• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My first long exposure attempt

Prize78

Hi all.

Thought i'd have a crack at long exposure today. This scene is probably a common one, and i've yet to refine my technique, as well as understand the camera. However, you've got to start somewhere eh?!
They were taken on an Olympus e410 dslr.

Feel free to RIA!!

1. My very first attempt....yes i know, it's all rubbish

PB141145.jpg

2. My better attempt...

PB141150.jpg

Go gentle with me!!!....i've only had the camera a couple of days and haven't really got a clue what i'm doing!!!

Last edited:

Prize78

Hopefully sorted now....

shotokan101

Banned
Did you use a tripod ? - doesn't look like it - seems to be a lot of movement especially in the fixed lights in the first shot.....

What ND filter did you use ?

Jim

Prize78

Nope, no tripod....balanced on the bridge railings!! Tripod is on its way at the weekend. ND filter??!

shotokan101

Banned
Nope, no tripod....balanced on the bridge railings!! Tripod is on its way at the weekend. ND filter??!

Will be much better when you get your tripod :)

...ND Filter is normally used to reduce the light enetering the lens to allow longer exposure times than you would normally get - looks like it was dark enough for you to not need one :) - nore useful during daylight I guess - allows that nice "blurred water" effect on waterfalls for example....

JIm

Prize78

Ha ha, yeah, I'm looking forward to getting my tripod. My eagerness for a long exposure shot got the better of me I'm afraid! I'll be back there to take the same shot I think! Is this nd filter a setting in the camera then?

DpM

Is this nd filter a setting in the camera then?

Nope its a filter that you place over the front of the lens. A good one is expensive.
If you want to try day time long exposures on the cheap then get some welding glass and try that. You will need to set a custom white balance I can point you in the direction of how to do it if your interested.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom