My Gmail got hacked - how can I scan my MBP for nasty stuff?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just before 1am, my gmail was hijacked and a flood of emails sent to every address in my account; and since it's Google, it was also sent to every email address I've ever emailed or been emailed from! So a couple thousand emails in under 3mins - which was how long it took me to get out of bed, downstairs, turn on computer, log into gmail and shut down all services till I could find out what was happening. Google gmail activity reported an IP in China was responsible, and strangely it had activity on my account at 20:38 and 00:53. 00:53 being the time the mails were sent, but I don't know what it was doing at 20:38??

Anyway, I'm sure it's just a hijacking, and hopefully now it's resolved by locking them out and changing my password.

However, is there anything I can use to scan my MBP for anything that shouldn't be there? I know Mac's aren't supposed to get virus' or trojans etc, but I'd rather be safe. (even tho I suspect it has nothing to do with my actual computer, since my gmail is web based, not local mail as if I were using Outlook or Mail)

I know on PC's I could use a variety of scanning tools - AVG, AdAware, SpyBot, Trend Micro, etc etc.

Whats good to use on Mac?

I have XP installed in VMWare, so not on a seperate partition. However I haven't used it for a good while, and barely do, nor really use the net much on it anyway, so I presume it's not a problem?

Well I ran a scan with iAntiVirus and it found nothing. not sure if that's good or bad, haha!

Benefits of Sohpos over iAntiVirus?

Well I ran a scan with iAntiVirus and it found nothing. not sure if that's good or bad, haha!

Benefits of Sohpos over iAntiVirus?

I believe it also searches for Windows nasties, which is handy in case you share a network with Windows machine and thus don't want to pass anything that while, it won't affect your mac can cause a problem foir Windows

I believe it also searches for Windows nasties, which is handy in case you share a network with Windows machine and thus don't want to pass anything that while, it won't affect your mac can cause a problem foir Windows

I can confirm Sophos also scans for Windows nasties. Found a couple of trojans on my Mac. Turns out they were contained in some .jar files I downloaded for a Megadrive emulator.
But as you say, doesn't sound as if it's anything on your Mac and your Gmail account has been hacked.

Was just a bit worried it was something on my mac that had cracked the keychain app or something, so had access to my passwords...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom