My first video with Panasonic SD40

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by wearywanderer, Sep 3, 2012.

1. wearywanderer

wearywanderer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a total newbie to camcorders and wanted to create some videos to share YouTube. So I got myself a refurbished Panasonic HDC-SD40 for USD 147... which I thought was a pretty neat deal.

Now I'm no enthusiast but I thought the video quality is a bit shoddy... but what do I know? And I wanted to get some feedback from someone else... so here's a montage I uploaded to YouTube: Panasonic HDC-SD40 testing at AquaView park - YouTube

All settings on Auto except Scene Mode set to Landscape and Rec Mode to HA1920.

The video was edited using Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 and saved as a MP4 HD file.

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    For better quality i make files in avchd 1920x1080P,the files can be loaded on your youtube upload from where you chooose to put the files before render IE main pc or an external.

3. wearywanderer

wearywanderer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yesterday I took a video with the SD40 attached to my motorcycle, which was one of my requirements... and this is what I got: Route366 - YouTube

Needless to say, its no GoPro, but I was really surprised at how bad the video came out... did I get the wrong tool for the job? Or were the settings not optimal for the conditions?

Help!:lease:

4. Chelters

Chelters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yes the motorcycle! :)
    Sounds like a V twin, far too much high frequency vibration anyway.
    You'll want a far better mount, one that isolates the camera from the vibration.
    I don't know if the SD40 has OIS switching, two different modes of stabilization, if it has try the other one.

Lets face it your Aqua park video shows the camera is not at fault.
    I hope you have some sort of filter on the front of the camera when on the bike, all that road dirt and you'll soon have a 'foggy' front lens as it gets eroded.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    As Chelters said, try a better mount -- and try the OIS both on and off.

The problem might also have something to do with the fact you have aCMOS sensor.
    This video illustrates the point :
    CMOS vs 3CCD Heavy Vibration Test

although your SD40 is a newer model than that Canon, so it should be a bit better.

If it is a rolling shutter problem --then yes, you've probably got the wrong tool for the job - unless you can improve the mounting a LOT.

But try the OIS on and off first....

There was a better comparison online, using 2 cameras mounted on motorcycles to illustrate this problem much more effectively, but for some reason it's now a 'private video' --- whatever that means?

(The guy did get a lot of comments about his video -- especially from those who simply didn't believe rolling shutter could be that bad -- and he stopped comments. But for some reason he seems to have not removed it altogether, but made it private?....)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Oh no ROGS i thought you had left this cmos bias after seeing chelters films,of note i still have my HV30 THE best HDV cam ever made,i dont film with it now as its quality is not GH2s but it took great video.No i didnt fix it to a cycle i admit :rolleyes:

7. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    ....and very impressive it was too!

Doesn't help with the footage from earlier models though!

If you read my post again, I am merely suggesting rolling shutter as an option for the reason for his problem, which may need to be checked out.
    I do not know whether the SD40 has a slow scan, and problems with vibration, or whether it's more like the newer model that Chelters was using?

If it does have a slow scan rolling shutter, he's stuffed for this kind of use.

If it doesn't, then playing with the OIS settings, and improving the mounting may help... as I suggested....

It's not really 'CMOS bias' Chris, just acquainting someone with a possible reason for his problem..

8. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I will excuse an online pal ;)