My first time gym adventures

Probably not after only a week, but as suggested, your body will fluctuate on a daily /weekly basis, up and down, so look at weighing yourself as a long term project, not something to compare day to day.

yeah, I think the mistake that a lot of beginners make (myself included!) is that they start off too hard and your body isn't used to it...

if the DOMS are that bad - think about using less weights and making sure your technique and form is spot on...

what routine are you doing in your class..?

have a look at a decent beginners routine and stick with that for 6+ months...maybe even look at the 5x5, or the push, pull, leg routine...tho, not sure off the top of my head they're aimed at beginners... but you should just be doing the basics anyway, and not stuff like bicep concentration curls etc... :)

Not suffering aches and pains now but struggling with some of the excersices. They do let you go at the own pace so if you need a rest you can or for example if there is push ups you can do these on your knees. The classes are basisly JD Gyms version of a stripped down Les Mills body attack. Get in lines and complete 2 x 45 seconds and 1 x 30 seconds with 15 seconds rest inbetween then move onto the next excersice. Usually around 6 different excersices.

stick at it...it'll pay off... :)

Well another class this morning, first time with this instructor. Proper slave driver but need that push so enjoyed it.

This is the end of my second week and I'd like to say it's getting easier but it's not. However now starting to feel a lot better so think it's starting to pay off.

Using "my fitness pal" app has been an eye opener. Amazed what calories are in some of the foods I've been eating :eek: Certainly changing what I'm eatting going firward. Can essly see how just one meal could blow your daliy limit.

Ordered a compression top to try and stop my fat moving around while doing certain excersices as it's uncomfortable. Determined to get fit just hope my motivation doesn't wain.

Well another class this morning, first time with this instructor. Proper slave driver but need that push so enjoyed it.

This is the end of my second week and I'd like to say it's getting easier but it's not. However now starting to feel a lot better so think it's starting to pay off.

Using "my fitness pal" app has been an eye opener. Amazed what calories are in some of the foods I've been eating :eek: Certainly changing what I'm eatting going firward. Can essly see how just one meal could blow your daliy limit.

Ordered a compression top to try and stop my fat moving around while doing certain excersices as it's uncomfortable. Determined to get fit just hope my motivation doesn't wain.
Well if it does, we are here to give you a boot up the butt! You are doing fantastic mate.
It took me years to get fat, took me longer than two weeks to lose it! (Still got half a stone or so to go).

Well that's the end of my 3rd week at the gym. The classes are still hard going but do feel better for it just need to start building strength in my arms and legs. Didn't realise how weak I was/am
:(
Lost 0.6kg last week which I'm happy with considering we went out to a Chinese buffet for mothers day so that totally blew my calorie count!

Even tempted to try and fit in a weekend class :eek:

nice read - if you get stuck for going to the gym i'd recommend this app - i had to spend a week away in a hotel (for work recently) and training really is important to me (sanity check required) so i used this in the week to save paying silly London gym money for a week only...

just to add - not my app (nor affiliated in any way) but just found it useful personally... :)

Home Workout - No Equipment - Android Apps on Google Play

Don't usually end up in supermarkets but went in with the Mrs this afternoon. Thought it would be interesting to see what calories are in foods/snacks I'd been eating using my fitness pal app. OMG can see how easy it is to put weight on. A bag of popcorn I usually have on a Sunday while watching films was 850 calories and I'd eat a bigger bag than the one I checked. Was getting some funny looks scanning numerous barcodes but can easily see now where I've been going wrong.

Don't usually end up in supermarkets but went in with the Mrs this afternoon. Thought it would be interesting to see what calories are in foods/snacks I'd been eating using my fitness pal app. OMG can see how easy it is to put weight on. A bag of popcorn I usually have on a Sunday while watching films was 850 calories and I'd eat a bigger bag than the one I checked. Was getting some funny looks scanning numerous barcodes but can easily see now where I've been going wrong.

Nice:smashin:, you'll find that most foods that are high in protein are generally low in calories, which kills two birds with one stone,they're also non addictive, unlike all the high calorie foods we all like :(

Am just into my second month or so back in the gym after a 2 year hiatus and wow it is good - not sure I could ever go to any classes as I find the whole class thing awful.

Booked a session with a pt next week to learn free weights will see how that goes just been doing cardio and the fixed weight machines - I 'think' the free weights are better as you get more movement etc

Am just into my second month or so back in the gym after a 2 year hiatus and wow it is good - not sure I could ever go to any classes as I find the whole class thing awful.

Booked a session with a pt next week to learn free weights will see how that goes just been doing cardio and the fixed weight machines - I 'think' the free weights are better as you get more movement etc
Wow I almost envy you, you've got so much great new stuff coming your way - is so exciting! I'm currently doing a 12 week bodyweight circuit training program, which along with a much better diet, I'm getting good results from but I can't wait to get back to the barbell.

Can't really do barbell after my circuit session as I'm normally too knackered!

Now completed 4 weeks at the gym doing the Hiit classes 3 days a week. Still hard work and yesterday's class was by far the hardest yet. Usually do 6 stations but the trainer got us to complete 7. Sweat was pouring out of me! One exercise was crawling on all fours forwards and backwards. Did this the first week and it was impossible to complete without keep stopping for a rest. This time while still tough I managed to get through it without needing to stop before the time was up. Also now feeling muscles in my stomach that I've never had before (still hidden by fat :blush: ). Starting to see and feel the difference. Also 1kg weight loss for last week. Not had any thoughts about not going to the gym and booked in for good Friday and Easter Monday. Surprising myself how much I'm enjoying it.

I kaffled on my session to learn free weights (work commitments and other lame excuses!) although I have booked to do them again after easter!

Am oddly looking forward to it

Still not sure I could ever go to any classes of any sort I like to go in and do my own thing having a load of people round me and someone shouting instructions does not do it for me in any way.

Watched a spin class and think I would rather slit my wrists....

Still not sure I could ever go to any classes of any sort I like to go in and do my own thing having a load of people round me and someone shouting instructions does not do it for me in any way.

Watched a spin class and think I would rather slit my wrists....
From the classes I've done so far it's been a good mix of abilities and ages so you don't feel singled out. Instructors are good, pushing you without being forceful. I like the group classes which gives you to motivation to see it through.

Quick update. Now starting my 7th week at the gym. Now including a weekend class or two, going 3 times in the week and one or two weekend classes. Done two Les Mills body pump classes which I felt the next day. Still getting to grips with the Les Mills workout out as it's instructor timings can be difficult to follow for us beginners ;-) Can now see and feel the results so it's starting to pay off. Got to say JD gyms are fabulous value for money if you do a few classes. £20 pm and all classes are included.

Quick update. Now starting my 7th week at the gym. Now including a weekend class or two, going 3 times in the week and one or two weekend classes. Done two Les Mills body pump classes which I felt the next day. Still getting to grips with the Les Mills workout out as it's instructor timings can be difficult to follow for us beginners ;-) Can now see and feel the results so it's starting to pay off. Got to say JD gyms are fabulous value for money if you do a few classes. £20 pm and all classes are included.

Good to see you kept at it, the first 7-8 weeks are always the worst, so many aches and pains and not many visible gains, the next 8 weeks should be great for you, the changes and the gains you make and see should be quite substantial :clap:

Brilliant stuff mate, really pleased for you!

Brilliant stuff mate, really pleased for you!
Cheers buddy. Getting to grips with gym life but struggling with my diet. Using MFP to count calories but seem to be around 700 calories under my target each day on average (Pretty sure I'm counting correctly). Started to feel tired during the morning now (heavy eyes). My food intake is not the best (hate veg) but enjoy fruit. Not really hungry so not craving food just can't seem to get close to my calorie target (2200). Any tips??

Cheers buddy. Getting to grips with gym life but struggling with my diet. Using MFP to count calories but seem to be around 700 calories under my target each day on average (Pretty sure I'm counting correctly). Started to feel tired during the morning now (heavy eyes). My food intake is not the best (hate veg) but enjoy fruit. Not really hungry so not craving food just can't seem to get close to my calorie target (2200). Any tips??
Can you post your mfp here for us to look at? That could be one or two things you are eating that we can suggest alternatives for and they may bring your Calories down and deal with the fatigue.
Or maybe screenshots?

This is tricky one as everyone's palet is different, as for fruit whilst it is good for you like all things in moderation, there s a large amount of sugar in most fruits and I tend to put them in the same category as nuts, great for you but you can over endulgle and then thet have a negative effect on your diet.

I find eating 2 wholemeal bagels or a 100 gr of porridge with just plain water 3 hours before a heavy workout really helps.

My best advice for you is to learn your foods and the calories they contain and don't be reliant in an app, everyday doesn't have to be exact, it's ok to eat over calories on some days as on other days you will counter balance that, most diets fail because people are too strict with themselves and ultimately are unable to maintain it, so rather than a diet it needs to be a long term solution to food and exercise that can be maintained, and the body will just naturally change over time.

Neilwestwood1's Food Diary | MyFitnessPal.com

Try that?? Like I say not the best diet, sorry quite picky eater.

Other might well argue this but for me far too much fruit and nowhere near enough protien !

My day is like this..

4 slices brown bread for breakfast with low fat Philly cheese.
Lunch protien shake
Tea will be a will be lots of veg with meat and little potatoes.
Evening 5 weetbix and milk
And maybe some chicken breast

That's roughly today's foods somewhere around 2000-2500 cals

Approx 80-120gr protein
Approx 150-200gr of carbs.

Like a say it doesn't have to an exact science just eat well and the right food.

Working on increasing protein as can see I'm low on that.

Sorry worth noting I'm still trying to shed another 15kg in weight.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom