1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first post here, need advice about a surround receiver??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CosmicOne, May 10, 2004.

1. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, it's my first post in this forums & it's a question to u audio guru's:

I have a surround system consists of:

KenWood KRF-5030D 110Wx5 Dolbydigital receiver
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 as main speakers(150W @ 6ohm)
    Pioneer SD-55 as surround speakers (3 way,180W@6ohm)
    RCA center speaker & a large floor standing 3way Akai speaker(i have it & i don't use it so i put it as a center coz my RCA center is too small)
    RCA 100W powered Sub

anyway i want to upgrade my Receiver & my only options where i live (Egypt) & which can match my budget are those:

Yamaha RX-V540 (or maybe RX-V640 if comes down in price)
    HarmanKordon AVR-2550
    Marantz SR5000

there's onkyos & other's but more more expensive.

anyway am leaning toword the Yamahas but i have 3 things am worried about:
    1-the RX-V540 "not the RDS" is rated as 100Wx6,could it be less powered than my 110Wx5 KenWood espicially that the KenWood can't drive the Diamond8.4's very good i think they need more power???or the Yamaha gonna be more powerful than the Kenwood??

2-i hear everywhere that the Yamaha is bad in stereo mode??what does that mean & how bad is it??& is it gonna be worse than my kenwood in stereo???

3-is this yamaha amp gonna be good with my speakers???or it needs better speakers or the speakers needs better amp??

thanx guys in advance & anyhelp will be appreciated.:thumbsup:

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon guys any help pls pls pls!!!

3. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha 640 and it is brilliant.

I can't say how good it would be with your speaker as I don't know enough about the subject.

For my ears stereo is fine, although I have to play CD's on a proper CD player and not through the DVD player as they sound terrible through the DVD player.

Hope someone with a bit more knowledge can give you some more info.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can't help you with your question except to tell you that amplifier manufacturers are about as truthful as political parties with their statistics. There are many different ways of measuring power output and many of the 100watt plus amps can actually fall to 35 watts with all channels being driven ay once before the onset of distortion.

The best way to ensure that you are happy with the matching of amp and speakers is to listen to them together and in the UK many dealers will allow you to do this.

I have never heard of RCA speakers so you may have trouble getting an opinion from anyone here in the UK and Akai is a name that I haven't heard snce the days of tape recorders.

5. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx guys for replying,

So Techno Freak;
    are u happy with ur Yamaha,when u switch from stereo mode to 5speaker mode,does it fall in power very much or u don't notice it or the sounds gets better throught all speakers.

Ian J,
    u r right dude,my Kenwood lost power very very much when i switch from stereo mode to 5 speaker mode it's barley driving the speakers & lost bass & the treble sounds strange & not so good & detailed like in Stereo mode,also i know that KenWood measures it's power in 1ch only.
    RCA is a brand to RadioShack so i think there's no RadioShack in UK!
    also my Akai speakers are very very old but have good sound so i only use one of them as center channel,it's specs is 3way 25mm Tweeter,10cm Midrange,10" woofer 80W max 8ohm.

6. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Yamaha 640 gives out plenty of power and is excellent for the price. Better than the Marantz 5400 which pipped the Yamaha to the post in a recent review here, at least it is in my opinion.

My wife listends to a lot of music and is well impressed with quality playing CDs through the Yamaha DVD player connected to this. The addition of a decent sub made a *big* difference to sound quality overall though.

7. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So why everyone is upset from it's Stereo quality??& say's that Marantz's are much much better???

u said that 640 gives plenty of power,does this applies to 5 speaker mode???do u fell there more powerful than 2 speakers in stereo mode like they should be (5>2)??or they are weaker like with my KenWood ??? the 5speakers are weaker than 2 speakers in Stereo mode.

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys,more feedback plz,spechially guys with the 540 or 640 receivers.

9. dimes

dimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The power of the RXV640 will out perform your Kenwood in the long run. The Kenwood is not rated at true power. It is rated at peek power. If power was an issue I wouldn't spend so much damn money on my 2 channel system for 35 watts and would have picked up a 500 watt sony htib system. Simple Cosmicone, add 300 horses to a v8 and 350 horses to a honda 4cyl toss them on the freeway and see who can travel 20 miles the fastest.

What I am saying is Yamaha is not a company that sells numbers, they sell quality components while being honest at the same time. The Rms on your kenwood is much less while the THD is very high... like any kenwood. Sell that thing on ebay for 50 bucks and get yourself a nice Yamaha.

- Kevin.

10. wizard78

wizard78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello people i am new to this site but its just what i needed does any one have any set up tips for my yamaha v640 rds as i know she is old but have had her for years and know she can be set up a lot better i have just brought my hitachi plazma and need to sort my sound out HELP HELP HELP