My first time building a HTPC (or any pc) questions.

sleep tight grim rite

Standard Member
So i have decided to build myself a HTPC but i have liimited knowledge of computers. I was just wondering if the components i have picked out would all go together.

CPU: Intel CPU Core i5 3570K Quad Core IvyBridge Processor Retail - BX80637I53570K - Scan.co.uk £176.60
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI.. | Ebuyer.com £119.71
RAM: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit.. | Ebuyer.com £40.00
SSD: Samsung 128GB 830 Series SSD - Solid State Drive - MZ-7PC128B/WW - Scan.co.uk £79.34
GFX: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gtx-670-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-915mhz-boost-980mhz-cores-1344-2x-dl-dvi-dp-hd £286.79
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply (PSU) - Scan.co.uk £53.52
Case: InWin Griffin Yellow Gaming Case - No Psu | Ebuyer.com £36.31

I already have these speakers: Logitech Z906 Surround Sound 5.1 Speaker System | Ebuyer.com

TV: Panasonic Viera Tx-P50S30B

Are the connecters i connect my PC to my TV on the MOBO? or the GPU?
Should i be buying a soundcard to get more out of my speakers rather than an onboard one?

Cheers.

delta_42

That's more of a high end gaming PC than a HTPC!

You could build a more than decent HTPC for not much more than the price of that graphics card!

Other than that, have fun!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Assuming you're using the S/PDIF connection you probably won't see much difference from a soundcard. You want to connect the HDMI cable to the GPU, not the motherboard.

As for compatibility it looks decent but that's a fairly long card so I don't know if the cheapy clone case will be big enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom