My first time gym adventures

Working on increasing protein as can see I'm low on that.

Sorry worth noting I'm still trying to shed another 15kg in weight.

I don't know your history with diets or gym workouts, so I'll leave you with this, if you crash diet, you will likely loose the weight albeit, but the likely hood is you'll put it back on within 12 months, so slow and steady and sustainable is always best, granted the results won't come as quick, but there more chance of them lasting if done slow and correct. :thumbsup:

Neilwestwood1's Food Diary | MyFitnessPal.com

Try that?? Like I say not the best diet, sorry quite picky eater.
Ok, i'm not a nutritionist. And looking at your list I don't believe it is giving the right values. They seem too low in sugar for what you are eating.

1g of sugar - 4 calories
1g of fat - 9 calories

So according to your list your day had 592 calories from sugar and 351 calories from fat.
That is 943 calories.
Now you can't cut those out, but you can make healthier choices which will dramatically drop your Calories intake and make it easier to create a calorie deficit.
I'd drop everything that comes out of a packet and has more than 5 ingredients in it.
I'd also go with porridge oats for breakfast and a banana. The rest are chock full of unessential sugar.

For the lunch, get rid of it and keep the apple. In fact if possible, swap the dinner for the lunch so you have a bigger lunch and a smaller dinner.
With the dinner, get rid of the rice and replace it with a wholemeal rice or pasta. I love those things but I do wish I could get away from any wheat or grain product as the body doesn't process them very well an you don't get much out of it.

For snacks, a handful of nuts.. once a day. And go with a least double your water. Try to get 2 litres in.

Get into the habit of looking at food labels, the ingredients list must name the largest ingredient first and the least amount ingredient last. And sugar goes under about 50 different names.

Thanks guys. As you can guess work life gets in the way which makes things difficult. Gym classes are 6:30am so trying to fit breakfast in before as well as walking the dog is a pita. Doesn't help I'm a very funny eater. Will take your advice on board and see what changes I can make. Weight loss as been around 0.3kg per week so not a crash diet just been feeling very tired the last week or two hence looking at my calorie intake.

0.3kg is a good amount but, I wouldn’t get too fixated on your weight, unless you’ve got a boxing weigh in!

Concentrate on your fat / muscle percentage.

Well still sticking with it. Now do 5 classes a week and feeling much fitter. Struggling with my diet still but just trying to find the right balance. After my last post I tried increasing my calorie count to reduce fatigue but started gaining weight. Dropped back down and I know it my be a contentious issue but started taking whey protein after my workouts to boost my protein intake. Now my fitness levels have improved I'm considering starting weight training to start building muscle mass.

Just be aware that whey protein can cause bloating.

And if you feel a little fatigued before a workout, try a caffeine shot.

Only two supplements have been proven to work, caffeine and creatine.

And if you feel a little fatigued before a workout, try a caffeine shot.

Only two supplements have been proven to work, caffeine and creatine.
Been recommended creatine from a guy at work who is seriously into body building.

Been recommended creatine from a guy at work who is seriously into body building.

Yeah this stuff is okay, in my experience alot of years back it did increase my energy levels, but according to my better half my temper also:(, your body will retain more water whilst on creatine, which obviously will lead to weight gain you generally have to load up on it over a course of a week and then maintain the levels there after.

Hope this helps .SIM12

Just to add if memory serves I gained about 8 lbs of weight in 3 weeks on the stuff.

Last edited:
Time for another update.

Had a mixed month. Just when I thought I was getting fitter the rug was pulled from under me. Doing a HiiT class the other week and the instructor put out the spin bikes. Ok no problem I thought. However it was mountain climbing style so peddling standing up. At the end of the first 45 seconds my legs had gone to jelly :( Ended up with the instructor stood over me for the next 45 and 30 seconds rounds pushing me on but my God that destroyed me. Felt deflated that my fitness levels were so poor. This dispite now doing 5 classes per week (including one les mills body pump). Also been struggling with push ups as being 95kg I've a lot of weight to lift. So I booked in a hour with a PT to come up with a plan to increase my upper body and leg strength. Just started on the weight machines for the first time this week and after two sessions I'm aching all over like when I first started. Can't believe the difference bewteen weights and cardio exercise. It's like I'm starting for the first time again. Up for the challenge though so will now mix up my gym sessions between weights and HiiT classes. Now seeing muscle development since starting to take whey protein after each work out. Just got to figure out the right balance between weight training and cardio. Still losing around 0.3 to 0.8kg per week. The biggest thing though I'm still enjoying it which I never thought I say about going to a gym. Going to Florida soon and even started looking for a gym near where we're staying, how sad is that ;)

Good man - Keep a good mix of things and you'll do fine.

@True Romance
Hey matey, hows it going? No updates for a while...

Hi. Thanks for the interest :smashin: Honestly can't believe the difference between cardio and weight training. Come as a complete shock to the system :eek: Still plugging away at it though. Prob not the best way but due to time constraints do 30 mins cardio (HiiT class) and then onto weights. Seems the general consensus is weights first them cardio but can't do that due to the class timings. Two weeks in doing 3 to 4 sessions (on weights) per week and now increased the weights so seem to be getting slightly stronger. Picked up a small niggle in my knee which though doesn't stop me working is a little bit of a concern. Still losing around 0.5kg per week though didn't lose anything last week? Can't image it's muscle weight? Slowly getting towards my target weight which is great, the down side is I tried on my holiday shorts yesterday and there all falling off me so now need to go and buy more.

Last edited:
As you get closer to your ideal weight, your body will resist the weight loss more. So some weeks you’ll lose nothing.

So a combination of falling over on my ankle and going on holiday resulted in me missing just over 3 weeks in the gym. Started again last weelend after the break and it was like starting all over again. Woke up aching the following day and took the rest of the week for the muscle pain to fade away. Taken me around 3 months to improve my fitness levels but just 3 weeks to lose it. Shocked at the speed my fitness deteriorated over a short period.

So a combination of falling over on my ankle and going on holiday resulted in me missing just over 3 weeks in the gym. Started again last weelend after the break and it was like starting all over again. Woke up aching the following day and took the rest of the week for the muscle pain to fade away. Taken me around 3 months to improve my fitness levels but just 3 weeks to lose it. Shocked at the speed my fitness deteriorated over a short period.

Sad but true unfortunately, took me 3 months to get my running fitness back from 17 day break at Xmas, I gained no weight but I was shocked just how much I had lost, but the real kicker is mentally you know what you should be doing but your body just can't.:(

yep, the older you get the worse it becomes too... :D

Now back to where I was before going on holiday so now pushing on a bit more. Still doing the classes 4 times a week but now also spending more time on the machines. Started boxexercise class this month which is a killer but enjoying the change of routine.

but the real kicker is mentally you know what you should be doing but your body just can't.:(

That is the worst. My mind is sharp, but the body is just not willing.

Getting old sucks.

Negative time :( Not going to the gym or eating better but having to keep buying new clothes. Summer time I needed all new shorts and tee shirts. Now I've just got out my autumn/winter gear nothing fits. Jeans hang off me like a wragg, fleece's are huge. Costing me a small fortune. Guess that's the price you pay for being a fatty :D

Donate all your old clothes to the local charity shop, make some fat bloke happy :)

Donate all your old clothes to the local charity shop, make some fat bloke happy :)
Stuff that going on eBay, got to try and get some money back. Will make a slim bloke happy ;)

What are your thoughts about cutting out carbs? Is this something that must be done to lose weight or will this give us less energy in the gym?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom