My first time gym adventures

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So thought I'd start a thread on my experience of going to a gym for the first time.

The plan is to shed some weight and get fit. Being 47 and 20kg over weight suspect it's going to hard going but determined to try and stick with it. Have being cutting down on crap food like crisps, chocolate, etc which with walking the dog I managed to lose a stone. However been stuck at around 100kg for a number of weeks now and with a new gym opening on my way to work thought now would be an ideal time to give gym membership a go.

As I'll be attending the gym on my own I decided to go for the classes rather than workout alone. Figured being in a large class there would be less chance of me quitting early and would be pushed along by the instructor.

Last edited:
Monday was my very first day and wasn't sure what to expect even after watching countless YouTube videos. First thing that made things a little easier was the mix of people in the class. A good spread from young to older with fit and new starters like me. Felt more comfortable with this wide group of age and ability. The class was a JD (gyms) burn designed to burn 500 to 1000 calories. Did six different excersices working most parts of the body. Not going to lie it was hard going and by the end I was shot but happy to have got through the 35min class in one peice.

Next day I woke up a felt like I'd had a good kicking. Just shows how I hardly use many muscles being stuck behind a desk most of the day. Even struggled to put my socks on! Not sure I'd be able to make the next class.

Last edited:
Second class today. Woke up feeling much better than when I went to bed. So went back for more punishment. New instructor this time with new excersices. Boy that was hard work. Really struggled with some of them. Couldn't move my legs, they'd gone to jelly. Got through the whole class again though which I'm pleased with. Even the super fit guys where waining towards the end. Now aching all over again but guess no pain no gain?

Next session on Friday.

Excellent - keeping a log is a good idea - motivates and focuses you to keep going and improving.

Cardio stuff is a good start and don't forget that you can't out train a bad diet. Sort you diet out and you'll do well. Clean eating, lots of water, cut out sugar and alcohol as much as you can.

Try counting calories in versus out. Loads of apps, consider a fitbit/watch or something to track steps etc. Anything to motivate you.

Good luck.

Second class today. Woke up feeling much better than when I went to bed. So went back for more punishment. New instructor this time with new excersices. Boy that was hard work. Really struggled with some of them. Couldn't move my legs, they'd gone to jelly. Got through the whole class again though which I'm pleased with. Even the super fit guys where waining towards the end. Now aching all over again but guess no pain no gain?

Next session on Friday.
Well Done mate!!!
Keeping a blog here is a great way to keep track of what you do and how you can see your improvements and a great way to hold yourself accountable.
You've had a great start, just keep on keeping on. In some ways it isn't even the exercises we do but the intensity we put in it that really matters.

I do envy you, you are at the start of a great journey and you know where you are and where you want to be and the rest is just how you get there. Exciting times!
Feels like a good time to wheel out one of my favourite quotes, which I remind myself of whenever I start losing motivation...

Why choose failure, when success is so an option..

Thanks for the motivation guys :smashin:. When/if I get over the muscle ache I'm sure I'll start to really get into it and start to increase the work out intensity.

Disaster! Just woke up to snow so will need to take the Mrs into work this morning so will now miss my burn class. Gutted as I am feeling much better with most of the aches and pains gone. Booked back in for Monday.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you won't always want to go to the gym and exercise, sometimes the thought can be worse than the act itself, this is when you have keep your toe in the water so to speak, even if you go to a class or hit the weights in the gym and just go through the motions and have an easy workout it's better than nothing at all and keeps your body ready and maintained for when you want to hit it hard to make the gains.

Disaster! Just woke up to snow so will need to take the Mrs into work this morning so will now miss my burn class. Gutted as I am feeling much better with most of the aches and pains gone. Booked back in for Monday.
For when you can't get to the gym, body weight training at home. You only need enough space to lay down on the floor..

Scale for difficulty or ease..

Press ups
Sit ups
Burpees
Lunges on the spot alternating legs forward and back.

You can do these for time like 30s each then 60s rest of pick a number like 10 of each and 60s. See how many rounds you can do...

For when you can't get to the gym, body weight training at home. You only need enough space to lay down on the floor..

Scale for difficulty or ease..

Press ups
Sit ups
Burpees
Lunges on the spot alternating legs forward and back.

You can do these for time like 30s each then 60s rest of pick a number like 10 of each and 60s. See how many rounds you can do...

Sounds better for me aswell

Sounds better for me aswell
It isn't too be sniffed at, it can be done relaxed and easy for those new to exercising or turn the intensity up to 11 and go balls to the wall and get fried from it.

In short, the choice of exercise isn't as important as the effort and intensity that goes into it.
Your body doesn't know numbers, or weights or reps and sets, it only knows effort, intensity and time under tension.

It isn't too be sniffed at, it can be done relaxed and easy for those new to exercising or turn the intensity up to 11 and go balls to the wall and get fried from it.

In short, the choice of exercise isn't as important as the effort and intensity that goes into it.
Your body doesn't know numbers, or weights or reps and sets, it only knows effort, intensity and time under tension.

Agreed, numbers just give a perceived effort level under different loads..

Just to add, whilst I am not massive fan of the beach body workout series videos, I do think that the likes of the t25 has it's place for homeworkout.

I would recommend doing one if getting to the gym isn't possible, whilst I agree you can do burpess, push ups, of your own accord, motivation and known how long to recover between exercises can be difficult, for the beginner these videos are simply better structured and likely will give better workout than trying to attempt a solo effort.

Just to add, whilst I am not massive fan of the beach body workout series videos, I do think that the likes of the t25 has it's place for homeworkout.

I would recommend doing one if getting to the gym isn't possible, whilst I agree you can do burpess, push ups, of your own accord, motivation and known how long to recover between exercises can be difficult, for the beginner these videos are simply better structured and likely will give better workout than trying to attempt a solo effort.
For me the hardest thing is the motivation, especially to train after work.
Because my missus works at the gym, sometimes she takes the kids the when she works late and I have to pick them up from there when I finish work.
There has been times when I have packed my gym bag in the morning and put it in the car but when I've got there I've been too knackered and grumpy to train so not bothered.
And other times when I've FORCED myself to do it, I've enjoyed it and get great after.
In fact thinking about it, it's happening more often and I'm starting to enjoy it and forward to it!

Have some of my best sessions when i “force” myself to go to the gym.

But can’t beat that feeling of DOMS.

Have some of my best sessions when i “force” myself to go to the gym.

But can’t beat that feeling of DOMS.
Almost don't remember the last time I DIDN'T have some DOMS somewhere...

Back at it this morning. Not feeling anything like last week so hope my body is now adjusting to working more areas and working harder. Still hard going so know this is going to be a slow process but not suffering aches and pains is a relief in its own. Really struggling with leg excersices. Got us crawling forwards and backwards on all fours this morning. Legs had gone after just a few minutes :eek:

Now started calorie counting using "my fitness pal" app.

Back at it this morning. Not feeling anything like last week so hope my body is now adjusting to working more areas and working harder. Still hard going so know this is going to be a slow process but not suffering aches and pains is a relief in its own. Really struggling with leg excersices. Got us crawling forwards and backwards on all fours this morning. Legs had gone after just a few minutes :eek:

Now started calorie counting using "my fitness pal" app.
Well done mate, you are making real progress.
I've changed my training from strength training to circuit based training. It's bloody hard work and my dodgy joints and pressed nerves are letting me know all about it but they are just going to have to adapt and improve.

I've found this to be a good home session, only takes 20 minutes and really gets the heart rate up

20 Burpees
20 squats
20 reverse lunges (alternative leg each time)
10 pushup's
10 crunches

Rest for 60 seconds and repeat for 5 times [emoji14]

Fourth day at the gym classes this morning. Can't say it's getting any easier and my legs are so weak. Can walk for miles but these classes turn them to jelly!

Really trying hard to count my calories and eatting under my target but seem to be gaining weight which is becoming a little frustrating.

Really trying hard to count my calories and eatting under my target but seem to be gaining weight which is becoming a little frustrating.

It's only been a week - how can you be gaining weight?

Stay off the scales. Don't get on scales for a month. If your eating less than your body needs, and going to the gym, there is no way you should be gaining weight.

Post up a few days of your eating - be honest. Eat clean, no sugar, no alcohol, lots of water.

Would building muscle mass add weight? Not that I'm becoming Mr universe but guess now I'm using muscles that have not worked hard for a long time are they starting to change??

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom