1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My fundamental problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by xx396, Sep 15, 2005.

1. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking for the ultimate in a wife proofing remote and I obviously want one with a macro/sequential mode but the fundamental issue is cycle buttons. On my Panasonic TV, TV and AV aren't seperate buttons so theres no telling what the sequence is. There are plenty other of examples like the aspect button which will require a different number of presses according to the starting point. For me this makes the whole idea out of the question or is there something more clever that you can do which I'm missing!

2. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This has been my concern too. Especially with ensuring that the correct input is selected for DVD, VCR etc.

The best way around this is the use of discrete IR codes (if you can find them and/or if they exist for your TV). These codes are often used as discrete off or on commands (instead of the usual toggle on/off on a single button). I'm hoping I can find discrete codes for my Panasonic TX-LXD50 input selections.

Good place to look for discrete codes is www.remotecentral.com

3. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A couple of other suggestions:

- If you always use a Macro to switch inputs or whatever, then you should always know where you are. For example, by default I keep mine set to the Digibox inopt as that's what I use most - if I use the Play DVD Macro, I know how many times a press of the input button is needed to get from Digibox > DVD and then when I run the Stop DVD Macro I know how many presses are needed to go from DVD > Digibox, ie; back where I started.
    - Another possibility is that your TV may have a button dedicated to one specific input. For examle, my Panasonic Plasma has a dedicated PC button for the PC input. From there, it's always a known number of button presses to get where you want.

Hope that helps.

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That's right Dave R. The PC button is discrete, so that followed by input will take you to video2 etc. However, Panasonics are quite good with discrete codes. I have managed to get dicrete codes for my plasma for the various inputs (Vid1, Vid2) as well as for the various aspect ratios, so one code will take me straight to Just or zoom or 16:9 etc. Of course there's also the discrete on and off. xx396, what model panasonic do you have, I'm sure we could get you going on a pronto.

5. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Harmony 655 (and other remote in the range) can utilise the cycle button function and also rember the last posiiton they were in so it knows how many cycles to get the correct input.

Go to the logictech (who own harmony) website and take a test drive of the remote functionality.