured as feverishly over LED/LCD as they were a couple of years ago with regards to picture quality? Are plasma TVs still considered a good option or have LED TVs caught up? One, in fact, the only considerable irritant I have with my Samsung is the rather high input lag. The TV I have now is a B8000. With that being my only major annoyance, you may well infer that I am happy with the overall picture and quality of the TV. I am. I would never spend £2300 on a TV again. In fact, I don't think I'd spend upwards of £1200 anymore.

Are Panasonic plasmas still the best in the absence of Pioneer? With it being so early in 2012, this may be difficult to predict, but are there any plasmas on the horizon that I should take notice of that are due to launch in April-June time?

Cheers chaps. It's very nice to back. I have to post under a new name these days as I used my real name before and didn't like the idea of my students finding me!

Thanks!
    pixelated.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Additionally, I would like to get a 46-50" TV next time. However, when I got my Samsung, the rumour mill was rife that backlight problems afflicted the Samsung B8000 LED that were 46" panels. Though a different technology and I don't remember many stories like that with regards to plasmas, is anything like that a consideration on current plasmas?

3. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,879
    Since Pioneer left Panasonic was put up there to be the next best thing but the 2011 Samsung range of plasmas gave them a bloody good run for there money. Infact having owned both a VT30 Panasonic and now a D8000 Samsung I prefer the Samsung plasma. Also IMO plasma is still king over LED for all the reasons it was over LCD. The change in backlighting doesnt really add up to much, the same motion issues and banding are still there but with the introduction of haloing and backlight bleed (patches on screen where the leds sit can shine though).

My advise is to sit on the fence for a few days if not longer as CES 2012 will start on the 10th of this month, then we should get a slightly better insight to whats going to be on offer for April-June.

But I now offer this advise to anyone wanting to upgrade to a new model...wait a month or two before jumping in. The reason for this, after this time any issues start to surface when the honeymoon period has ended. Then you can really start to weigh up the pros and cons of each set. :smashin:

4. billyboy2012

billyboy2012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im totally new to the TV market and will be buying in Mid march as im away a fair bit until then. I too am awaiting CES 2012 keenly- my predictions based on almost no knowlege:

1) Plasmas refining the technology, ironing out the minor issues and placing a lot of emphasis on their strengths.

2) LEDs doing their best to reduce their weaknesses. Will LED "overtake" plasma this year? Not quite IMO.....

3) 3D technology still with glasses trying to reduce interlacing further.

4) Main one will be more interactive TVs with even more internet options etc etc

Judging on what you said- the Panasonic 50" plasma GT at £1300 seems like your best option to me m8- its probably the one im going for in March! Bit of luck it will be £100-200 less by then too!

5. ciggerley

ciggerley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's 'advice', mate.

6. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,242
    Yes from 4.5 years ago

7. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    think he meant the spelling was wrong

8. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,242
    Yes I'm wondering why someone would dig up a thread to point out a spelling mistake

9. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,052
    Trolls with nothing better to do.

10. fluxo

fluxo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    It's like murder, isn't it? If you commit a crime like that, you will never sleep for the rest of your life. ;)