My first time upgrading sound for TV - Help!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You have wrong mode selected for movies! You should put it on something that detects the source soundtrack automatically. So if you stream movies from Netflix it should say "Dolby Digital Plus" on the Denon front display. Or if you watch bluray movies it would say Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA. The All ch stereo mode is used very rarely these days for music. I don´t think anyone would use it for movies. You need to test some good blockbuster bluray movie then you hear the system as it best with high quality dynamic sounding lossless soundtrack.

As you move the sub to corner you will connect it to different wall socket and it´s likely away from other cables/wires etc. so hopefully it doesn´t humm anymore as it may getting some interference from somewhere else.

Where did you set the gain (clock wise) before you ran Audussey, example 11clock? Also go to Denon menu you will find somewhere "Subwoofer level" figure example -6db, tell me what this is now? You don´t touch the knob after Audussey and certainly don´t put it max!!!! Just need to know those two things before you re-run Audussey after moving the sub. It looks really good and after the stiff driver has loosened up some after few weeks it should get even better, something that has been reported by owners.

Zursen

I have the Yamaha A2A receiver. But it's probably something similar anyway. I think I need to go through the manual a bit more as it seems the biggest learning curve for me. So many buttons, no idea what does what or how to have it default to the correct one. For Music and Movies the All Channel Stereo certainly sounded the best to me as I flicked through them, specifically for music All Channel Stereo sounds amazingly good to me. I listen to music via my Nvidia Shield > Spotify. Movies mostly on Netflix or other streaming platforms. But I also download (legally) 4K copies with DTS / Atmos etc sound files. So I need to ensure I have the correct settings, more Youtube guides n Manuals here I come!

Noted on the Sub, sounds likely that it is interference!

On the Subwoofer Level, I have to run the setup again to figure it out. Just went through the limited options on the Receiver and it doesn't seem to tell me. When I ran it the first time I think Sub was at -12db but I'd need to run it again to be sure. Is Audussey the same as YPAO on Yamaha?

I've just gone through all the settings again with the remote trying to put it on the 'correct' one. Is Auto what it needs to be on so it automatically plays the correct source soundtrack? If so, When I have it on Auto and flick it back to All Channel Stereo, all channel stereo just sounds so much better to me! It really pumps the bass up (Bass Enhancer is turned off), I can hear the drums a lot more that way too (I play drums myself and I love listening to music via the new setup for that reason alone!).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have the Yamaha A2A receiver. But it's probably something similar anyway. I think I need to go through the manual a bit more as it seems the biggest learning curve for me. So many buttons, no idea what does what or how to have it default to the correct one. For Music and Movies the All Channel Stereo certainly sounded the best to me as I flicked through them, specifically for music All Channel Stereo sounds amazingly good to me. I listen to music via my Nvidia Shield > Spotify. Movies mostly on Netflix or other streaming platforms. But I also download (legally) 4K copies with DTS / Atmos etc sound files. So I need to ensure I have the correct settings, more Youtube guides n Manuals here I come!

Noted on the Sub, sounds likely that it is interference!

On the Subwoofer Level, I have to run the setup again to figure it out. Just went through the limited options on the Receiver and it doesn't seem to tell me. When I ran it the first time I think Sub was at -12db but I'd need to run it again to be sure. Is Audussey the same as YPAO on Yamaha?

I've just gone through all the settings again with the remote trying to put it on the 'correct' one. Is Auto what it needs to be on so it automatically plays the correct source soundtrack? If so, When I have it on Auto and flick it back to All Channel Stereo, all channel stereo just sounds so much better to me! It really pumps the bass up (Bass Enhancer is turned off), I can hear the drums a lot more that way too (I play drums myself and I love listening to music via the new setup for that reason alone!).

My bad i somehow thought that you had Denon like most people here.. Short memory.

If you have subwoofer level -10 (should be max, means out of range) then you have the gain knob set too high. Lower it 1-2hours and run again YPAO. Then check from menu what the figure is. Assuming it comes back around -8db to -4db then you are fine and don´t touch the knobs again. Just tweak that figure closer to 0db, when i had Yamaha receiver i got the level back at -6db then changed it to -3db and it was just spot on.

Try pushing "Straight" from the remote when you start movie. Then it should detect if the bluray clip has example DTS HD MA / Dolby True HD soundtrack. And when you play Netflix movie make sure it shows Dolby Digital Plus. Try that and report back. You don´t want to use the all ch stereo with movies!

Remember to change the speaker size to small all, crossovers after running YPAO again... Keep the Extra bass etc Off.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom