Question My first NAS....have I jumped the gun?

Simbo2020

Hi All,

I’ve just ordered my first NAS. I went for the Synology DS220+ and it arrives tomorrow. The main reasons for purchasing a NAS was that I want various rooms in my house to have access to my movie collection. I’ve just filled up a 16TB HDD with movies and I will be buying a 2nd 16TB drive soon too as my collection is still growing.

My assumption was that I would simply plug my drive into the NAS and (after some tinkering of course) my various media devices around the house would have access to the movies. Then when I buy my 2nd drive I slot that into the NAS too and away I go. So basically the 2 drives would be simple network drives that I could read from and copy to from my PC. Is this possible?

I was getting a little worried as I was just watching some setup videos and they all show reformatting the drives and losing the data that’s already on them. I have an online backup of my movies but I’d rather not re-download 16TB worth of data.

Hoping someone can put my mind at rest 🙂 Thank you.

EDIT: Can I setup my Synology NAS on a drive that already has data on? The only drive I have at the moment is the 16TB one.

Last edited:

Simbo2020

In short - No. It will need to be formatted for your Synology
Ahh balls. So it looks like I’m going to have to redownload 16TB from my cloud storage. Yikes!

I should probably have read a bit more before purchasing. I thought I would simply insert 2 HDDs into the NAS and then have them as 2 separate drives on my network that I could read from and copy to.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Ahh balls. So it looks like I’m going to have to redownload 16TB from my cloud storage. Yikes!

I should probably have read a bit more before purchasing. I thought I would simply insert 2 HDDs into the NAS and then have them as 2 separate drives on my network that I could read from and copy to.
Hi mate

As you intending on buying a 16tb drive anyway perhaps the play is to get that now, install it into the syno and copy your movies over, allowing you to then format and install the other drive. Given the amount of data involved here I would be inclined to return the 220 and look at a 4 bay, should save you some storage headaches down the road

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom