• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My first projector Benq W100

87cricket

Standard Member
This is also my first post on the forum and therefore hello and a big Thankyou, to everyone who make this a helpful and interesting site. So I finally bought the Benq W100 and it is fantastic, I am only really interested in using it for DVD’s and these are viewed using a s-video connection (only option I have at the moment) I may try Sky TV via scart to component (is this my best choice?) in the future. I did buy this projector without a demonstration and I do experience some rainbow effect but I can live with it and besides the longer I am watching the less noticeable it becomes. I know I have nothing to compare the W100 to but I think I am quite a fussy viewer and the colours flesh tones and infamous blacks are to me very impressive.

cyberheater

It's funny. When I got my first DLP machine I noticed rainbows but stopped seeing them after a month or two. Your brain manages to stop seeing 'em.

Yep. A W100 is a cracking entry into home cinema. If you can. Pick up a cheap Toshiba progressive scan dvd player and you'll notice a huge improvement in picture quality. It would be well worth it.

B

bodenross

Hi CyberHeater,

Just looked at your answer to the question. When you say to buy a progressive scan dvd player, do you mean that an improvement in picture quality will result even if it is still connected just via s-video? Can you recommend any particular dvd-player? I also have a BenQ W100 and was looking at getting a dvd player with a component video output or should I be going for one with a DVI output?

Also, how long can the cables be before the signal degrades?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first post but I have, at least, gained some valuable knowledge from this forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom