My first SVS 20-39PC Plus graph

neilball

Prominent Member
Reaction score
20-39PC+ in front left hand corner of the room (rectangular 6.0x4.5m), sofa is towards the back of the room around 5m from sub, meter placed on sofa back, centred on the plasma screen, slightly left of room centre line.

Sub levels measured with RS analogue meter, C weighted, slow response. Frequencies played via PC sound card.

Sub gain about 1/4, no PEQ.

Any comments about the graph attached? Still waiting for my new AV receiver & speakers to arrive so not had chance to try it with music/movies yet.

Would also appreciate some guidance on how/where to post the graph so I can embed it as an image rather than an attachment.

Attachments

• SVS 20-39PC+ measured levels.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 141
Finally got some graphics editing software onto my laptop so graph now attached as a jpeg (hopefully).

I seem to have a couple of dips due to the room although I have not yet played with sub positioning - I can move the sub upto a foot in any direction. I also noticed that as I moved around close to my preferred seating area these nulls were not so apparent - the sub output was audibly louder although I did not want to move the meter at that point to measure the difference until I had recorded one full set of results.

As it was my first play I used every tone from 100Hz down to 15Hz which does take some time, is this really necessary or should I stick with 5Hz steps when trying out new locations?

Attachments

• SVS 20-39PC+ measured levels.jpg
    SVS 20-39PC+ measured levels.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
It looks good except for the dip at 43Hz, which you should solve with positioning or with bass traps.

Otherwise, you have +-5dB in-room response, which is usually ok, although you could tame down some peaks and try reaching +-3dB or +-2dB, which should sound better.

Many afficianados in here use the Room Eq Wizard software (REW) to dispaly the graph to known axes' scales. Any null or peek will be more recognisable and whether its tamable or not. But the biggest thing which you need to do for presentation of the graph is to get the x-axis on a logarithmic scale.

I've manually imported my readings into REW and attach the resulting graph below. I've looked for guidance but cannot find any data on setting the scales of the graph to standardise the results, would be grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• svs 20-39pc plus - rew.jpg
    svs 20-39pc plus - rew.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 127
Neil on the rew forums at hometheatreshack they are numorous posts on what settings to use, just look for a my first graph post and some helpful person will list the settings.

Found the info and repost the graph again.

Is it feasible to use my standard laptop soundcard with my RS meter and REW to carry out automated measurement?

Attachments

• svs 20-39pc plus - rew.jpg
    svs 20-39pc plus - rew.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Neil on the rew forums at hometheatreshack they are numorous posts on what settings to use, just look for a my first graph post and some helpful person will list the settings.

Why not directing to the useful FAQs in this very forum, where everything is explained? ;) :D

Is it feasible to use my standard laptop soundcard with my RS meter and REW to carry out automated measurement?

Most laptops do not have line-in, but mic-in. Mic-in will not do! Laptops usually get hooked up to an external USB soundcard.

THe dip at 42Hz would give me some concern. Before dealing with the other peaks, I'd be tempted to move the sub/listening position slightly to see if it can be improved a little.

Why not directing to the useful FAQs in this very forum, where everything is explained? ;) :D

Sorry, it was just that I was looking at that forum just before reading this post and saw those questions being asked.

THe dip at 42Hz would give me some concern. Before dealing with the other peaks, I'd be tempted to move the sub/listening position slightly to see if it can be improved a little.

I'm sure that I can improve the dip, in fact SWMBO has already added a few bits of new furniture which means our listening position hs already changed. Just need to get round to measuring again while the house is quiet, pretty difficult with young kids on school holidays!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom