My First post - help with multi device (including pc) to a sound system

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ammerandy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. ammerandy

ammerandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm building a PC, and will be connecting to a 22" monitor and also 42" plasma. I additionally have sky HD. I will be using my PC as blueray player, and audio out is 7.1 (from mobo).

I've been scanning through the web most of the day (hope the boss doesn't find out!) to find a creative solution to connect audio from PC and Sky to a system - but don't seem to be able to find the right advice.

I've also been around all the PC stores looking at PC speakers and also surround systems and don't seem to be able to find one that will accept multiple inputs.

Budget may be an issue depending on the solution - is there anyone around who can help?

:lease:

Andy

2. welshmatt

welshmatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The best (although maybe not cheapest) solution would be to buy seperate amp and speakers to get the best sound from the PC and Sky HD. PC and all-in-one solutions are usually hindered by their lack of flexibility with inputs. Most amps will allow at least 2 optical (spdif) inputs, and then you always have the option of coaxial/hdmi etc for any future purchases.

If this is impossible due to budget/space etc then you could always try an optical switcher, you can get them for less than a tenner on ebay. This would allow you to connect up to 3 devices to one input slot.

3. ammerandy

ammerandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. ammerandy

ammerandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - after plenty of surfing, and divulging i've found this:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3350

ONKYO TXSR505E HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

This has 2 optical digital inputs, so if i amended the sound card on my PC for one that had an optical out then i should be able to connect the PC and Sky HD to this via TosLink?

This is all new to me, so apologies if i'm miles off target.

Can someone recommend some speakers to go with this (i'm looking for 5.1)?

Thanks in advance!

5. welshmatt

welshmatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im pretty sure that the spdif out on the mobo is the same as optical. Therefore the two optical cables from the PC and Sky HD would plug nicely into that amp you linked to. One thing to note is that that amp is suitable for those who want a 7.1 speaker setup. If you are only planning a 5.1 setup you could save £50 and get this one instead (which I have myself):

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3490

Nor sure about speakers, best to ask in the speaker forum. :)

6. ammerandy

ammerandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice :clap: