1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first projector demo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kennyb, Mar 27, 2004.

1. kennyb

kennyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to see my first projector demo today (new av shop opened in my area (windygates fife)),anyway the owner has a themescene h30 setup,so i sit down and he starts the demo by playing aliens,ive read alot here about dlp and rainbows,so i mention it ,he forwards to a bit in the film where two people are carrying torches and right away i see them when i look from torch to torch on the image they really catch my eyes bigtime, pity cause everything else looked stunning ,so i take it im one of the ones who see rainbows and any dlp wont do me any good? ,im gonna opt for the z2 now i think .

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yep you see rainbows but saying any dlp is no good for you is a bit on the harsh side, it's just going to cost a lot more for you to go dlp. :(

3. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    where is this shop? i live in fife quite keen to see h30

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I too saw rainbows at first.But with some good advice from Jeff at projectorsareus i bought a Sim2 ,now I don't notice any at all.I believe it is something you get used to maybe.
    Interesting note my wife, who never looks at this site!,never saw a rainbow UNTIL I told her about them,she took no noticeof it and it does not bother her.
    You just can't watch films without a PJ,once you've seen them though,beware!!Everything else is tiny........:)

Phil

5. kennyb

kennyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fama : This shop just recently opened in Windygates between Leven and Glenrothes,really cool setup the guy has.

6. duck

duck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What other models were available for demo ? Do you know the address of the shop ...... Cheers

7. c3po

c3po

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New shop just opened in windygates, fife called Hollywood@home. They have the H30 all set up, service is very good from them. Very impressed by H30 so bought one(screen, ceiling mount and cables).

8. c3po

c3po

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also saw rainbows on the H30 but then again i see chicken mesh on lcd, hairs and scratches on celluloid.

I reckon i could see rainbows less than 3 secs worth split over an hours viewing on the H30, none of the rest of the family noticed it (but then I was Kodak trained in image quality so I look for artifacts).

In terms of bangs for bucks the H30 is fantastic, I use the Japanese attack Bombing sequence from pearl harbour as a demo for my sound system. On the H30 the image took you into
    the action. Can't wait to get mine set up, should arrive within the next couple of days.

9. GWR

GWR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kenny - glad you liked the shop set up and the demo. Two things for you consider:
    1. don't get too hung up on the rainbow effect - the more you look for it the more you're likely to see it! I watched the rest of the Aliens movie on the H30 at the weekend and it was fine. I see rainbows occasionally - but not on all movies. As I explained, it only seems to occur when there is a bright light source on the screen surrounded by a darker colour - e.g. the torches from the scene you watched.
    2. make sure you demo the LCD projector before you buy. You may find that the H30 offers superior contrast, black rendition and more realistic colours - but then I would say that!

Happy viewing,

Gordon Robertson
    Hollywood@Home

10. kennyb

kennyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon
    nice to see you made it here,maybe your right about the h30 and maybe i need to watch a bit longer to get a better overall "balance" of the images projected,are you possibly gonna demo lcd projectors in the future say the z2 so as to see the differences.
    Hope your buisness goes well as it looks great
    hope to be back soon

11. GWR

GWR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No plans to sell LCD projectors at this stage, but never say never. Why not come in with some of your fave DVDs and spend some time with the H30? I need to sell some so that I can afford one at home!!