My Freeview has gone.......please help me find it!!

Reaction score
Hi folks,
happy Xmas to you all.
Have to say mine could be better as my Freeview has taken a walk.
I have 4 TV's, three have gone bad.
My main TV is fine as it's a Sky system. My others have suddenly gone very bad. I generally can't gat any sort of picture on my kitchen & bedroom tellies. Up until very recently they were all 100% okay, but a few days ago they all went wrong at the same time, obviously a signal fault.
My roof ariel is still on my roof & is pointing in the same direction as all the others down my road.
I have a signal amp in the loft which appears to be working fine too.
If I manage to get any sort of picture it is very blocky & generally freezes for several minutes at a time.
This is what I'm facing :

p1000676p.jpg

p1000678fz.jpg

p1000679h.jpg

p1000682a.jpg

transmitterinfo.jpg

I hope someone has time to share their thoughts & I apologise for the length of this post, I didn't want to miss anything out.
Many thanks,

Slime58.

P.S. Keep it simple, like me really!

It would be handy if you had a back-to-back female coax connector.

You could remove the incoming aerial from the amplifier input and connect it directly to one of the output cables and see if you get a decent signal on the appropriate television.

If OK it would tend to indicate that the distribution amplifier has a problem.

Is there any small box on the aerial mast itself? [ i.e. a mast amplifier]

.. and have you added any new equipment recently - especially anything connected to the TV with an HDMI lead?
These are notorious for knocking out Freeview.

If the sky box is connected to the TV via HDMI, try disconnecting it temporarily and check if you get Freeview back on the other TV's

It would be handy if you had a back-to-back female coax connector.

You could remove the incoming aerial from the amplifier input and connect it directly to one of the output cables and see if you get a decent signal on the appropriate television.

Will try that tomorrow.

If OK it would tend to indicate that the distribution amplifier has a problem.

My signal amplifier is brand new & I believe it's working okay.

Is there any small box on the aerial mast itself? [ i.e. a mast amplifier]

Can't see. Where on the mast would it be?

.. and have you added any new equipment recently - especially anything connected to the TV with an HDMI lead?
These are notorious for knocking out Freeview.

No new gear at all & no HDMI cables.

If the sky box is connected to the TV via HDMI, try disconnecting it temporarily and check if you get Freeview back on the other TV's

Thanks for the tips GavTech,
will report back asap,

Slime58

cannot get my tv to work today (xmas day) or my tv with a digital box attached upstairs. saying no signal on my big tv and it switches for a second or two to a distorted picture. Tried retuning but to no avail. I am in the West Yorkshire area of England. The tv's have been fine until today. Anyone else experiencing problems. I had to watch corrie on my Smartphone (no problem with picture there) any idea what could be wrong.

I meant to say that it is a new Sony Bravia tv with built in freeview. It has only found 21 channels but again saying No Signal.

the picture is blocky like your screen. No problems until today. Is there a transmitter or something down.

It has been windy today. Check that your aerial looks OK... and check your aerial connections.

cannot get my tv to work today (xmas day) or my tv with a digital box attached upstairs. saying no signal on my big tv and it switches for a second or two to a distorted picture. Tried retuning but to no avail. I am in the West Yorkshire area of England. The tv's have been fine until today. Anyone else experiencing problems. I had to watch corrie on my Smartphone (no problem with picture there) any idea what could be wrong.

I am in Surrey, must be different problems.

I am in Surrey, must be different problems.

First thing I would check is the thin moulded white coax interconnects at the top of the photo. They often go open circuit. Make up your own with decent coax.

s there any small box on the aerial mast itself? [ i.e. a mast amplifier]

Can't see. Where on the mast would it be?

Usually this would be under the aerial on the pole, but tbh i cant see there being one as you are using a distribution amp in the loft.
As suggested make sure the aerial cable in , is in properly as it looks like it could pull out the way its hanging :p
And also as suggested i would make ur own connections and get rid of those horrid white ready made leads.
If it dosnt work then at least we have eliminated that process.
Blue light on amp means in theory it should be working.

is there any small box on the aerial mast itself? [ i.e. a mast amplifier]
Usually this would be under the aerial on the pole, but tbh i cant see there being one as you are using a distribution amp in the loft.

Hi mate,
is this the mast amplifier that I'm looking for?
If so, how can it be checked?
Hope the photos are okay, I'm presuming it's the thing that looks like a plug. If it is, how is it attached to the mast & can it work loose?

p1000683x.jpg

And in close up,
p1000684yd.jpg

All the best,

Slime58.

P.S. I think the mast is 30yrs old or more. Relevant?

That's not an amplifier. Judging by the unsecured coax cable you will probably find the wind moving the cable has fractured the coax centre core conductor. Minor miracle it's lasted has long as it has.

Look at your neighbours installation.

One for Justins Cowboy gallery.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cowboyslocker.html

Last edited:
That's not an amplifier. Judging by the unsecured coax cable you will probably find the wind moving the cable has fractured the coax centre core conductor. Minor miracle it's lasted has long as it has.

Look at your neighbours installation.

One for Justins Cowboy gallery.

Cowboys` Locker, or how to install a TV aerial, not.

Thanks grahamlthompson,
so what's the cure?
New cable or new cable & aerial?
Is it a DIY thing or would it have to be a registered aerial fitter?

Thanks mate,

Slime58.

Thanks grahamlthompson,
so what's the cure?
New cable or new cable & aerial?
Is it a DIY thing or would it have to be a registered aerial fitter?

Thanks mate,

Slime58.

Judging by the aerial both :D

If you can get at the aerial safely a very straightforward job. Looking at your figures a log periodic would seem to fit the bill.

A DM log should be adequate. These normally use f connectors.

https://www.satalogue.com/tech/page10.htm

Use sat grade WF100/PF100 cable.

See here for aerial types.

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV

Secure the coax to the mast with insulation tape like your neighbours., and note the vertical element orientation.

With numbers like that if you use an aerial with more gain like a log40 you may be able to put it in the loft. No harm in trying first.

I get perfect reception from Lark Stoke nearly 30 mls away with a log40 in the loft.

Last edited:
That's a terrible looking installation. The cable may simply need reconnecting at its junction box - with appropriate clamping of the downlead (ty-wraps) etc. It could have pulled out or snapped in the wind.
It appears that the cable was at one time at least held to the mast with tape - but tape degrades with age and UV light exposure; self amalgamating tape is better in that respect.
OTOH it may need replacing - can't tell without visual and electrical inspection.
The better aerial installers will be the ones that locals can personally recommend after a good install experience.
(same as with builders, plumbers, electricians and so on - talk to local friends and neighbours).

Last edited:
It also looks as though the connection boot may be dislodged... so until this problem is attended to I suggest you remove the aerial amplifier input lead.

Water infamously gets pulled down aerial cables and it will take the amplifier with it if it reaches there.

Thanks for all your help & advice chaps.
I'm thinking of popping up the ladder tomorrow for a closer inspection. The problem I'll have is that the gap between houses is only about 5 feet so the ladder will be almost vertical :eek: !!!
Ah well, it's been good chatting to you lot anyway!
Don't suppose anyone's got a helicopter they could lower me down from :laugh:.
Any good tips for a 30' ladder climb?

Thanks again guys,

Slime58.

P.S. New aerial cable too?

Last edited:

Don't look down. :lesson:

Better still, get someone else to do it! :laugh:

Incidentally, I know you were joking about the helicoptor, but that's exactly how the transmitting aerials have been replaced all over the country in readiness for DSO.

Many a true word... :)

Thanks for all your help & advice chaps.
I'm thinking of popping up the ladder tomorrow for a closer inspection. The problem I'll have is that the gap between houses is only about 5 feet so the ladder will be almost vertical :eek: !!!
Ah well, it's been good chatting to you lot anyway!
Don't suppose anyone's got a helicopter they could lower me down from :laugh:.

Thanks again guys,

Slime58.

P.S. New aerial cable too?

Try the loft option first. It might save your life :D

Hi again,
I've just been onto a site called Wolfbane, put in my postcode & it gave me the following information.

72079664.png

Is anyone out there able to translate it for me?
I think it's recommending a Logic Period aerial for me.........is this so?
Also, does it tell me the signal strength from the transmitter?

Many thanks again,

Slime58.

Last edited:
Hi again,
I've just been onto a site called Wolfbane, put in my postcode & it gave me the following information.

Is anyone out there able to translate it for me?
I think it's recommending a Logic Period aerial for me.........is this so?
Also, does it tell me the signal strength from the transmitter?

Many thanks again,

Slime58.

Your post 1 from the dtg site has more information. As I said in my post log periodic.

DM log outside (might work in the loft)

Better for the loft Log40.

Vision Log 40 Aerial, Simplyaerials

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom