1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Forgotten Formats

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kokoshka, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kokoshka

kokoshka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sitting here looking at the surviving two metres or so of my once extensive vinyl collection, which is never played (I'm almost an audiophile, but never an analogue purist, and in addition the no longer replaceable drive belt on my record deck is slacker than socks, giving a whole new meaning to wow and flutter). Alongside is a tea chest full of old compact cassettes, quietly shedding their information. I had planned to transfer both these collections onto minidisk when I bought into the format some years back. Of course I never did, and aren't I glad. Three shoeboxes bulging with disks, unplayable since my last player died, stand testimony to the tyranny of the industry, inasmuch as the paying public are so often left high and dry. So it was with a smile on my face that I fell asleep last night. I'd suddenly realised that, since I'm about to buy my first DAP, I will no longer have to buy a blank every time I buy a new album. I'll save space and money, which is a definate plus for the apparently somewhat flawed MP3 medium. With the money saved I could go on to buy a second 20gb player, and get 'round the battery life problem. After all, they're so tiny!

2. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Must admit ive loads of vinyl albums and been wondering what to do with them !! I stare at them once in a while scratch my head and stick another cd in the player !

3. kokoshka

kokoshka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello KevH, I'm sure Blue Peter has it covered. Fruit bowls?

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never liked LPs. I know they're meant to be better/more faithful/blah blah, who cares ... for me, they never stayed static (or scratch/skip) free, no matter how fastidious I was with them. Almost nothing irritated me more than putting on an album that was meant to have lots of beautiful quiet bits, only to have to sit through that near-constantly popping, clicking, crackingly backing track that so often ruined my enjoyment!

I'll be honest: I preferred tape cassette. No, I'm not demented - though others have their doubts. Yes, there was an annoying background hiss (often, more than to be found on LPs), but it was a CONSISTENT hiss!! Like when you get used to the fact that one of your favourite FM radio stations will never quite sound perfect, but you cease to hear the static because it's not constantly popping, clicking, etc, etc.

Then, God bless 'em, came CDs. 'Clinical', some criticised. 'Cold', said others. 'Lacking in warmth, depth, blah, blah ...', said countless more. 'Couldn't care less', say I! We live in the digital age. We have technology (perhaps not widely available at the CD's birth, but certainly so now) that can compensate for the CD's inability to sound as warm, rich, full-flavoured or whatever as good ole LPs. And what makes this format a delight - beyond its portability, ease of storage and numerous other pluses - is that when there are quiet bits in the sound, those bits are QUIET!! Which is just :censored: bliss to my ears.

But oh, how I wish we'd more widely adopted MiniDisc instead ... :( Hey, look on the bright side: we have HDDs now, flash memory improving all the time ... and one day, even water will be used to store data. Think I'm kidding? Search the BBC Online News archives for a science feature on how they managed to store a digital picture (albeit for nano seconds at present) in a drop of water.

God, I love the ever-unstoppable march of technological evolution!

5. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm in my mid 50's and have been buying music LP's since my teens so you can imagine I've got shelves full of both LP's and Cassettes which I'm still trying to bring myself to get shot of.

Whenever I bought an LP it was committed to cassette on first play using a very expensive 3 head recorder and top quality tapes and then put away so the majority of them have probably only been played once or twice in their lives!

Over time I've managed to rip virtually all those that I deemed worthy although in hindsight I wish I'd done them in uncompressed .wav instead of MP3. To be sure it would have taken lot's of HD space or CD's but at least I would have had original quality copies which I could have further ripped down as neccessary but no way I'm going through them again.

With a bit of effort most stuff can be found online now anyway and whatever the legalities personally I would have no qualms about downloading a copy of something I already owned on LP/Tape.

EBay of course is the answer and some of the LP's I have I've seen selling for worthwhile sums, I just need to get off my fat a***...........Maybe a car boot sale...........?

Re the MiniDisk format, if Sony had made the format more open and user friendy I'm sure it would have taken off massively but as it was they doggedly trod their own path and IMHO have lost out big time as a result, their belated token support for MP3 is testament to that.

Here's an off the wall thought - how about an LP/Tape swap forum/thread. No cash just swaps or even givewaways just for the cost of the postage ?

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Errr yes ! :suicide:

Doesn't look very well supported though does it ?

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,641
    Keeping vinyl servicable isn't too much of a bind IMO. A good brush and a dust free storage enviroment has been enough for me. Of course you can't beat the first play of a new record- as my Credit Card knows to its cost :laugh:.

CD has of late got interesting again with some cracking players out there. I'm 24 so CD is my natural format and the one I grew up with. I'm one of those people that doesn't believe that a £1000 CD player and £1000 turntable are not conclusively better than one another, they both have key strengths and weaknesses. Its hard to quantify but I'd prefer to listen to Little Feat on the turntable and Cassius on the CD player every time.

9. kokoshka

kokoshka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    "But oh, how I wish we'd more widely adopted MiniDisc instead ... Hey, look on the bright side: we have HDDs now, flash memory improving all the time ... and one day, even water will be used to store data. Think I'm kidding? Search the BBC Online News archives for a science feature on how they managed to store a digital picture (albeit for nano seconds at present) in a drop of water."

I'll drink to that, though perhaps not the entire family album. Regarding vinyl, I ultimately could not reconcile the ritual with the result. Removing an album from it's sleeve without actually touching it, clamping it to the platter with a third party, anti-warp gadget, shooting it with an anti-static gun and finally cleaning both stylus and playing surface with a micro-filament brush seemed like a curious prelude to 'Anarchy in the UK'. The only thing I really miss is the large format album art. Good, thick ink and legible info. And I do like the idea of swaps and trade.

Older and wiser now, my personal perspective clear. I still can't decide on which DAP though, I feel another thread coming on...