My first UST Laser Projector? Asking for some help and advice for a purchase :)

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also looking at the tv route, but the price creeps up extremely quickly over on those forums, as I did want 85", but £4k+ for anything decent was a bit much, and although 77" would be ok, a 100" UST laser projector is something I have been considering for a long time, and I'm now in a position to make a purchase.

Ideally I'd like to get one that comes with a free screen, guessing that ALR would be best for ambient light, but have read here that some believe it to be a fad. So Just a 100" UST Laser Projector with a screen would be fine too I imagine, if it's grey to help with blacks and contrast, great! I have seen a few I like the look of and some deals about like these:

Pushing it a bit with this one, but I do like the look of it:

Though I'm not sure what's good and what's not with this new tech, I've not really kept up and not able to demo it until I buy it really, so hopefully you'll be able to help steer me in the right direction as the staff I've spoken to in various stores just seem to all think everything they sell is amazing at any price point.

From my understanding, I'd be able to use this and not have to worry so much about using it more or less as a tv without a tuner?

Usage:
70% Movies and TV / 30% Gaming (Switch/1080p PC - May move to 4K PC.)... though this can shift to a 50/50 split.
A typical evening/night as dont sleep at night can be a good 8-10 hours of use, occasionally around 12+ with Movie Marathons, like back to back LOTR Extended Edition.

I'd hopefully be aiming to order one this week for delivery Friday/Saturday, but I do really need some help and advice first to make sure I make the correct purchase.

I have copied and pasted this guide shamelessly from the Best TV for me forum and questions here to help you help me find the best one to suit me:

What's your budget and size requirements?
My budget is £2500-3000 - Half to a third cash, the rest credit. I have seen a few deals around this price inclusive of a screen. I would like to go up to a 100" from my current 65" since it's a UST I'm after.
I'd rather buy new with a 6yr warranty than second hand.

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?

• Apple TV 4k - Yes
  • Nvidia Shield 4k - Yes, mostly.
  • HD Blu-Ray Player? - Not often at all. Just now and then when someone brings a disc round.
  • Games console - Yes
    • Nintendo Switch.
  • A computer - Yes.
    • nVidia GTX 1070 gaming at @1080p resolution (Though will upgrade to an RTX 3070 or or 4070?, depending on whats about when I upgrade. Was going to be a 2070, but the chip shortage happened and all hell broke loose)
What content will you watch on the TV?
  • What streaming services do you plan to use?
  • (All HD or 4K, whatever's available)
    • Apple - My iTunes collection
    • Netflix Premium
    • Amazon Prime
    • Disney+
  • Catch up TV apps,
    • BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub.
  • Broadcast TV
    • None
SD30%
HD50%
UHD20%
  • DVDs - No
  • FHD Blu-Rays - No
  • UHD Blu-Rays - No
  • Gaming - Yes
    • Mainly HD between Nintendo Switch and PC @ 1080p
    • (Maybe moving into 4K territory when I upgrade the GPU)
  • What proportion of your total viewing will be content in SD, HD or UHD?
SD20%
HD60%
UHD20%
  • What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows0%
Broadcast Sport0%
Broadcast Movies0%
Streaming TV shows or Movies70%
DVDs0%
HD Blu-Rays0%
UHD Blu-Rays0%
Games30%

Will you use internal or external apps or tuners for the following? If external, via which device?
  • Broadcast TV - No
  • Streaming services - External
  • Catch up apps - External
Situational questions:
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? - My current tv is a SAMSUNG UE65NU7470 65" which I am very happy with and will be moving into the bedroom. I have decided that I'd like a larger screen for the lounge, 100" is ample I think, if it's capable of 120" (AS WELL as 100"), I'll be changing my room around. I'm very happy with the quality of my current tv, so mainly wanting that kind of quality with a bigger screen. The main upgrade I'd like is the size.
  • Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person? - Set and forget.
  • What is your viewing distance? - 3.2m of 100" (If I change the room around which will be a nuisance, around 4m from 120" at a guess)
  • If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? (Tip, use a protractor to measure angles). - I live alone and don't have company often, so it's mainly just me sitting directly opposite the middle of the screen. When I lie down and watch, the angle is approx 45 degrees, but this is mainly tv shows (I dont have a protractor)
  • When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room? Some examples:
    • Bright conditions during the day. - Sometimes, especially in the summer. I'll have light coming through patio doors, though I can close the blackout curtains which still allow a fair amount of ambient light in the tops and sides of those doors.
    • Dark conditions during the day. - Not often, maybe once a week, I have blackout curtains.
    • Dark movie nights in the evening. - Often, I don't sleep at night well at all, so a good chunk will be at this time.
    • Always use a lamp or light in the room, even in the evening. - Not always, but often. Just one lamp or just some fairy lights, not very bright. I never use the main light.
  • Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? Please read: OLED Burn In Risk - Possibly according to the guide linked? I do play games for hours on end at a time, but no chance with channel logos/news tickers, etc...
  • Do you need any legacy connections like composite or component? - No.
  • If using planning to use an internal tuner will you use satellite or free to air? Satellite.

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:
  1. Blacks - Value
  2. Cost
  3. Blacks
  4. Shadow Detail
  5. SDR Picture Quality
  6. HDR Picture Quality - I'm not too hung up on HDR as long as it looks 'natural'. I'm honestly not sure how much content I watch actually has HDR and everything looks fine to me on my current TV.
  7. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration) - I like to tweak a little to tune to my eye, then set and forget.
  8. Sound
  9. Smart TV ease of use
  10. Smart TV app selection
  11. Viewing angles
Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:
  1. Motion blur
  2. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
  3. Motion stutter
  4. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  5. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks.
  6. Raised blacks
  7. Reflective screens
  8. Colour banding.
  9. Slow smart TV
Any extra notes you'd like to add/questions not covered here?

I just need to have some advice and recommendations, with links if you got them, and learn more before I purchase. Of course I have read through as much advice as I can, so now having a conversation with likeminded people would be helpful and beneficial.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi, that is a comprehensive breakdown of requirements. You have defo gad a think about rhis

All I would say is a alr creen is a definite requirement with a ust . Even in the dark it reflects the picture at you and stops light reflection off the walls and ceiling being as bad . (Of coursebyou can paint the walls dark but my lounge is very white)

The other thing it does take a bit of setting up so if your ok at DIY no issues or if not the hisense looks a good option . But I think these are fixed focus so you couldn't upgrade to a 120 screen if you wanted larger later

I have been very impressed with my p2 . (Appart from dynamic black settings)

As you said black levels are not great but size does matter . In my case went from oled to this and I feel the advantages do out way the disadvantages.

With the optoma you need and apple tv or sheild which you have as the smart system is a bit of a joke .

Hi, that is a comprehensive breakdown of requirements. You have defo gad a think about rhis

All I would say is a alr creen is a definite requirement with a ust . Even in the dark it reflects the picture at you and stops light reflection off the walls and ceiling being as bad . (Of coursebyou can paint the walls dark but my lounge is very white)

The other thing it does take a bit of setting up so if your ok at DIY no issues or if not the hisense looks a good option . But I think these are fixed focus so you couldn't upgrade to a 120 screen if you wanted larger later

I have been very impressed with my p2 . (Appart from dynamic black settings)

As you said black levels are not great but size does matter . In my case went from oled to this and I feel the advantages do out way the disadvantages.

With the optoma you need and apple tv or sheild which you have as the smart system is a bit of a joke .

Yep, I don’t like wasting money, and buying blind can be a challenge with no chance of a demo really, so I’d rather have a conversation with other owners.

I don’t fancy a dark decorated room, but definitely won’t be white/magnolia on the longer walls. Ive read up a lot on the screens, and those that are free with a projector purchase or in a package seem decent enough.

Haha, yep, I love a bit of diy, custom designed and built my own entertainment cabinet, not exactly a Picasso of woodwork, but it’s lasted a good 15 years or more, though it’s looking rather shabby now, will look into either doing it again or finding a suitable stand after I buy a ust, a small thing to use it on will last till I get something more permanent in place. The Hisense does look a decent little package, but there does seem to be a number of options of different projectors either with a screen or £2k with a screen about £1K that are in budget.

Is that the Optoma P2? That’s one that I seen and don’t look too bad.

Yep, blacks are never great on a projector, especially with ambient light, but these lazer projectors seem a big step in the right direction.

I can’t stand the built in apps on anything other than phones and tablets, I always rather use my shield or Apple TV 4K.

That optoma p2 don’t seem a bad deal with 10% off with the sapphire screen, though not sure if any of the others about are better. Just looking around and seeing if I can get as much advice and recommendations that I can before I take the plunge.
Would like to order in time for the weekend, but definitely need some input from other users first.

Yep, I don’t like wasting money, and buying blind can be a challenge with no chance of a demo really, so I’d rather have a conversation with other owners.

I don’t fancy a dark decorated room, but definitely won’t be white/magnolia on the longer walls. Ive read up a lot on the screens, and those that are free with a projector purchase or in a package seem decent enough.

Haha, yep, I love a bit of diy, custom designed and built my own entertainment cabinet, not exactly a Picasso of woodwork, but it’s lasted a good 15 years or more, though it’s looking rather shabby now, will look into either doing it again or finding a suitable stand after I buy a ust, a small thing to use it on will last till I get something more permanent in place. The Hisense does look a decent little package, but there does seem to be a number of options of different projectors either with a screen or £2k with a screen about £1K that are in budget.

Yep, blacks are never great on a projector, especially with ambient light, but these lazer projectors seem a big step in the right direction.

I can’t stand the built in apps on anything other than phones and tablets, I always rather use my shield or Apple TV 4K.

That optoma p2 don’t seem a bad deal with 10% off with the sapphire screen, though not sure if any of the others about are better. Just looking around and seeing if I can get as much advice and recommendations that I can before I take the plunge.
Would like to order in time for the weekend, but definitely need some input from other users first.
Hi, yes I got the optoma p2 when I wad looking cause at the time it was by far the best deal ( I paid £1900 after a cashback deal on AO) and optoma had a name I knew and decent reviews

I agree it's hard as not easy to demo these projectors .

Looking at the ones you are looking at if it was today I would possibly look at the samsung with the free screen or stick with optma and look at a screen although the discount from richer sounds is pretty good . Although if you can stretch a bit the vividstorm screen if pretty good . I did buy a cheep fixed frame Chinese screen from acme that was rubbish and a vava 100 fixed frame that was pretty good for £500 . Just I wanted 120 pretty soon after and got the vividstorm

Post in thread 'Alexa controlled!' Alexa controlled!

I did make a unit for mine . Again not the best DIY but a bit of ikea and a saw 🤣

Hi, yes I got the optoma p2 when I wad looking cause at the time it was by far the best deal ( I paid £1900 after a cashback deal on AO) and optoma had a name I knew and decent reviews

I agree it's hard as not easy to demo these projectors .

Looking at the ones you are looking at if it was today I would possibly look at the samsung with the free screen or stick with optma and look at a screen although the discount from richer sounds is pretty good . Although if you can stretch a bit the vividstorm screen if pretty good . I did buy a cheep fixed frame Chinese screen from acme that was rubbish and a vava 100 fixed frame that was pretty good for £500 . Just I wanted 120 pretty soon after and got the vividstorm

Yeah, the optoma looks a good one, and a name I know, I seen a few more than those mentioned, but not really sure what I’m looking at or for in a laser projector, just know what kind of content and image I like.

The free screen with the Samsung is this one:
Not a cheap one? It doesn’t look bad, think the grey will look better than a white screen, especially over time and I do prefer fixed frame I think… I have ideas..

I’m not sure I’d get the same value if I went for a separate projector and screen, I’m not sure. I expect anything will blow me away initially, even a cheap 4K ust and screen, but of course the rest of time will leave me wanting more, so I’d rather get a more expensive ust, within £3k budget with a free screen which I can upgrade later if I feel the need to.

Are the vivid storm screens fixed frame? Just having a google and seeing all kind of prices, but no fixed frame ones that I can see.

I’ll stick with 100” I think, although 120” is doable, I’ve had a screen of 106” before and it is plenty from my viewing position at 3.2m.

Post in thread 'Alexa controlled!' Alexa controlled!
I did make a unit for mine . Again not the best DIY but a bit of ikea and a saw 🤣

Honestly mate, that looks bloody awesome! I prefer more natural wood or dark colours, but damn..

I think the p2 is probably the best value and the sapphire screens are ment to be good . The new lg projector hq 715 looks good and has a shorter throw but is £1 k more . And you are paying some of that for smart system you don't need like you I use an apple tv and I dont use an aerial anymore

I do like fixed screen but 120 was just big . So I went for the floor raising powered

One issue is you do get some overthrow of light round the screen with the optoma (approx 20mm with no screen correction but more if you use screen adjustment) . So slim surround can be an issue . It was one thing I didn't know till I got the projector as it wasn't mentioned in amy review . Im not sure if they all do it . This is why I don't fit the picture to the full screen and leave a boarder on mine as at night it does annoy me.

I honestly don't think these projectors are perfect . But the positives defo outway the negative and let's be honest in av perfect is impossible enless money is no issue !

The Sapphire screens do look good enough for the money to me, but I'm not really clued up on screens. Definitely fixed frame for me though I think... then worry about a bodge job cabinet after xD Nah, apps and tv/satellite aerials are redundant to me, don't need them.

That overthrow would probably annoy me a little, but I expect I'd get used to it. Though I do watch for hours in the dark as I don't sleep, so it could get annoying. These little things should be mentioned in reviews.

Projectors have never been perfect, there's no such thing as a perfect projector/tv at any price point, we just make sure the positives outweigh the negatives.

I do like the look of this one... no mention of a free screen, though it's got £250 with the purchase of a screen, so could pair it with the Sapphire. Little out of budget, but doable, just, (I think) ...gladly I don't have a wife to moan, she left before the first lockdown 😆 :D

If you want the best UST Projector for gaming then it's the 4000 Lumens Epson EH-LS500 4k HDR Pixel Shifter which has a 16ms input lag. No other UST projector comes close to that as of yet with the next best ones about 30ms. The Epson EH-LS500 is an LCD model and costs around £2500. And due to it being an LCD has zero Rainbow effect unlike DLP UST Projectors. Do you suffer from Rainbow [RBE] Effects? It comes in either Black or White colour options but has a bit longer throw ratio so would be a bit further out from the screen than the others but if you can cope with that then it should be a serious contender for your needs. There is no overspill outside the screen either which is a bonus and has had great reviews. Don't worry too much about ALR screens as they are definitley not needed and don't believe anyone that says they are. Getting a fixed frame screen is the way to go as they are completely flat and is one of the main requirements for UST Projectors. The reason i know this is that i have a non ALR Sapphire Fixed frame acoustic woven screen with acoustic black backing with my 3600 Lumens Epson EH-LS300 1080p HDR UST Projector in my livingroom and it works a treat in daylight and even more so at night.

Last edited:
So you have one for alr screen and one no . Subjective yes but as I said it vastly improves the picture at night in my situation as well as day .

I carnt comment on the Epson ls500 as I discounted it from my options as I didnt like the look of it and throw ratio

So you have one for alr screen and one no . Subjective yes but as I said it vastly improves the picture at night in my situation as well as day .

I carnt comment on the Epson ls500 as I discounted it from my options as I didnt like the look of it and throw ratio
Everyone has their own opinion on ALR screens which they are intitled to have but i'm just saying they are not needed for UST Projectors as you can use any other Fixed Frame screen with them also. If it hadn't been for the Epson EH-LS500s longer throw ratio then i would have just got that but that was the only stumbling block for me really. And although it maybe doesn't look as good as other UST Projectors that wouldn't put me off really as i look at the image on the screen and not the UST Projector.

The Sapphire screens do look good enough for the money to me, but I'm not really clued up on screens. Definitely fixed frame for me though I think... then worry about a bodge job cabinet after xD Nah, apps and tv/satellite aerials are redundant to me, don't need them.

That overthrow would probably annoy me a little, but I expect I'd get used to it. Though I do watch for hours in the dark as I don't sleep, so it could get annoying. These little things should be mentioned in reviews.

Projectors have never been perfect, there's no such thing as a perfect projector/tv at any price point, we just make sure the positives outweigh the negatives.

I do like the look of this one... no mention of a free screen, though it's got £250 with the purchase of a screen, so could pair it with the Sapphire. Little out of budget, but doable, just, (I think) ...gladly I don't have a wife to moan, she left before the first lockdown 😆 :D
The over throw is a bit of a pain and i have tried all sorts to try and get it to a minimum but once you have the movie on and are watching it, you tend not to be bothered.

Unless you have total darkness then i would recommend and ALR screen as mine has been spot on. I imported it via XY Screens who were great from start to finish.

I went with the Xiaomi UST and it has been repaired once to the tune of £500 for the DLP chip as at one point it took 10 mins to even boot up but it has been faultless since the repair. Well, other than the fact they have left some dust that gets reflected on the screen but i will open it up at some point and remedy that

If you want the best UST Projector for gaming then it's the 4000 Lumens Epson EH-LS500 4k HDR Pixel Shifter which has a 16ms input lag. No other UST projector comes close to that as of yet with the next best ones about 30ms. The Epson EH-LS500 is an LCD model and costs around £2500. And due to it being an LCD has zero Rainbow effect unlike DLP UST Projectors. Do you suffer from Rainbow [RBE] Effects? It comes in either Black or White colour options but has a bit longer throw ratio so would be a bit further out from the screen than the others but if you can cope with that then it should be a serious contender for your needs. There is no overspill outside the screen either which is a bonus and has had great reviews. Don't worry too much about ALR screens as they are definitley not needed and don't believe anyone that says they are. Getting a fixed frame screen is the way to go as they are completely flat and is one of the main requirements for UST Projectors. The reason i know this is that i have a non ALR Sapphire Fixed frame acoustic woven screen with acoustic black backing with my 3600 Lumens Epson EH-LS300 1080p HDR UST Projector in my livingroom and it works a treat in daylight and even more so at night.

@Pulse1 All my gaming at the moment is 1080p and I don't play competitively on my switch or pc. The only thing I play where I need it is pvp in World of Warcraft, but I only play that on a pc monitor. I never noticed any input lag gaming on my old projector (the BenQ 1070 DLP).
The types of games I'd play on the projector are:
Mario Kart
Zelda games
Witcher games
Smash Bros.
Pokemon games
Skyrim
Racing games
Action Games
Adventure games
etc..
Very few FPS type games, and none of this type competitively.
I'm more a casual gamer these days.
I'm not really sure what the other projectors response times are for input lag, can't seem to find any information on that. As long as it's below a 100, that's usually fine for me I think.

The main thing I'm worried about with gaming is the same as watching, I would like to be able to use the projector more like a tv and able to game/watch 6-10hrs at a time with no overheating or damage to the projector.

This is the last projector that I had - BenQ W1070 1080p:
That was a DLP one, and the only time I noticed any rainbow effect was just a little with my sudden eye movements, but didn't really notice it very much at all.

I definitely want a Fixed Frame Screen, ALR or otherwise. The deals seem to include a cheapish one, and where they dont, I'll likely end up with the one that I'm going to link further down this post. It is a Fixed Frame ALR screen. I'm just going with the thinking that if I do get a normal, I'm still going to want to know what ALR looks like, so if I just get one anyway it'll be fine, and if I buy one over £500 in that deal where I get 10% off the projector, I have a choice of either then. I'm not sure the cost of a normal one?
I have patio doors with black out curtains that I'd likely close in the summer daytime and evening when its light outside, but wouldnt mind being able to have the curtains open sometimes when I fancy a gaming or movie marathon day and evening stint of 12+ hrs.

I'd love to see pictures of yours in different lighting if you have any here?

Everyone has their own opinion on ALR screens which they are intitled to have but i'm just saying they are not needed for UST Projectors as you can use any other Fixed Frame screen with them also. If it hadn't been for the Epson EH-LS500s longer throw ratio then i would have just got that but that was the only stumbling block for me really. And although it maybe doesn't look as good as other UST Projectors that wouldn't put me off really as i look at the image on the screen and not the UST Projector.

@Phooo @Pulse1 That's a debate I'm very interested in, as I will get ALR if I get a projector that includes one in the deal, but may get normal if I have to buy one over £500 for the 10% off the projector deal.

The over throw is a bit of a pain and i have tried all sorts to try and get it to a minimum but once you have the movie on and are watching it, you tend not to be bothered.

Unless you have total darkness then i would recommend and ALR screen as mine has been spot on. I imported it via XY Screens who were great from start to finish.

I went with the Xiaomi UST and it has been repaired once to the tune of £500 for the DLP chip as at one point it took 10 mins to even boot up but it has been faultless since the repair. Well, other than the fact they have left some dust that gets reflected on the screen but i will open it up at some point and remedy that

@danwel It can be a bit hit and miss with these niggles. There was a slight mark on my old screen when I had a projector before, my mate noticed it long before I did and it was there for months.. I didnt see it till he pointed out.. then I saw it all the damn time and I couldnt get it off!

Even with the black outs closed during the day, theres a fair amount of light that gets in the top and sides as the patio doors are south facing into a sun trap of a garden. I can't be bothered with importing, so I'd either get one free with the deals, or try and decide which way to go if I have to buy one to get the 10% off.

I love Richer sounds service and 6 year guarantee, so I'll be using them, after that, I think Optoma were really good in the past, BenQ were hopeless and I'm not sure about Epson and Samsung out of guarentee.

--------

For reference, the last projector I owned was a BenQ W1070 1080p:
I couldnt use it as a tv really, the fan drove me nuts, but then it was directly next to my seat about 15-20in from my ear on a shelf.

So the options are, I think, as I'd really like to purchase through Richer Sounds, their 6yr warranty and aftersales have always been amazing throughout the years in my expierance. Hopefully I'll be able to come to a decision with all you guys help:

Optoma CinemaX P2 (White) - 10% off with a screen purchase over £500:

Optoma UHZ65UST (Black) - 10% off with a screen purchase over £500:

Epson EH-LS500B ANDROID (Black) - 10% off with a screen purchase over £500:

Samsung The Premiere SP-LSP7T - With free Screen

This is the absolute max I'd just about be able to do - Samsung The Premiere SP-LSP9T - With free screen
(Though I don't think I'd go too far wrong saving a grand with the above options with my eyes):

Whichever option, this is the screen I'll likely end up getting - Sapphire SALFS221WSF:
Cant really see a normal screen there that's 100", just 106" of the same brand:

I think I do prefer the black models over lighter coloured ones. With regards to sound quality, I'd ideally like to use the projectors sound for tv shows, whearas for movies, it'll alway be through my Denon Atmos surround system of course.

It's quite low, but I'd also end up getting either 2.2% or 1.1% cashback through Richer Sounds. So around a hundred quid saving there.

Any thoughts and advice on these?

..and can these all be used as a tv for 8-12hrs per day, as that seems to be my usage/viewing/gaming time, without damaging the projector?

I do enjoy a good variety of conversation and opinions on all this, and really need it as none of my friends are into these things.

Cheers :)

Epson warranty is either 12000hrs or 5yrs whichever comes first. I have my Epson EH-LS300B UST on for hours a day quite often with no issues. The Epson EH-LS300 is available in Black or White and has a shorter throw ratio than it's bigger brother the EH-LS500. The LS300 is a 1080p UST and it's input lag is around 68ms and is available for under £1500 with a 5yr warranty or 12000hrs warranty wichever comes first. It's a great option if your happy with 1080p and it also has an HDMI Arc Socket. Apart from the EH-LS500 it's the next brightest UST Projector and i use mine in it's lowest brightness setting all the time even during the day and can't even hear it on as it's basically silent in operation at that setting. I'm pretty busy with work at the moment but will try and get some pics up for you to do your own judgement of images on my screen for during the day and at night with my blackout roller blind open and shut.

Last edited:
I expect it’ll take a while to get over 12,000hrs.. 5yrs will likely come first.

I’m glad you can have them on for hours at a time as my movie marathons include the Hobbit Extended Editions back to back, then another day The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions back to back… I don’t offen game for more than 8hrs at a time, but it can certainly hit 12hrs on occasion.

I’d just like to see how the light affect these things, I’d certainly go for a 4K one, as a lot of content I watch is in 4K, though I do watch a lot of 480p content too, so not sure how the upscaling is on these particular ones that I’m looking at.
I had a lil read of the Optoma UHZ65UST manual, and it looks like that one can go from 80” to 120” depending on the distance from the screen, with 100” at 25.6cms… that could be handy if I change the room to length ways as I’d be able to upgrade to 120” then…. But I’m most definitely just going for 100” for the foreseeable future.

Just trying to find out more about them all and trying to find some examples of them all in use as there is no where I can get to demo one before buying sadly.

I use mine as a TV when i am home and so far had no issues with it. I can't comment on lag etc for gaming as i don't do a lot but my 11 year old plays COD, Fortnite and has never complained about anything at all.

Mario Kart on a 100 inch screen is amazing, it's one of my favourite games

The only thing i have to do with my set up is often during the day i have to close the blinds as the sun beams directly onto the side of the screen closest to the window but closing the blinds fixes it.

I am by far an expert and i am very happy with my set up but being honest and anyone with a PJ will testify to, it just works and looks better the darker the room is BUT i have done noting special with my room as it is white walls and ceilings. The only thing i bought was an ALR screen fro XY. It's a fixed frame one and was a doddle to put together as i did it in my kitchen and just as easy to hang it with the help of my brother.

I am not at home at the moment but will grab a few pictures over the weekend for you to look at. If i forget to post on here just shoot me a pm to remind me and i will sort it for you

I'll likely need to close the blackout curtains in my lounge for use anyway I think, with my old BenQ 1070, with curtains closed, it was still a little washed out with a standard screen and great in darkness.. the nature of projectors, and in fairness, for dark films, I even shut them now with the tv as I can barely see anything on screen with a very dark film/game.

Heres with and without one curtain open - excuse the mess, going through a bit of hell at the moment as my mother almost overnight developed stage 5 dementia after a fall and I've hardly been home, but am at a stage where I should be able to spend more time at home now, and immersing myself in films and gaming helps to distract and escape life for the 8-10hrs I'm not able to sleep for:

4D338CCA-C096-444E-87BC-99331967A725.jpeg
706FD510-84CD-4490-BD19-3986A9AE42EF.jpeg

Thank you guys, ( @danwel @Pulse1 @Phooo ) I think after a fair bit of reading I've whittled it down to these three:

Optoma UHZ65UST (Black) - £3299 total with screen and 10% off projector

Epson EH-LS500B ANDROID (Black) - Roughly £3290 with screen and 10% off projector

Samsung The Premiere SP-LSP7T - £2999 with screen for free

With the Sapphire SALFS221WSF Screen

I do feel quite a heavy lean toward the Optoma UHZ65UST:
  • 3500 lumens - Quite optimal I think, dont think I'd need the 4000 of the Epson
  • 2.5000,000 Contrast ratio
  • It looks like they have given a little more thought to built in sound as Samsung seems to have sacrificed it a bit for image, and given I watch a fair amount of tv shows, I don't always want the amp on to listen.
  • Not really bothered by it, but 3D is there if I fancy something different.
  • 85-120" with my wanted 100" at about 26cms.
  • Up to 30,000hrs life.. whats that, 8hrs per day for 15yrs?

I'm not sure about the fan noise on this things, but my last projector was right next to my seating position and it was a pain in the arse. Hopefully with it being further away it'll be fine, and at the same time, summers coming so I'll be having a floor fan on all the time I'm home anyway, so wont even notice it with that on as long as it's under 25db, I guess itll be ok and I'll get used to it.

Of course I could make a saving getting a normal screen, but the fixed frame one they have there in the sapphire range over £500 is this one:

Sapphire SFSC234AT

Since I'm highly likely to have my curtains closed with that ambient light, would I get away with a normal screen like this and save a bit of money, or best to just go ALR in the first place?
I know @Pulse1 s answer to this question ;) Have you tried both types in various lighting conditions matey?

I'm not sure if there's anything I missed or other questions I should be asking?

Ooh! How is the upscaling of 480p and 1080p content?!
As I watch a lot of both through my nVidia Shield, my tv shows are 480p rips from my own collection to save space on drives. The Shield doesnt do a bad job of upscaling it's self, but of course it's one thing I've forgotten to ask.

Other than that, at this price point, I'm guessing projectors are all pretty good in the image department anyway?

EDIT:

All that being said, the Optoma CinemaX P2 is newer and a grand cheaper than the Optoma UHZ65UST... not so bright and has less contrast, but definitely value for money!
...Damn this is a tough one, though blacks may be better 500 lumens lumens brighter and better contrast ratio on the others..

Not an easy game these days to choose is it.. :blush: :rolleyes:

cheers

Last edited:
Personally i honestly think that you are getting yourself too stressed with it all. I'll try and explain what i mean to try and help you decide a bit easier. So here are the facts about 4k and Projectors: Projectors really struggle with HDR no matter the cost so knowing that all the 4k UST Projectors won't be that much different to eachother in that regard. You are going to be watching your content in a room that is not completely black either so the image will never be at it's best from whatever Projector and screen you get anyway. No Projector is perfect as they all have flaws but you need to try and go for the one that ticks as many boxes as you are looking for and not anybody else. Like everyone else on here giving you advice they like me cannot comment on a Projector they have never seen with their own eyes. You will find that most people like yourself haven't seen the Projector that they actually end up buying so they also are buying blind. Reviews and peoples pictures etc can only tell you so much unfortunately and not the true picture in your room. One thing you have worked out though and this is important is the fact that even a tv can't cope with sunlight hitting the screen and you have to block the sunlight out which of course you are correctly doing with blackout curtains. So to end i will let you know that i have had different projector types over the years in a living room and a totally blacked out room with zero ambient light and have enjoyed every one of them, yes i could have spent a hell of alot more money than i did but what experience has taught me with especially projectors is unless you have a completely blacked out room with zero ambient light and the whole chain is fully calibrated to the industry standards then it's a comprimise. Go with your gut on the UST Projector you want and stick with it and just enjoy it and you'll be happy. As far as Fixed frame screens goes it should'nt really be a problem for you as you are going to shut your blackout curtains anyway and you'll get a good enough image so trust me when i say just get whatever screen that you want. Unless you are going to put speakers behind a screen then you don't actually need an AT screen but of course you can still use it with an UST projector if you want. Hopefully it won't be too long until your part of our little but growing UST Projector club.

Last edited:
Hi, I went p2 cause it was less than the other optoma and the samsung was silly money at the time

Also is is quite useful to see the difference between a white and ust screen

Personally i honestly think that you are getting yourself too stressed with it all. I'll try and explain what i mean to try and help you decide a bit easier. So here are the facts about 4k and Projectors: Projectors really struggle with HDR no matter the cost so knowing that all the 4k UST Projectors won't be that much different to eachother in that regard. You are going to be watching your content in a room that is not completely black either so the image will never be at it's best from whatever Projector and screen you get anyway. No Projector is perfect as they all have flaws but you need to try and go for the one that ticks as many boxes as you are looking for and not anybody else. Like everyone else on here giving you advice they like me cannot comment on a Projector they have never seen with their own eyes. You will find that most people like yourself haven't seen the Projector that they actually end up buying so they also are buying blind. Reviews and peoples pictures etc can only tell you so much unfortunately and not the true picture in your room. One thing you have worked out though and this is important is the fact that even a tv can't cope with sunlight hitting the screen and you have to block the sunlight out which of course you are correctly doing with blackout curtains. So to end i will let you know that i have had different projector types over the years in a living room and a totally blacked out room with zero ambient light and have enjoyed every one of them, yes i could have spent a hell of alot more money than i did but what experience has taught me with especially projectors is unless you have a completely blacked out room with zero ambient light and the whole chain is fully calibrated to the industry standards then it's a comprimise. Go with your gut on the UST Projector you want and stick with it and just enjoy it and you'll be happy. As far as Fixed frame screens goes it should'nt really be a problem for you as you are going to shut your blackout curtains anyway and you'll get a good enough image so trust me when i say just get whatever screen that you want. Unless you are going to put speakers behind a screen then you don't actually need an AT screen but of course you can still use it with an UST projector if you want. Hopefully it won't be too long until your part of our little but growing UST Projector club.

@Pulse1

That’s me all over, I worry and stress myself about everything.. and do get stressed, so ask as many questions as I can think of.

I do want/need 4K, I watch a lot of 4K content, HDR though, I don't even notice on any of my tv's, yet alone likely to on a projector. I do notice a difference in resolution from each step, 480p up to 2160p, and of course will notice that a hell of a lot when I finally manage to get my GPU changed on my gaming pc which will get connected to it.

A majority of viewing will be in a darkened room, I do watch during the day sometimes, just posted pictures as examples. At night, I sometimes have a lamp on, but it is very dark in here. Magonolia on the smaller walls and currently a darkish red wallpaper.

I understand that a projector screen with these things should be completely flat, but since I am getting a fixed frame one, I guess it will be anyway?

Yep, I bought the black outs when I had my last projector, this will be my first laser one.

I do particularly like the look of the Optoma UHZ65UST and the Samsung The Premiere SP-LSP7T though.. though I'm not sure how well each handles SD/480p content, as I watch a lot of that. I'm trying to find a definitive answer, but can't find one so far. SD content did look good on my old 1080p one, but of course, 4K is 4x that.

Hi, I went p2 cause it was less than the other optoma and the samsung was silly money at the time

Also is is quite useful to see the difference between a white and ust screen

@Phooo

It does look and sound really good, I'm reading up on them and watching videos as much as I can, I'm finding it difficult to see how they handle upscaling SD/480p as I watch a fair amount of SD content.. not always great on a projector, but SD looked great on my old 1080p one, but of course, this is 4x that.

----

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong about the 10% off the projectors that dont come with a screen when buying a screen over £500.... Just noticed the dates those deal ended were two days ago. Guess I could give them a call and see if I can strike up a deal with a screen 🤔

Last edited:
If you play through your apple tv ( or sheild I presume) and allow it to do the upscalling to 4k its not perfect but more than watchable . I have a lot of 360,480 and 520 tv shows on my nas any watch with infuse on my apple tv

Defo call or go and see richersounds. They will always do a deal if they can 😁

If you play through your apple tv ( or sheild I presume) and allow it to do the upscalling to 4k its not perfect but more than watchable . I have a lot of 360,480 and 520 tv shows on my nas any watch with infuse on my apple tv

Defo call or go and see richersounds. They will always do a deal if they can 😁

@Phooo

Yeah true, I wasn't sure what was doing the upscaling with my tv/devices, but noticed that the Shield has AI Upscaling enabled too and it makes 480p look HD to my eyes on my 65" samsung, of course that degrades a little the bigger the screen.

I've just spoken to a woman at Richer Sounds, and said I like the UHZ65UST, which she'd not move on price getting a screen at the same time.. but when I mentioned I needed a screen and asked about upscaling, she really pushed the Samsung The Premiere SP-LSP7T, even offering to knock a couple hundred off. I do like the Samsung, since it comes with a screen thats that issue out the way, but it felt a bit like pressure sales which I've never had from Richer Sounds and saying that they are selling more of them than any of the others at the moment, which I'm not surprised with the pressure sales.

The Samsung The Premiere SP-LSP7T is also 2200 lumens, whereas the Optoma UHZ65UST is 3500 with a better contrast ratio. Of course the price allows to save about £700 as it comes with a screen and an extra £200 off.. but I'm not sure between these two.

EDIT:
Ooh, also found the Epson in stock on Amazon.. not sure of the sound from an epsons speakers for watching tv shows.. 4000 lumens, same contrast ratio and reduced input lag for gaming... but 3x1080p lcd rather than single chip DLP, though all these projectors are meant to be 4K, but none seem to be true 4K using pixel shift.. I guess there's no difference? and no 6yr Richer Sounds warranty from amazon :(
Amazon product ASIN B08FXN1SVR
Of course, if I throw the Optoma CinemaX P2 in the mix, it screams value, but after a screen purchase, it still comes up to £2.5-3k.

Also just trying to find out how high a av cabinet I'd need for one of these things..

Last edited:
+1 for the Epson EH-LS500

I've got this one in black and have to say i'm more than happy with it. It also works really well in a well lit room. No overspill light from the image and as has been said before the input lag is low so great for gaming too.

Yes, it needs to be a bit further away from the screen than other UST projectors, but the image quality is really very good for both movies and gaming.

+1 for the Epson EH-LS500

I've got this one in black and have to say i'm more than happy with it. It also works really well in a well lit room. No overspill light from the image and as has been said before the input lag is low so great for gaming too.

Yes, it needs to be a bit further away from the screen than other UST projectors, but the image quality is really very good for both movies and gaming.
Yes no overspill at all from both the LCD Epson EH-LS500/300 UST Projectors which is a huge bonus and the fact that they also output the correct refresh rates of 24/50 and 60hz which the DLP USTs don't do as they convert 24/50hz to 60hz unless you get a 120hz DLP Model.

Just called the nearest store, which I can't get to at the moment which is a shame as they do demo the Optoma UHZUST and Samsung Premiere SP-LSP7T and can get the:

Optoma UHZ65UST for £3424 with an 100" Sapphire ALR screen, £2900 with 106".

The Samsung The Premiere SP-LSP7T for £2800 with 100" Sapphire ALR Screen and installation of it.

The Epson when they have stock for £3200 with 100" Sapphire ALR Screen.

I like all three of these projectors, the Samsung being the best value for sure, though it's only 2200 lumens, where the others are 3500 and 4000 lumens.. but how bright exactly would I need it with the ambient light from the photos above, and just a lamp or fairy lights which are both considerably dimmer?

There are pluses and minus' to these three, though they all seem to be fantastic UST's.. I'm finding it difficult to decide.

Edit: According to most the reviews, the Epsom is marketed as a 4K projector, but it’s actually only a 2K projector? How can they market it as 4K then?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom