My first UST Laser Projector? Asking for some help and advice for a purchase :)

That looks close need to adjust feet now till sides are straight ish then move projector left right till central horizontally . Then in out till size is correct and you will then see height you need to get central vertically .

To fix that problem you have is quite easy as all you have to do is either raise the back of the projector or lower the front of the projector. The back being closest to the screen. Then you'll probably need to re-adjust the height and distance from the screen of the projector.

PS. Don't bother about the projector itself being level as the reality is that it doesn't work that way. Focus on getting the image sized and squared onto the screen instead then it's alot easier.

I’m not able to lower the front, the adjusting feet are on the back, to lower the front I’d need to build the unit lower from the start. I’ve designed a cabinet now, just need to get the projector set up so I can know the height I need for the projector cabinet. I’ll try adjusting the feet when I get home.

Yep, that’s what I’m focusing on mainly, as soon as I can get it right, I’ll know the height of the cabinet I’m building for it.

That looks close need to adjust feet now till sides are straight ish then move projector left right till central horizontally . Then in out till size is correct and you will then see height you need to get central vertically .

Ah, I’ll try adjusting the feet more when I get home. Don’t want to use image correction if I can help it, can’t even find keystone correction, guessing it’s part of the geometry settings. It’ll be a pain if game mode turns that off, I know it turns smart fit off, but I can’t use smart fit anyway with the Vividstorm, though I did try earlier, it just failed.

Yes defo try to not use correction. If you can get the picture square to the screen first then it just( I know its a bit more than just 🤣) a case of moving the pj in / out left and right . Then finally get the height of your shelf from there

Yes defo try to not use correction. If you can get the picture square to the screen first then it just( I know its a bit more than just 🤣) a case of moving the pj in / out left and right . Then finally get the height of your shelf from there

I will certainly avoid if I can, but doubtful. Yep, ‘just,’ pfft 🤣🤣 ..and this is just trying to set it roughly so can can get just one measurement! Once I have that I’ll be happy as I can get my wood cut then, build the three units and then just adjust the damn thing for about three years straight till it’s as good as it can get.

I just cannot get the image to fit the width of the screen as well as the top and bottom, it’s driving me insane.

This is the closest I have managed to get, I’ve used wood, storage boxes, old drawers and hard board to adjust the height of the projector, anything I can think of.

————————

With this bodge up, I have the projector 24cm off the floor

There is still a 1-2” gap between the projected image and the edge of the screen with no image correction done at all as I’m trying to avoid it, though the top and bottom are near a perfect fit!

This has been the hardest type of projector to place that I have ever had, it’ll all be worth it in the end as the image quality is amazing, but damn, I mean, even just a couple of min difference in position, forward, backward, up, down, turning to the left or right makes a huge difference on screen!

I think 24cm may be the best height I’ve had so far short of trying to get an installer in with a height adjustable table of some sort to give me the perfect height and maybe even get it to a position so he can make it fully fill the screen properly. It’s a nightmare… so I’m at a loss with trying to get it to fill the entire screen myself at this point, but an installer could be weeks away and I need my living and bedroom back, so need the height I need for the cabinet to get it built and everything back into place.

C5E2B16B-8464-46AF-AC3D-0CB650976DC0.jpeg
834C8941-5051-4CC6-8AD7-546214C01F5E.jpeg
7C77BD38-FBE8-4AAC-9BD5-7FC039CDB5B7.jpeg
6117CFF9-CDCD-4ACC-9D66-BD080A8D3FC4.jpeg
7DBFC700-0647-4123-AAA9-0F526C077A9D.jpeg
1F9ABF09-E1B9-4BE5-A9A1-DD8D8FE23A9B.jpeg

Might be worth your while looking at or posting your problem in the dedicated Owner's thread here: Optoma UHZ65UST Owners This should have been moved to the correct dedicated UST Projector Forum but hasn't yet.

Ah, that may be an idea, just got carried away with this thread, it’s just had a nice steady flow to it 😊

Thats weird as mine has larger boarders top and bottom 🤔

Of the screen material or of the projected image? Able to take a photo of what you mean?

Sorry by boarder I mean the screen material without the picture on

If you enlarge the attachment the boarder at the bottom is larger than left/right and top

Attachments

• 20220408_083531.jpg
    20220408_083531.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 86
Sorry by boarder I mean the screen material without the picture on

If you enlarge the attachment the boarder at the bottom is larger than left/right and top

Ah I get ya, your projector must be a little higher up than mine.

I’m just not understanding why I can’t manage to align mine like yours with a very small amount of border round the sides and top, I always seem to have 2+ inches at the sides.

Out of curiosity, may I ask how high you have your projector up and if your ceilings are 8ft?
You may have the bottom of the screen casing a similar level to mine, as the bottom of my screen is approx 14 inches from the floor.

No problem. You will have to pull out a bit and lower The shelf is 23cm from floor that pj is on and ceiling height is 94 inches 7'10 . Measured shelf screen is on 33cm from floor . So 10cm is approx difference but this can be effected by how plum screen is

I just cannot get the image to fit the width of the screen as well as the top and bottom, it’s driving me insane.

This is the closest I have managed to get, I’ve used wood, storage boxes, old drawers and hard board to adjust the height of the projector, anything I can think of.

————————

There is still a 1-2” gap between the projected image and the edge of the screen with no image correction done at all as I’m trying to avoid it, though the top and bottom are near a perfect fit!

This has been the hardest type of projector to place that I have ever had, it’ll all be worth it in the end as the image quality is amazing, but damn, I mean, even just a couple of min difference in position, forward, backward, up, down, turning to the left or right makes a huge difference on screen!

I think 24cm may be the best height I’ve had so far short of trying to get an installer in with a height adjustable table of some sort to give me the perfect height and maybe even get it to a position so he can make it fully fill the screen properly. It’s a nightmare… so I’m at a loss with trying to get it to fill the entire screen myself at this point, but an installer could be weeks away and I need my living and bedroom back, so need the height I need for the cabinet to get it built and everything back into place.

View attachment 1688047View attachment 1688048View attachment 1688049View attachment 1688050View attachment 1688051View attachment 1688052

Hurry up already, so I can copy you!!

Once you have it as close as you have done now, can't you use minor keystone correction to get it perfect ?

Must admit even now i am forever messing about with mine but have just given up or at least accepted and such light bleed because once it is on and the movie playing with the surround sound, any such annoyances disappear.

Hurry up already, so I can copy you!!

Believe me I’m trying! 🤣 Given richer sounds another call and there’s an installer they use in Bristol that’d come to Weston to have a pop at it. £45 Call out charge and give me a quote. I mean this guy makes custom furniture and does complete room builds including components, cabling, set up etc…

all I want him to do is get the correct alignment height and tell me what it is so I’ll then have the height of the projector cabinet and I can then get the wood cut up by a carpenter mate that has the tools, can cut straight and is usually accurate to the millimetre.

Once you have it as close as you have done now, can't you use minor keystone correction to get it perfect ?

Must admit even now i am forever messing about with mine but have just given up or at least accepted and such light bleed because once it is on and the movie playing with the surround sound, any such annoyances disappear.

The projector doesn’t go outward, so I can’t push the sides out to the edge of the screen, if I could, it’d just stretch the projected image. Likewise, if I get the sides with a 2cm gap rather than the current 2” gap either side, it’d put the top and bottom of the projected image over and id end up squashing the projected image then.
The projected image and size of the screen are identical, 264x148cm approx… so they should match up perfectly top, bottom and sides. It’s getting the damn thing into the correct position that’s driving me insane. There should be 36cm between the screen and the projector (lens of the projector) and it should have a 36cm offset, or 36cm below the bottom of the screen approx according to optoma’s projection distance calculator. I just can’t seem to get it correct.

727EB453-CBD5-41D1-826C-A9B9846DF07E.png

I do t find any light bleed issues at all, I’m just wanting the projected image to reach and have around a 2cm gap/border to the top, bottom and edges of the screen.

I did watch Dolittle late last night when I got back home, had ambient lighting on, and seeing those blank edges of the screen just annoyed the hell out of me. I turned the light off and that was bloody fantastic as I couldn’t see them, but earlier in the evening, especially with summer evenings as I have ambient light coming in around the edges of the black out curtains, or where I want to watch with ambient light, when eating for example, it annoys the hell out of me.
The amount of reviews I’ve seen of this thing and each reviewer had it aligned perfectly to the same screen, im just so frustrated that I can’t get it that well aligned myself.

Last edited:

————————

View attachment 1688047View attachment 1688048View attachment 1688049View attachment 1688050View attachment 1688051View attachment 1688052

The android app will not work with the the screen.

If you read the manual for the screen. You have to bring in the picture about an inch top\bottom\sides.
Or you will get the side edges looking crap.

I’ve got it about as good as I can get it now, so I think I’ll stick to 24cm high for the projector cabinet, get a hold of a carpenter and get him to mark up and cut the wood for me as I’ll probably mess it up.

Have watched a couple films on it now and a load of 4K stuff on YouTube too, bloody love the quality of it, almost like watching a tv to my eyes.

Just need to tweak some settings on it as I’ve barely done any setting up of the picture yet. I’ll do that once I get it on my cabinet I think.

FD12239E-6E0F-4FF6-839E-3EFFB78C22AA.jpeg
C0E2864D-D04B-42EC-9819-E50451E57077.jpeg
57BBA187-20F6-4DEB-A4AC-C8C1F243839B.jpeg
F2D62B0C-8177-4096-BD71-9946D2A14AB8.jpeg
1C6DECC7-30EC-4EA2-9A8C-EDEA394F1920.jpeg
B02840E8-7A5E-40EF-A16E-1218CF7A50F7.jpeg
E091EA02-61C3-409C-8B41-A4E137BCB597.jpeg
D58A32DD-078E-4B13-8D77-C867CC7A1704.jpeg
73163307-0EFA-45D8-ACDC-4F1565873478.jpeg
AE13470A-5612-459F-9A97-6CAA3F4C0E4D.jpeg
5B9DE0CC-3971-4B02-8DB3-29560346C9B5.jpeg
97167E65-57CD-4F33-BB48-19E962E1D3EE.jpeg
EBE13A2F-7D4C-47E8-B085-2A759509EE40.jpeg
24AE0F20-B7F9-4595-80E2-D544266A5CFE.jpeg
C3CDABAB-0498-442A-B7A3-54A6C0E018C3.jpeg
0F75AB0C-007D-413D-9334-0388BFDCE030.jpeg

I’ve got it about as good as I can get it now, so I think I’ll stick to 24cm high for the projector cabinet, get a hold of a carpenter and get him to mark up and cut the wood for me as I’ll probably mess it up.

Have watched a couple films on it now and a load of 4K stuff on YouTube too, bloody love the quality of it, almost like watching a tv to my eyes.

Just need to tweak some settings on it as I’ve barely done any setting up of the picture yet. I’ll do that once I get it on my cabinet I think.

View attachment 1689536View attachment 1689537View attachment 1689538View attachment 1689539View attachment 1689540View attachment 1689541View attachment 1689542View attachment 1689543View attachment 1689544View attachment 1689545View attachment 1689546View attachment 1689547View attachment 1689548View attachment 1689549View attachment 1689550View attachment 1689551
Enjoyed reading this thread, picked up some good tips and ideas. Did you finish the shelf?

View attachment 1689536View attachment 1689537View attachment 1689538View attachment 1689539View attachment 1689540View attachment 1689541View attachment 1689542View attachment 1689543View attachment 1689544View attachment 1689545View attachment 1689546View attachment 1689547View attachment 1689548View attachment 1689549View attachment 1689550View attachment 1689551

That is way better than I could get it.
I would love to try again....but it drives me nuts :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom