My first UST Laser Projector? Asking for some help and advice for a purchase :)

Richer sounds said about 3-4 weeks, so I’ve gone with DH, should be here Wednesday/Thursday 😊

I’ve ordered the wall brackets as well as I’d imagine getting it as close as I can will help, especially with center speaker placement, so here’s hoping 🤞

I’m the mean time, I might try and get a piece of rather big, cheap hard board.. probably a lot better than using a red wall papered wall.. not sure of anywhere that sells 2.4x1.5m paper or card to use on a temporary basis.

Standard sheet mdf or similar is 2.4x1.2 approx you could get a sheet and paint it grey or white as it's only temporary. It will be OK for films in 2.35:1 🤔 . Just needs to be flat

Just a word of advise. These things are great when sorted . You are going through a similar process I did but i could not be happier with my setup now . Stick with it pal

Standard sheet mdf or similar is 2.4x1.2 approx you could get a sheet and paint it grey or white as it's only temporary. It will be OK for films in 2.35:1 🤔 . Just needs to be flat

Honestly, by the time I find someone to help me pick it up, the screen will be here I expect. I can’t do it myself as I’m an epileptic and can’t drive, so I think I’ll end up with just the wall as it is for now.

Just a word of advise. These things are great when sorted . You are going through a similar process I did but i could not be happier with my setup now . Stick with it pal

So glad I’m not the only one, definitely looking forward to getting it all sorted, still working on designs for an av cabinet… though I hear ikea calling my name… but need someone to drive me up there for a few bits as delivery is so expensive.

Gonna give a +1 for DH Innovation so far, I ordered the screen last night and called to make sure it's the right one today, but couldn't get them.. They just called though and said they don't work at the weekends, but confirmed everything with me and they are on holiday monday, but posting the screen out on Tuesday with a Wednesday/Thursday delivery. Thanked them for calling me on their day off! Good bit of service there, and he said that if I need to contact them again, just call, leave a message and he'll get back to me when he's not busy :)

Update on screen: looks like it is tomorrow it’s arriving!

Plans on building a new cabinet are okish, but the wood will be hard to get as I don’t drive. Also I need to make sure I get everything right as it needs to be near perfectly level for the projector, along with my floor, I think my floors level.

I have toyed with the idea of the besta cabinets, even the motod kitchen ones, but concerned as the fans for the projector are in the sides, so ideally I’ll want them completely clear and also I’d have to cut the cabinet to get the projector down lower.. that could be an issue.

How did you do yours @Phooo ?

I did find cabinets by these companies that make them for ust projectors, but most are more expensive than the projector it’s self.

Update on screen: looks like it is tomorrow it’s arriving!

Plans on building a new cabinet are okish, but the wood will be hard to get as I don’t drive. Also I need to make sure I get everything right as it needs to be near perfectly level for the projector, along with my floor, I think my floors level.

I have toyed with the idea of the besta cabinets, even the motod kitchen ones, but concerned as the fans for the projector are in the sides, so ideally I’ll want them completely clear and also I’d have to cut the cabinet to get the projector down lower.. that could be an issue.

How did you do yours @Phooo ?

I did find cabinets by these companies that make them for ust projectors, but most are more expensive than the projector it’s self.
Hi, I used 2 x 120cm besta units just built ad per standard appart from left back panel out on one to allow air for my receiver. and the pj is on a shelf /rear are made from an extra doors 38x60 .as it wouldn't fit in a standard 600 unit so sides and top went in bin . I bought two heavy draw sliders 350mm from amazon and used two bits of wood screwed throught shelf .. The base is from a 600mm besta unit it was originally fixed but the I decided I wanted it to move so just cut legs and it hangs of the pj shelf so does now . My screen is on a shelf behind but you have wall mounts ?

Attachments

• 20220405_211236.jpg
    20220405_211236.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220405_211227.jpg
    20220405_211227.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220405_211213.jpg
    20220405_211213.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220405_211246.jpg
    20220405_211246.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 85
Hi, I used 2 x 120cm besta units just built ad per standard appart from left back panel out on one to allow air for my receiver. and the pj is on a shelf /rear are made from an extra doors 38x60 .as it wouldn't fit in a standard 600 unit so sides and top went in bin . I bought two heavy draw sliders 350mm from amazon and used two bits of wood screwed throught shelf .. The base is from a 600mm besta unit it was originally fixed but the I decided I wanted it to move so just cut legs and it hangs of the pj shelf so does now . My screen is on a shelf behind but you have wall mounts ?

Ah, ok thank you. That's a clever design :)

I've not decided weather or not I'll be going with a design that hides everything or not yet, it was my initial idea, but may go for a open design using counter tops and trying to find, not legs, but something similar to this with a fixing plate at either end to separate the wood:

I can have the rack/unit a fair way from the wall to allow for the throw, though I would like to keep the projector flush with the unit and not need to move it or slide it out, but of course need to keep the air flow clear either side of the projector as it's fans are two either side at the back like yours, and the center underneath if I can get enough height for it with the 120" screen, but I'm not quite sure if my ceilings are high enough to get the center underneath, will see as I go along.

Yep, I'll have wall brackets, I bought them just in case I need them, if not, I'll be keeping them for if I move somewhere else and need them. If I can get the projector high enough to accommodate the center underneath, I'll try to have the screen on or in the cabinet design, if not, I'll likely need to wall mount the screen so there is room in front for the center just under the screen with the wire going down the back of the cabinet.

I'm looking at besta and metod units and also countertops for if I go the open design route. I did think of having everything very low, but it wouldn't look right, but I'm sure I'll come up with something. It seems a lot of people use the besta units in one form or another.

If you do not have a movable pj . You will need a wide unit 65-70cm I think . I guess it's a case of designing what works for you . I have my screen on 2 x small shelves with adjustable feet like you showed to try and get a flat surface

Just a quick question have you tested the dynamic black function. One issue with my p2 is it gives a purple filter to the colour . Just wandering what it's like on the ust65 ?

If you do not have a movable pj . You will need a wide unit 65-70cm I think . I guess it's a case of designing what works for you . I have my screen on 2 x small shelves with adjustable feet like you showed to try and get a flat surface

Yep I thought as much, I have the room for that, so can put it in my measurements. 3x 100cm width could be done if need be, will be plenty wide enough for the projector on one, the amp on another and my shield/drives and apple on another. Of course there will be room for my center, switch and other bits and pieces. They can be fairly deep as I am used to having a unit with just over a foot of space behind between the cabinet and wall, so should have plenty of space all round.

Just a quick question have you tested the dynamic black function. One issue with my p2 is it gives a purple filter to the colour . Just wandering what it's like on the ust65 ?

I'll try it and let you know when I get the Vivdstorm screen through, it's still not here yet and I've been using the projector on a rather red wall, so can't comment on colours at the moment. I'm hoping it arrives today, though the days getting on, so may be tomorrow now... my cat's been enjoying it too!

I’ve just ran my shield on there with YouTube mostly, saving watching any tv and movies till the screen gets here.

9A3D9F7E-7857-41B2-A331-8E0A477D24BE.jpeg
A41BF144-D976-450B-B679-5FF5CC3FF555.jpeg
63A3AA0B-2FFA-4AC6-AD87-0F62986A7FB9.jpeg
01AB0FBB-ADE9-48F4-861D-AB2AFCC8760D.jpeg

I have the P2 with a vividstorm 120".

I did have to stay about an inch away from the left\right of the screen.
If I do get close to the edge. I get a load of distortion on the edges.

I did expect the tension of the screen to be better then it is.
Let us know how you get on.

Just awaiting its arrival, will let you know :)

Hi you can tighten it a bit I think . Mine is quite flat at edges . I only leave a boarded due to the light overthrow

The screen seems fine to me too, just testing and playing about, not set it up properly yet:

445855CD-59B6-4655-AD16-619377529D4A.jpeg
DE94229A-55EB-4355-BF14-DE8513235AF4.jpeg
6DAA8BAE-0B4F-45B3-9DB6-C8CA47757333.jpeg
AC11AE04-085C-4AEA-9956-E3E42B7E4BA5.jpeg
47F5BA8E-4E16-46B2-950A-0042AAC7360B.jpeg
55FDCBFE-E761-4F69-87BA-AE70AD0B150B.jpeg
C1C4982B-74BB-42C1-BAF0-FFFA731F75CA.jpeg
E5BB1F95-3E46-4993-81C0-546469AA8825.jpeg
3EE477CE-EFEC-4648-8237-BEB13934AB7D.jpeg
4939258A-6F9C-4A70-B88F-870ED3E37E12.jpeg

I’m also trying to come up with a cabinet design, though at first I forgot about ventilation, was trying to avoid a sliding shelf, but I may have to have one for the asthmatics to look right in the room… and considering what colour to paint my room, usually a solid colour on the bigger walls and magnolia in the end walls. Curtains, sofa, carpet are brown, might have a dark brown wall behind the screen with some tapestry thing for when the screen is down. It is my living room, and the o ku room I can use for late night viewing, so need to keep it as living room ish as possible and not full on bat cave.

EC1F920A-9FA4-41BE-ABAC-33B24C5EE848.jpeg

A968EEFF-1001-4827-B8F8-3378B02C6CA3.jpeg

Looks good 👍 mak3s my pj pop as started with white wall

A sliding shelf does allow for pj lower than screen and can be 60cm wide and allow for side vents + unit can be thinner 400mm deep . If fixed unit would need to be 600mm-700mm deep at least and lower shelf for pj wider so it does not get in the way of the light from pj to screen

Sorry guys, trying to keep posting, but my mother is on end of life, so trying to distract with decorating etc.. as well as being with her as much as possible.

Sorry guys, trying to keep posting, but my mother is on end of life, so trying to distract with decorating etc.. as well as being with her as much as possible.
sorry to hear this nero0410, thinking of you mate.

sorry to hear this nero0410, thinking of you mate.

Thank you matey, mum passed away a week ago today.. devastated.. still in therapy, have been for the past three years and have good friends around so it helps.. also helps to keep busy as I can, so been decorating the lounge/cinema room whilst trying to make funeral arrangements, almost there with the decorating, funeral arrangements are a gruelling task though, they don’t make it too easy… but it’s all paid for at least..

5EB4D8BD-F06C-4966-9A04-C13665AA74B5.jpeg
1EFE97B2-93D4-4BCF-8FF2-99C6D163AF3C.jpeg
B1398EEA-F3B2-4033-8BCC-064E99C79C29.jpeg
AF2F7127-56D3-4F32-8502-1A6C56E1E9A0.jpeg
20FC6A79-8927-4091-8A32-4776C8F63545.jpeg
72F9D5BC-FFCC-4909-B1AA-AB2E98AF6682.jpeg
584193CB-AB06-4930-A183-A9D34D9545B4.jpeg

I’m still trying to design and decide on a entertainment cabinet/stand.. want to have as much ventilation as I can, thinking of using besta units or counter tops with either a closed design or just keep it all open for everything to breathe and be on display or not. Hiding of wires will be a little challenging, but pulled it off before.

Hey Nero, so sorry to hear your news . Hang in there buddy

Thank you matey, am doing, keeping busy.

Started to move things back in place and placing out their rough positions, I’m no painter/decorator, but it’ll do:

5C81DA79-E743-4D9F-836A-5A4F52FDA5CA.jpeg

Just contemplating a cabinet now and trying to get a hold of someone to help me walk mount the screen perfectly level.

Good luck, level is our friend . My floor was not ! But got sorted in the end so I don't use any screen correction on the pj

Sorry for your loss Nero. Stay strong buddy.

I keep scouring the Web for a cheap cabinet that could house and keep hidden my Vividstorm floor rising screen and LG UST.

Only options seem to be some IKEA Bestas which I would need to butcher. Woodwork was never my strong point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom