My go at a home cinema

StevO84

Standard Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, only a recent poster.
I've been very inspired by a lot of the work carried out by some of you lot.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...07220-my-17-x-8-home-cinema-room-project.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...28-inzamans-refurbished-home-cinema-room.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...edback-input-appreciated-10.html#post14016145
http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/1382955-my-attempt-cinema.html
and Phil5366 but cant find his thread

Me and the missus live in a rented appartment (ok its a flat), so we cant do too much. Current set up is a cheap and cheerful Sanyo 42" plasma, decent picture for the money (picked it up for £150 from a work mate when six months old, and its 1080p) a Samsung 5.1 package set up (would like individuals but this one looks pretty and has a decent sound, and being in a block we cant have it booming loud anyway) Sony PS3 and Sky+HD box. Throw into that a load of Ikea and you get the pitcure (real pics to follow later).

I have it on good authority that the missus has bought me an Optoma HD67n for Christmas, so i've spent the last few days ordering a few bits i'm going to need to put my plan together.

I'd like to have a drop down screen, but as we cant do any work to the flat its not possible. Im going to bite the bullet and do away with the TV in the living room and go for the PJ full time (i know it will put wear on the bulb, but the TV is often only used for a couple of hours at night, and with the TV moving to the bedroom the PJ may not be used that much of an evening. Also the flat is pretty dark, even in day light so there shouldnt be too much wash out.

Me and my old man will build a framed screen (i got the idea of using an Ikea blind for the screen fabric on here http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/926930-jays-living-room-setup.html )

Today a few more HDMI cables turned up, 1m & 10m (1.4 so i can go for a 3DXL in the near future) and a switching box.
Optical cables are also in the post, and a splitter (only one input in the amp, two cables needed)

I'll post some pics of the current set up for now, and the rest as and when it moves along over Christmas and January.

Last edited:
current set up, not great picture quality.(iphone, not camera)

560775-albums2029-picture10843.jpg

Package arrived this afternoon, first bunch of cables.
10m HDMI 1.4 and 1m HDMI 1.4
HDMI switch, not 1.4 compatible, but 1.4 will only be needed when I have 3D-XL, so I wont need the switch then.

Having a few issues with the HD67n. Was ordered from Very.co.uk, when it turned up one of the three pins on the plug (the actual wall socket plug) was bent! How that happened i've no idea, them things are strong! Arranged a return to very, they say they wont supply a new one until this has been sent to Optoma and they confirm the problem! As far as i'm concerned that is a breach of the Sale Of Goods Act, under Fit For Purpose and should either be replaced or refunded immediately. But they are being very funny about it, and the missus is pretty upset that I might not have it on Christmas day.

560775-albums2029-picture10844.jpg

Last edited:
Couldnt you use a pair of plyers and bend it back slowly and steadily or was it at a 90 degree angle?

To be honest mate, i didnt see it. She only told me she had bought it after it had gone back and she was upset about spoiling Christmas. So i'm not sure how bad it was. I would assume its just a regular plug in cable, kettle type used in most appliances, so i'd have just got another cable. Have loads at work from unused computers.

.......Having a few issues with the HD67n. Was ordered from Very.co.uk, when it turned up one of the three pins on the plug (the actual wall socket plug) was bent! How that happened i've no idea, them things are strong! Arranged a return to very, they say they wont supply a new one until this has been sent to Optoma and they confirm the problem! As far as i'm concerned that is a breach of the Sale Of Goods Act, under Fit For Purpose and should either be replaced or refunded immediately. But they are being very funny about it, and the missus is pretty upset that I might not have it on Christmas day.

Hey buddy,

there's a raft of legislation in place which is very much in the consumers' favour when goods are defective /not as described etc. Rejecting the goods as defective on the basis of a bent mains plug may be stretching things a little but I would have hoped/expected a more pro-active response from the seller.

However, if the item was purchased online then you have the option to return the goods within 7 days (subject to certain conditions) under the Distance Selling Regulations.

So if Very are being evasive you'll need to assert that you're aware of your statutory rights and don't be fobbed off with BS such as 'we need to consult with our suppliers' etc.

A quick browse online will clue you up no end. DSRs explained here The UK's Distance Selling Regulations

HTH

regards

jeff

Edit: Due to my rubbish typing speed I missed the post above. Some of this may be irrelevant now if the item has already been returned. Hope it's resolved for you quickly and painlessly.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff, its much appreciated.
I'm fine to wait to be honest, as long as they actually send us another, or even just the same one with a new plug. The missus is more worried it wont be here by Christmas, she wanted it to be a nice surprise for me and she is already gutted that I know about it.
Ste

Thanks again Jeff for the additional info.

Just got off the phone to Very. After 51 minutes we came to an agreement that their advisors who had been dealing with this were in the wrong, but due to the delay of the replacement being ordered (by them) we wont receive it until 3rd Jan (cue angry missus!). They offered to credit us for 10% of the value and to credit any delivery costs that have been charged. They are also working on crediting the cost of a 51 minute phone call to a 0844 number.

I spoke to two people today who were really helpful, they know my rights well as they both explained them to me. Their colleague seemed to be dealing with this as if it was a warranty issue rather than a damaged on arrival issue. If they would have followed the correct procedure we would have had a replacement this friday, but nothing can be done.
Either way, I wont have it by Christmas, but it is a bit cheaper than before.

On the plus side, my Toslink cables and splitter should arrive tomorrow.

Good news re the replacement. Shame it won't be with you for xmas but the 10% off should help to make up for that a little bit.

Hope the replacement is ok, Enjoy!

regards

jeff

Good luck with the setup.

Thanks for your comment on my setup thread.

Look forward to your updates

560775-albums2029-picture10899.jpg

Better pics to follow after a tidy up.

Got the PJ, set it up last night. Very happy with it, even on a crappy cream wall.
Spent a bit of time getting the Sky+ and the PS3 linked into it.
Tried my new toslink cables with the cheap splitter, didnt work. So I currently have the PS3 set up on 5.1 with toslink, but the Sky+ is on RCA.

Anyone got any advice how I can get two toslink cables into one slot?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom