My garage to home cinema conversion 2020.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Thought I’d drop you some images of my internal garage conversion. This was done 3yrs ago. Fully sound-proofed (well as much as I could!). Might give you some inspiration. Screen is a 94” Sapphire.

Speakers have been upgraded very recently to something else!
Do you have a build thread on this? Just interested why your damp proof memebrane is over your side walls?

Porschecraig

Do you have a build thread on this? Just interested why your damp proof memebrane is over your side walls?
No I don’t I’m afraid.

the membrane is over the side walls to make sure it is sealed dry, no use on putting on the flat and then water gets on top of it!

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
No I don’t I’m afraid.

the membrane is over the side walls to make sure it is sealed dry, no use on putting on the flat and then water gets on top of it!
I think you misunderstood I appreciate the membrane has to go up the wall, however I thought it would’ve gone up then the stud wall over it?

Porschecraig

I think you misunderstood I appreciate the membrane has to go up the wall, however I thought it would’ve gone up then the stud wall over it?
That was only the first stud wall! A 2nd was installed as part of sound proofing

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member

ufo550

Thought I’d drop you some images of my internal garage conversion. This was done 3yrs ago. Fully sound-proofed (well as much as I could!). Might give you some inspiration. Screen is a 94” Sapphire.

Speakers have been upgraded very recently to something else!
Thanks, didn’t get notification of your posts. Nice one. What’s the length of your room. Ive had to keep some storage at the front of my existing garage.

Baggy

Funny how different Local Authorities can be, I only need Building Regs approval for the extension to my garage as it came under Permitted Development.

Attachments

• 8D71FD00-80C2-4C99-8226-35FB567B9D2B.jpeg
    8D71FD00-80C2-4C99-8226-35FB567B9D2B.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 463

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I keep seeing building regs wanting windows put in for fire escape means, what If you have no door onto the rest of the house can it not just count as open plan. I really don’t want to put one in mine I want to leave the garage door on, it will have a door leading to the dining room with escape to the garden via doors there.

Baggy

Mine is not connected to our house and although I’m putting in a window it wasn’t required by my council.
Replacing the up and over door with a roller door to keep it looking like a garage from the road but will have an internal stud wall built behind and a separate access door

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Mine is not connected to our house and although I’m putting in a window it wasn’t required by my council.
Replacing the up and over door with a roller door to keep it looking like a garage from the road but will have an internal stud wall built behind and a separate access door
cheers pal thats exactly what i want to do

ufo550

I keep seeing building regs wanting windows put in for fire escape means, what If you have no door onto the rest of the house can it not just count as open plan. I really don’t want to put one in mine I want to leave the garage door on, it will have a door leading to the dining room with escape to the garden via doors there.
A fire escape window is required, if the means of escape is through another room to the outside, so going through your dining room to the outside, may mean you will need one. Hallway is not classed as a room in these circumstances. The window has to be a minimum size, and height from the FFL.

You could contact your LBC for guidance.

Porschecraig

Thanks, didn’t get notification of your posts. Nice one. What’s the length of your room. Ive had to keep some storage at the front of my existing garage.
The room is 3.5m x 5m. Boxed areas at back one is housing the boiler and the other side is matching size which houses all my equipment

ufo550

The room is 3.5m x 5m. Boxed areas at back one is housing the boiler and the other side is matching size which houses all my equipment
Thanks for info. My garage is a recent new build, and I have to keep space for storage, so my end space will be 4300mm x 2800mm. What size screen do you have and what distance is your projector from the screen?

ufo550

Well my boast didn’t come to fruition. I’ve got to installing my stud work, furring bars and insulation.

Taking the day off Xmas day, mainly not to pee off the neighbourhood; I’ve been drilling, sawing and banging at weekends, since the beginning of November. I’ve nowhere to store materials, so been working around them in the garage. Driveway looks like an untidy building site. The neighbours must be pleased.

I’ll be finishing off (to pre-boarding), having a tidy up. I’ll post some more pics Sunday........hopefully.

ufo550

I've had my second week off work this year, no hols because of Covid, so had to use them or loose them. But least I've got on a bit.

This week, I've been putting up the two planks of plasterboard on my walls and replaced my CU. Had a bit of help lifting sheets into position, but mostly by myself. Flipping knackered. I'll post some pics on Sunday, when I've had a clear up.

Looking forward to the nicer & more interesting parts of the project next. Going to build a soffit, to house atmos speakers, speaker cables, lighting and MVHR ducting. I've decided on having a star ceiling by Starscape, so need to consider how I construct the soffit. I have a few ideals, but made out of mdf.

ufo550

Got some paint on the walls, and the perimeter boxing is up.

Nightmare with it though, as the ceiling was not level, about 15mm out in places. So I made the screen end plumb level, but the sides and back adjusted, so the boxing was the same depth.

IMG_5729.JPG
IMG_5790.JPG
IMG_5791.JPG

I've made contact with my local Richer Sounds, and will be going to the showroom, when allowed.
Once my boxing is up and covered, I'l be getting my AC installed, electrics checked, and sorting my StarScape Ceiling.

Not quite decided what to do with my AT screen. I had intended to cover with curtains, when not being used, but her indoors put the kybosh on that. Probably going to have an electric roller blind.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber expands Lumina speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch Heritage Forte IV speakers now available in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Primare unveils NP5 Prisma MK2 network player for August
  • By Andy Bassett