My first projector ? Or not

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bobflunkit, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bobflunkit

bobflunkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Ill try to keep this short, but will probably fail miserably, but bear with me.

Really tempted by that big screen wow factor, but can't break the bank or kill the wife;).

I've got everything that I'm ever going to need sound wise, but I just fancy that 100"+ image.

But there's just so much I have no idea about, I've tried reading multiple threads but that just ends up with more questions that I can't answer.

Total budget is about £750 give or take. Going to be used for blu rays/Netflix/gaming. Now here come the questions, and you'll have to forgive me if the answer is obvious but, on this subject I'm next to clueless.

1. How do I convince the wife?:laugh:

Now the questions that hopefully have a simple answer.

Projector is going to be 4m away from equipment rack but routing an hdmi cable is going to be about 15m around the houses. What can I do?

Screen? We live in a rental property, so no real knocking the house about. Fixed screen, that I can take down and store somewhere? Or drop down screen? But as we all know she's gonna kick off big time over that one. And I can't project onto a flat wall as there is a 1.5 chimney breast exactly where I would like my image.

Noise. The projector will only be 1m at most away from my head whilst in use, will this prove to be an issue. Ok, I can put up with a little noise whilst viewing but is this going to be a deal breaker?

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. mikemag

mikemag
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,951
    Can only help with the first question.

Pick whatever she most like watching, thrillers, dramas, or if you intend to add a tv box into the mix at some stage, her favourite programme, and sell her on the benefits of enjoying the best seats in the house.

My wife just about tolerated my setup until a added tv into the mix in time for the 2012 Olympics, nowadays we watch something nearly every night.

3. bobflunkit

bobflunkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Oh believe me I've already tried that, but neighbours is neighbours in my book.

4. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Most projectors at that price are happy to be put away in a cupboard so you only need to bring them out when you decide to use it. (This should solve the wife and cable problem)

There are plenty of portable screens available which can be collapsed when not in use and placed in a corner out of the way, (This should also solve the wife problem) the only downside is that you will need to fit the base behind the centre speaker or move the centre speaker to the front of the screen.

Once the wife has watched a few of “Her” favourite films (This is of vital importance) she will probably be more amenable to a fixed system.

As to what to buy, everyone is different, so pop along to your local dealer and try a few out.

Hope this helps

Bill