My good news!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Canary_Jules, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Just wanted to share my good news that I'm joining the ranks of the BK'ers. Forward firing black XLS-200 ordered today :clap: ! Hope I receive it before the Xmas break so I can have a good tinker with my new toy over the hols! Any one else bought a sub for the Xmas break?

Any one got any tips on setting it up with my Yammy 5540rds and Wharfedale Screen Pack? Settings?

Cheers

Jules

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    By all accounts you've made a good choice there and it's made your Christmas list a lot easier now:
    1. DVD's "Anything with BASS"
    2. DVD's "Anything with even more BASS"

and you're not the only one to buy a sub for Christmas, I bought myself a Nubert AW-1000 for my own Xmas present. Thing is, it's so heavy I haven't got it out of the box yet. :oops:

Which screen pack have you got? I don't know how most people used the BK but I would try it with all speakers set to small first and see how that sounds.

3. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Hi Avanzato! 'Tis truly a time of giving - a sub to oneself :smashin:. I'd never heard of the Nubert before your reply so took a look at the website. Looks like a fine and dandy piece of kit you got there (even without the ability to read German)!

My speakers are Wharfedale 8.3s fronts, 8.1 rears and diamond centre. The Wharf manual says to set fronts to 'large' and all the rest to small, so that's what I've got it on at the moment. Of course I haven't got the sub yet so will have a great time messing about with it (kids permitting :mad: ) when it arrives!!

Jules

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The BK will keep you really happy :smashin:

How you set your speakers should be decided more by how your amplifier controls your bass management than anything else. I would suggest setting all speakers to small and see what you think. Then setting the fronts to large, then adjusting the crossover and seeing which of the available options you prefer. :)

5. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Okay, the xls200 arrived this morning :D ! Hooked it up and run Avia. First impressions are - wow! Now I know what I was missing with my old Eltax A10! It's just one integrated sound. Put Master & Commander on (battle scenes), Toy Story 2 (start) and Die Another Day (start). Old habits die hard, so I'm listening out for the sub but can't hear it. So I put my hand on the sub and its rumbling away like a good 'un! Just one integrated sound! Result- I'm drawn into the actual movie much more. Cool! :thumbsup:

The one setting I couldn't work out though was the cross over control. I just set it to mid-way but this was just guess work. Can anyone advise me on this as I couldn't find a test for this on Avia?

Jules

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Switch the crossover control off or as high as possible if it isn't switchable as you want the amp to control the bass management and not the sub.

7. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    So set crossover to Max, i.e. 120Hz?

Jules

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    yup - The crossover in the amp will segregate the frequencies into high and low and send them to the appropriate speakers and it can be counter productive to use the crossover on the sub as well.

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As Ian says, your best option for starters is to bypass the sub crossover entirely. As you move the dial to 120Hz it should click into position which switches off the circuit then adjust the crossover on your amp.

Some people have difficulty integrating their sub and use a balance of the 2 crossovers, or it's useful if your amp only has limited bass management settings (a stereo amp for example) but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also set the phase to 0deg and ignore it, you can try moving it but I'd be surprised if you noticed a noteworthy difference. :)