My garage to home cinema conversion 2020.

ufo550

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always been green with envy of others home cinemas. We moved to a new build house last year, and the internal garage was earmarked for a home cinema conversion from the beginning.

So in the New Year I will be starting. I intend to do most of it myself, mostly at weekends. I've posted here today, Xmas Day 2019, to kind of ensure its completed for Xmas 2020, peer pressure and all that.

I know almost diddly squat about AV, but have been reading here, getting some knowledge & ideas. I'm not sure what system to have, what kit to buy or even how much I will be spending. So I will be keen to hear of advice on that.

I've not drawn up any plans as such yet, but it will be done on the back of a fag packet. We've spent a fair bit on getting the rear garden done, so I can't afford to get any professional advice or planning. As you can see, my first task will be to get a skip(s). The remnants of my closed electrical business, and the last bits of crap from the old house.

IMG_4021.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG

The only thing I do know, is I would like a projector and acoustically transparent screen. The misses also wants the room to double as a playroom for our young grandchild, so no fixed seating I suspect. I would like it to be able to accommodate about 4 people. The dimensions of the existing garage is 5900mm x 2900mm. So I suppose my first question, is the project realistic with those dimensions? From what I've read, I think its a goer.

For 'cinema' use, I will be watching films supplied by Sky Q, Ultra HD player, I might even start downloading stuff? I'll also use it to watch F1. I'm also keen to have it well soundproofed, so as not to upset the neighbours and not wake the misses up, when I watch my F1 at odd hours, and or she can watch her tv programmes in the house.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Your garage is slightly wider and longer than mine, and I managed to fully sound proof and fit 5 seats (link in sig).

What are you planning to do with the garage door end?
I want to keep some storage, plus the door is an up and over door, which I don’t really want to replace. So I intend to spit it roughly a third and two thirds. I’ll post some measurements in due course.

Edit; thanks for your link, seem to recall reading your thread before. I’ll have a more thorough read, when I have time.

Last edited:
Thanks for your link, what is your kit list? Did you do any sound proofing?

It was an internal garage so had some soundproofing already. I didn't do any extra. Kit list as follows:

JVC x30 projector
Marantz 6013 av receiver
KEF r300 L&R
KEF r200 centre
KEF r100 rear
KEF eggs (*4) Atmos heights
BK monolith DF subwoofer
Panasonic ub820 Blu-ray
HTPC
I've also kept a Panasonic G20 37" TV as a monitor. Saves switching projector all the time for minor tweaks or file transfers.

I'm projecting direct onto wall. Didn't keep any storage space so removed up and over door.

Upgrade bug keeps hitting so will upgrade sub to SVS in future.

Last edited:
My measurements brick to brick width of the room is 2940mm. So that’s ok? Length (allowing for my storage) brick to face of screen, would be 3050mm. Is that feasible, or do I need to rethink?

Depends on which construction method you use, but width should be okay for at least a 92" screen - bigger if you fit a fixed AT screen.

3m length is minimum, depends on projector throw and if you want .2 or .4 atmos. The mlp needs to be in front of the rear atmos speakers in a .4 setup, but not too close to the screen.

3.5m to 4m would be better.

Gone threw your thread @adam-burnley , very useful. Will shamelessly steal your ideas! I see in #225 you itemised prices for the sound proofing bits. I see you've used Gyproc Soundblock & Gyproc Plank. Can you tell how they're used, do you put one on top of the other, with the Green Glue?

Gone threw your thread @adam-burnley , very useful. Will shamelessly steal your ideas! I see in #225 you itemised prices for the sound proofing bits. I see you've used Gyproc Soundblock & Gyproc Plank. Can you tell how they're used, do you put one on top of the other, with the Green Glue?
Steal away, after all I got most of my ideas from other threads.

I only used Planc on the ceiling first layer, Soundbloc for the second layer. Soundbloc was used for both wall layers to mimimise the overall depth, as didn't want to lose too much space.

Yes, Green Glue was used in between each plasterboard layer. I also staggered each board so that the joins were completely covered. I did fill the joins with acoustic sealant anyway, but the more you can do to eliminate any gaps the better.

What did you use the Gyproc Plank for?
Depth, at 19mm it's possibly the thickest board available. I could accept the extra loss of depth on the ceiling, so opted for a combination of Planc and Soundbloc to maximise the soundproofing effectiveness. Definitely worked as can't hear anything in the room above, other than bass of course.

Depth, at 19mm it's possibly the thickest board available. I could accept the extra loss of depth on the ceiling, so opted for a combination of Planc and Soundbloc to maximise the soundproofing effectiveness. Definitely worked as can't hear anything in the room above, other than bass of course.
Argh I see. Thanks.

I’ve started to revise my plans. I’m going to replace my up and over garage door, as the guides extend too far into my proposed cinema room. Will replace with a roller door, so first big expense.

My thoughts on sound proofing, is adding an internal timber stud frame work, resilient frames, double plasterboard with rock wool in the cavity.

My other idea, is to install a suspended plasterboard ceiling below this, to install cabling, lighting etc. Will leave a gap around the edge, for access and further LED lighting. Is that a flawed plan, in that it might spoil the audio effect; I’m not very picky with sound?

Good luck with your project. Without hijacking your thread. Let me know if you’re interested in my AT screen. It’s a Seymour UF 103” wide CinemaScope with side masking for 16:9 content. Only 9 months old and in as new condition.

I’ve received my pre application advice from my LBC.

I can confirm that the proposal will require planning permission as a condition on the original planning consent for the development removed Permitted Development rights for any alterations, additions, or other works to the property.

Which was the response I expected. So I better crack on with the application.

I have had my garage converted around 10 years ago.
It is attached to the house.
When done we bricked up the external door, removed the garage door, and opened out into the hall.
We went with the dob and dab plasterboard, the walls were already insulated with breeze block on both sides of the cavity on the house side.
What i have found and it is still the same is that sound escapes around the internal door, you can stand outside and hear nothing but indoors and up the stairs the sound escapes.
It has gone through 3 changes in that time.
To start with we had a computer desk at one end with a PC on it, 2 seater sofa with a couple of bean bags for the kids. I fitted a projector and 80 inch screen with my AV system.
At some time we removed the computer desk and moved the sofa to the end of the room.
2 years ago i redid the room.
Redecorated and replaced the halogen spots with LED spots.
At this point i changed the projector set up to a 65 inch UHD screen.
Most recent change is a new corner unit from Next instead of the 2 seater.

All the time of having the projector in place I was always wary of the bulb lifetime so we ended up using the room less than we should have.

Between the projector and halogen bulbs the heat build up was a lot.
Also consider that you need darkness for the projector.

Changing the room to how it is now has meant we use the room almost every day now, whether to listen to music, playing on the Xbox or listening to records.

Think about where you want cables to go etc and fit some trunking.
When I came to change and fit the TV this was invaluable.
plan it all out.

Fitting the lights sounds like a great idea

Hi there,

I wen't through a similar project with our new build, the garage was a slightly smaller size than yours at 2.6m x 5.8m approx.
I used 2.6m x 3.4m for the Cinema sections and the remaining area for a treadmill and study desk.

After thinking about it long and hard, I ended up going for a OLED screen route and decided split the room into two sections for better functionality.

I thought about going down the projector route but it would have ended up being a pitch black room to enhance the short-falls in projector technology when it comes to HDR / Dolby Vision etc. This would mean it would become a room rarely used for anything else.

Have you looked at OLED options instead?

Here is my setup Garage Conversion Home Cinema. Dolby Vision & Atmos.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Riz

Change the garage door for the roller shutter type and gain some more space. you only want enough space left for the essential stuff, then once the internal wall is built this will leave you more space for the acoustic screen set up . as your going acoustic screen in my opinion i would go as wide as posible as you have no speakers to worry about at the l/r of the screen, this will be good for 16.9 veiwing and also give you a good sized 2.35.1 screen as well. you have enough depth to get the pj back far enough to deal with it. Iv'e upgraded my screen twice now and i should have just gone as big as possible from day one. also you dont want any windows if its a dedicated room, the darker the better. this will help pj and contrast.

Hi there,

I wen't through a similar project with our new build, the garage was a slightly smaller size than yours at 2.6m x 5.8m approx.
I used 2.6m x 3.4m for the Cinema sections and the remaining area for a treadmill and study desk.

After thinking about it long and hard, I ended up going for a OLED screen route and decided split the room into two sections for better functionality.

I thought about going down the projector route but it would have ended up being a pitch black room to enhance the short-falls in projector technology when it comes to HDR / Dolby Vision etc. This would mean it would become a room rarely used for anything else.

Have you looked at OLED options instead?

Here is my setup Garage Conversion Home Cinema. Dolby Vision & Atmos.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Riz
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look at your thread.

I’ve kinda set my heart on a projector & screen, and largest screen I can get. I was going for OLED tv for my lounge, but the largest seems to be 85”, and pricy for one bit of kit. Take your point though.

Change the garage door for the roller shutter type and gain some more space. you only want enough space left for the essential stuff, then once the internal wall is built this will leave you more space for the acoustic screen set up . as your going acoustic screen in my opinion i would go as wide as posible as you have no speakers to worry about at the l/r of the screen, this will be good for 16.9 veiwing and also give you a good sized 2.35.1 screen as well. you have enough depth to get the pj back far enough to deal with it. Iv'e upgraded my screen twice now and i should have just gone as big as possible from day one. also you dont want any windows if its a dedicated room, the darker the better. this will help pj and contrast.
I’ve got a quote for a roller door.

Thanks for the advice on the acoustic screen, seen that in other threads, seems the way to go, for this width of room.

For all’s info, I’ve put my works on hold now, due to my LBC wanting planning permission application. Pain in the bum, but I don’t want to spend money, if they or others object.

I’ve got a quote for a roller door.

Thanks for the advice on the acoustic screen, seen that in other threads, seems the way to go, for this width of room.

For all’s info, I’ve put my works on hold now, due to my LBC wanting planning permission application. Pain in the bum, but I don’t want to spend money, if they or others object.
Are you sure you need planning permission, we only required Building Control?
What we did was get written approval from the Builders as they were still building on our development when we started the work. The approved as the window we had installed was the same colour + match of the existing ones.

Usually if you are not changing the external appearance of your home and sticking with a garage door at the front, it shouldn't usually need planning permission. Worth double checking. :)

Regarding going down the projector route, the best option would be to mount the screen at the front of the garage in-front of your roller door.. You'll need to get a partition installed with good insulation to stop any draft getting it etc. however going down this route really does make it a single use movie room.
If you decide to mount the projector the short side with a wider sofa like the one I have, you will be limited by projector choices due to the throw distances required. So it will be a compromise.

It worth considering a larger 85" QLED/LED screen perhaps? Still will have a better picture than projector and it would allow the room to be used for other activities too without it being totally blacked out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom