1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Flickering HT300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by docsmith2k1, Jan 13, 2003.

1. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I need some help with my PJ again. I have had some problems with screen flicker as documented in earlier post. Well Owl did eventually replace my unit for a new one. The problem is I still get this flicker. I is nowhere near as bad as before but is still definitely present. Do any other Sim owners HT200, 250, or specifically 300 users have this problem, or know what the cause could be. I am tired of changing bulbs, I though a new unit would be the answer - but apparently not. If I leave it long enough will it settle? Could it be the mains, I do have an isolated ring main for the home theatre equipment. Is this something other Sim2 owners have experienced.

2. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and i don't have this problem - in fact my projector has generally been great.

Maybe its a HT300 only problem or maybe you are just unlucky twice?

Good luck

CaM

3. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Andy,

This isn't good that you are still experiencing this :(
    I've probably reached about 100hrs on my HT300 (not the +) and can honestly say I haven't seen anything that you describe
    When my component leads were installed I did make sure they were nowhere near any mains cables - I'm sure I've read somewhere that mains interference can cause this?

I expect you've tried a different lead but maybe give S-vid a go if you can borrow one long enough?
    If you've still got the DV27 have you tried interlaced/progressive?
    Maybe even hookup a different player?
    Try and eliminate a few possibilities...

There is a settling in period but all I have found is the bulb dims slightly

I hope some of what I have said helps.....
    Good luck mate and if you need anything else you know where I am

Best wishes

4. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have not noticed anything that could be described as "flickering" on video or film sources, but I used to in PC monitor mode, but that seems to have disappeared now.

5. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Steve

I have run through all the suggestions you made. In fact the problem is even apparent on the PJs own setup test patterns, so it seems as if its source independant - which is why I wonder if its a power supply problem, 'cos if its not that I must have just had two duff 300's

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Andy,

Well that's always a possibility but how much of a coincidence would that be? :(

So if it's apparent on the tests then the only thing I can think of is the power supply. Was the power chord exchanged as well with this other HT300?, could you try one of the european leads that comes with the pj to eliminate that?

If it still does it then it looks like a call to your dealer/installer and back to Owl, unless anyone else has any better ideas?

LMK

All the best

7. JRPaynter

JRPaynter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a lamp problem to me.I have just put a new lamp in my 300+ for that very reason.Now totally flicker free.

JRPaynter

8. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    JR,

You won't have seen the earlier thread I alluded to in the opening post but I have had 3 bulbs, two video boards and two PJs so far. Owl have been very helpful, along with my dealer in trying to isolate the problem. Owls expert even installed the second PJ for me - but the problem remains. I must admit we didn't change the power cable as the one I am using is buried in the ceiling space - but as they are simple kettle leads it may be worth a try.

Andy

9. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Has to be worth a go Andy..and don't forget to try it using a mains extension lead from another mains ring to eliminate the possibility of power fluctuation.
    I don't suppose there is anything near the pj that could be causing interference?

I remember reading that Philips had made a somewhat less than reliable bulb at one point that caused flickering but that was ages ago....:confused:

All the best

10. JRPaynter

JRPaynter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0