1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first plasma !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tones1966, Mar 2, 2005.

1. tones1966

tones1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking to buy my first large flat screen. Richer Sounds seem to be offering the lowest prices and a very good warranty. I love the look of the Panasonic TH42PWD6BX 42" plasma but I need to know what extras I need to buy so as I can conect a DVD player, home cinema, Sky Digital and a normal RF arial.

Im also impressed by the Philips 37PF9946 37" plasma which comes with tuner and 2 scarts. Both are priced at £1099.95

Any recomendations about either screens and what I would need for the Panasonic ?

If anyone has any better suggestions for around the same price,,,please let me know.
    I appreciate your help,,
    Many thanks

Tony

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. NAUTILUS

NAUTILUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate
    just got the TH42PWD6BX , wall mounted it... sat down , great!!
    easy to use ,great pic...
    i to was looking at all the plasmas and this one had easily the better pic
    hope this helps
    nautilus
    btw got the scart board with it

4. tones1966

tones1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read on some forums about the Richer Sounds staff trying to sell you something different if you ask for a Panasonic Plasma in thier stores. Well..this happened to me. I phoned the store and asked if they had the Panasonic TH42PWD6BX in stock. " Yes, we have 2 left, shall we put one aside for you ?" was the reply. So, I arrived at the store and said that I had one reserved for me. The first words from the sales staff was " Why do you want that particular plasma ?" They then tried to sell me 3 other models including a JVC, Hitachi and even an LG which was in fact over a hundred pounds cheaper than my reserved Panasonic ! They were willing to give me good discounts on any plasma EXCEPT the panny. I stuck to my guns and walked out with my Panny TH42PWD6BX and it looks stunning on my wall. I bought the Panny Scart card for £130 but they have promised to price match it with one I found on the internet for £99 and knock a further £10 off !
    One of the Richer Sounds staff admited that they are lucky to make any profit at all on these pannys, but the profit margin on the other models are much higher. Enough said !
    So be warned...if you want it, go in there, and walk out with it ( Best pay for it first!). Dont let them sway you.

Tony

5. hitman126

hitman126

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate,

I am in a similar dilemma as yourself. How weird. Basically, I was all set to purchase the 42" version (Philips 42PF9946) of the very same Philips model you mentioned, but then popped into Richer Sounds who stock the 37" version and a salesman somehow got me convinced I would be better off with the PANASONIC TH42PWD6BX. "But the Panny doesn't have a tuner, nor enough scart sockets if at all, I pleaded". Still, the fella wouldn't budge. He said, "If you already have a Cable Receiver, then you wouldn't need a tuner anyway. As for picture quality, you're definitely better off with the Panny."

Somehow, all his arguments convinced me and I am literally just about 72 hours from purchasing the Richer Sounds Panny. One other thing that might be useful, I visited some Plasma Review sites and where there was a vote for the best Plasma, Pannys always ruled the roost.

Reggie.

6. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the same plasma from them yesterday. It was the one I reserved and they didn't try to sell me any other. Am I pleased? You bet I am, it's wall mounted now....fantastic picture from both Sky+ and DVD and just ordered an xbox to do some big screen gaming......best £1099 I've spent in a long time. :clap:

Go for it but use good cables, not sure how much of a difference it makes as I used good ones from the start but from what I have heard it makes a big dif.

John