• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My Gmail got hacked - how can I scan my MBP for nasty stuff?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Just before 1am, my gmail was hijacked and a flood of emails sent to every address in my account; and since it's Google, it was also sent to every email address I've ever emailed or been emailed from! So a couple thousand emails in under 3mins - which was how long it took me to get out of bed, downstairs, turn on computer, log into gmail and shut down all services till I could find out what was happening. Google gmail activity reported an IP in China was responsible, and strangely it had activity on my account at 20:38 and 00:53. 00:53 being the time the mails were sent, but I don't know what it was doing at 20:38??

Anyway, I'm sure it's just a hijacking, and hopefully now it's resolved by locking them out and changing my password.

However, is there anything I can use to scan my MBP for anything that shouldn't be there? I know Mac's aren't supposed to get virus' or trojans etc, but I'd rather be safe. (even tho I suspect it has nothing to do with my actual computer, since my gmail is web based, not local mail as if I were using Outlook or Mail)

I know on PC's I could use a variety of scanning tools - AVG, AdAware, SpyBot, Trend Micro, etc etc.

Whats good to use on Mac?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I have XP installed in VMWare, so not on a seperate partition. However I haven't used it for a good while, and barely do, nor really use the net much on it anyway, so I presume it's not a problem?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Well I ran a scan with iAntiVirus and it found nothing. not sure if that's good or bad, haha!

Benefits of Sohpos over iAntiVirus?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Well I ran a scan with iAntiVirus and it found nothing. not sure if that's good or bad, haha!

Benefits of Sohpos over iAntiVirus?

I believe it also searches for Windows nasties, which is handy in case you share a network with Windows machine and thus don't want to pass anything that while, it won't affect your mac can cause a problem foir Windows

spudtator

I believe it also searches for Windows nasties, which is handy in case you share a network with Windows machine and thus don't want to pass anything that while, it won't affect your mac can cause a problem foir Windows

I can confirm Sophos also scans for Windows nasties. Found a couple of trojans on my Mac. Turns out they were contained in some .jar files I downloaded for a Megadrive emulator.
But as you say, doesn't sound as if it's anything on your Mac and your Gmail account has been hacked.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Was just a bit worried it was something on my mac that had cracked the keychain app or something, so had access to my passwords...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom