1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My flexi rack idea, please comment!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by wassap, Apr 24, 2002.

1. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi there im gonna design my own version of the flexi rack, basically im gonna use 5, 3/4 inch thick mdf shelves, still use the threaded rods, but im gonna use m16 (16mm dia ) rods and instead off using nuts in between the shelves im gonna use a metal tube (that way i can finish the tube in a color i want). will this idea be ok? the rack is gonna be around a meter tall, and the shelves are gonna be 40 ins wide and 17 ins deep, im gonna be putting a tv on top, so im making it quite large.

what do u guys think, any suggestions? i was gonna use wood sections instead of metal tubes, but its gonna be too much hassle to drill the wood, and i can get the tube cheaper than the wood.

also if anyone in the west mids wants the rods and tubes cheap i have tel no`s for ya.

cheers for any help

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sounds OK but dont know about the load, stability have a look at apollohifi in tipton or on the web I just found them and they seem V reasonable, I was going to go for homemade but I think I will look them up when I am in the area they should be nice and give you some advice if not you can see how the pros do it If you do get in touch let me know what
    they are like in real world.
    Ta HD

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Wassap,

A span of 40 inches for 19MM MDF will probably sag with a TV on it.

Have a look at http://www.laver.co.uk/

You could use some chunky 32mm or 36mm thick MDF, router the edges, it will look good.

MDF is available up to 60mm thick, would be a bit heavy though !

One 8x4 sheet should get you your 5 shelves (maybe)

Should only cost about £17 to £20 for a sheet of 32 or 26, and they cut to size.

Good luck,

Mark G.

4. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the replies guys, i have actually built the rack now, what i ended up doing was using a threaded rod down the middle aswell,but instead of going through the top shelf i just let a nut on the rod rest under the top shelf, and hey presto no sags.

i must admit it looks pretty good, i have gone for black shelves and pine/beech trim edging and the same for the rod covers,which were 32 mm drain pipe,slit,covered with a pine/beech look sticky back plastic type stuff. looks like a proffesional job, saved me a packet and i have exactly what i need.

cheers

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Give us a few pics m8y!