My First LCD TV (Sharp)

3Dgeek

Hi all,

Just wanted to say a few words about my upgrade experience from an age-old 29" CRT (4.3) :eek:

I held out for years to get a widescreen tv, as i saw LCD prices falling so much i decided to go for this tech rather than plasma or another crt.

First choice was the Samsung LE32R31, really because of the price and the spec, unforunatly when it arrived it had a complete row of "stuck" sub-pixels vertically and down the center of the screen, doH !

I spent the weekend evaluating the screen to decide whether i wanted a replacement, well, i'm glad i did, i found the the colors to be really in-yer-face and "blownout", i could not seem to improve it with any amount of fiddling, but worse than this was the ghosting, it was really bad.. bye bye samsung.

After a few months consideration i ordered a 32" Sharp P50E, i had high expectations for this screen, and i was not disappointed.

After some tweeking the settings i found the colors to be very natural and vivid, there were some "jaggies" on hard edges, for example the Queens ship at the begining of AOTC, switch to "progressive" in the advanced settings fixed this.

There is no ghosting or smearing whatsoever, it produces lots of detail as well, fast action is great, I,Robot is amazing on this screen, another one that comes to mind is Starship Troopers, its awesome !

Freeview is not so good but is really dependant on the channel and the material being broadcast, it can look close to dvd standard, but freeview is not the reason i bought the set, dvd all the way.

The Sharp P50E is great, just wanted say this, i will post my settings if anyone is interested.

Now i just need to upgrade the old DVD player, well, maybe next year ;)

Reuben

glad you've gone for the 32P50E, I've had mine for bout a month now, very pleased with it, you need to fiddle with the settings on frreview like mad, mines perfect now providing you've not got you nose touching the screen when viewing lol in distance of around 1.5-2m is stunning can't fault the P50's.

I'd appreciate having a browse of your settings :) I've only just finished setting up my 32P50E which arrived today.

How good is this P50 'really' for Sky and Xbox 360?

What prices have you all been paying for this panel?

Any pics?

Thanks,

sneekyb said:
I'd appreciate having a browse of your settings :) I've only just finished setting up my 32P50E which arrived today.

I got mine yesterday and these are the settings I like to use… though my room is only lit by one 60watt table light.

Backlight -5
Contrast +27
Brightness -14
Color -16
Tint 0
Sharpness +7

I also have Color Temp set to Mid-Low
Black On
DNR off
Quickshot on.

My room lighting may not be the same as yours but that’s how I like mine. :)

Got mine from here... http://www.bazaarbuilder.com/cgi-bin/martd/myshop.php?merchant=martd&prodid=863&sinprod=1 :smashin:

I set mine up using DVE, these are my settings for watching DVD at night in dark room:

Backlight -6
Contrast +26
Brightness +12
Colour -8
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Colour Temp Middle
Film Mode On
I/P Setting Progressive
DNR Off and Quickshhot On

When the lights are on I'll knock the backlight up to -4 and during the day I have OPC on which works well but it sets the backlight too low early evening at which point I revert to the manual setting.

My settings are default except for-

Picture/av mode - standard.

darkens the overall image quite a bit but a much more natural representation IMO, also a lot of the compression artifacts are gone or hidden with freeview.

Make sure sharpness is at "0", this function can ruin the image quality.

Picture/advanced- I/P setting - progressive.

Option/ DNR - off.

Option/ Quick shoot - off. (read the manual)

Also, i noticed a big difference between using a 7 meter scart and moving the player under the tv connected with a 1 meter s-video cable, almost like the pixel response improved.

One more thing, like all good hi-fi, let the set warm up for a while before sitting down for your evening movie.

Can't wait to see this set with a digital connection, might get a cable to hookup one of my PC's...

I've tested it with my Xbox playing Forza Motorsport and the pic quality is excellent. Far better than on a friends Pioneer plasma which cost alot more than the Sharp. No smearing at all. :)

3Dgeek said:
My settings are default except for-

Picture/av mode - standard.

darkens the overall image quite a bit but a much more natural representation IMO, also a lot of the compression artifacts are gone or hidden with freeview.

Make sure sharpness is at "0", this function can ruin the image quality.

Picture/advanced- I/P setting - progressive.

Option/ DNR - off.

Option/ Quick shoot - off. (read the manual)

Also, i noticed a big difference between using a 7 meter scart and moving the player under the tv connected with a 1 meter s-video cable, almost like the pixel response improved.

One more thing, like all good hi-fi, let the set warm up for a while before sitting down for your evening movie.

Can't wait to see this set with a digital connection, might get a cable to hookup one of my PC's...
I would recommend getting away from using the default settings and use a good configuration tool like DVE or Avia, or at the very least a THX disc, you will definitely see the difference. I've had mine for a few weeks now and it definitly works better with Quickshoot On with a digital source, despite what the manual says.

neilmcl said:
I would recommend getting away from using the default settings and use a good configuration tool like DVE or Avia, or at the very least a THX disc, you will definitely see the difference. I've had mine for a few weeks now and it definitly works better with Quickshoot On with a digital source, despite what the manual says.

Forgive my ignorance but what is DVE and Avia and where do i get it ?

A THX disc ? something like you get on the Finding Nemo dvd ?

Didn't see a big difference between quickshoot off/on, although i have changed the setup since.. i will test it again.

If i can improve the image further still using the above methods, thats great !

Reuben

Talking of Finding Nemo, i spotted the "halo effect" for the first time with this film, thought it was not a problem with this set, although the samsung was worse.. anyone know what causes it ? is this inherent to LCD in general or the fault of the film maybe, i know LCD's are ruthless :rolleyes:

Reuben

I'm going to buy the P50E next week! It looks great and I've read lots of good things about it around here, so here's hoping you're not all lying b***ards!

:smashin:

I'll be sure to bookmark this thread to try out the settings you've recommended, too!

Cheers!

3Dgeek said:
Forgive my ignorance but what is DVE and Avia and where do i get it ?

A THX disc ? something like you get on the Finding Nemo dvd ?

Didn't see a big difference between quickshoot off/on, although i have changed the setup since.. i will test it again.

If i can improve the image further still using the above methods, thats great !

Reuben
DVE or Digital Video Essentials to give it it's full name is a configuration DVD containing a suite of test cards and audio samples to optimise the settings of you're television equipment. It's well presented and has a step-by-step guide for setting up you're TV. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-7460684-1998255

Avia is something similar and the THX optimiser can be found bundled on some DVDs but be aware that the THX is used to setup the screen for that particular DVD movie only.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I like 4:3 TVs :( You can't turn 16:9 TVs on their side very easily to play shooters :eek:

3Dgeek said:
Talking of Finding Nemo, i spotted the "halo effect" for the first time with this film, thought it was not a problem with this set, although the samsung was worse.. anyone know what causes it ? is this inherent to LCD in general or the fault of the film maybe, i know LCD's are ruthless :rolleyes:

Reuben

are you talking about on the tv or the film? whats the "halo effect?" because if its the light boarder around the fish when they are against the blue sea then i have it on my CRT tv and pc CRT! its bloody annoying and ugly!

neilmcl said:
Nice contribution to the thread :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's not really relevant at all.

I would like to add however, that you can get wall-mounts for LCDs that allow you to rotate them 270º so if anything it's easier. Turning a CRT on its side has a high chance of damaging them, as they are only designed to support the screen from the bottom, not the sides. (also affects ventilation, as they are not designed to let heat out of the bottom)

Back on topic; glad you're liking your LCD. I'm thinking about picking up a Sharp LCD to replace my 32" Samsung, trying to decide between the 26" GD7E and 32" GD7E (titanium series) I like the idea of the P50 sets, as I'll only be watching broadcast HD when it becomes free (like freeview digital) but I'm a gamer, and all the next-generation consoles will be HD.

andrewfee said:
I like the idea of the P50 sets, as I'll only be watching broadcast HD when it becomes free (like freeview digital) but I'm a gamer, and all the next-generation consoles will be HD.
Difficult decision to make, I intend to get hold of an Xbox 360 so hopefully I won't be too dissappointed using it with the P50. :)

Thanks for the info Neil, btw i tried your settings and yeah its closer to the ideal, probably tweek it a bit more to my own preference.

JagoPlasma said:
are you talking about on the tv or the film? whats the "halo effect?" because if its the light boarder around the fish when they are against the blue sea then i have it on my CRT tv and pc CRT! its bloody annoying and ugly!

Then i guess its the movie.. also seen this effect in Starwars a bit, probably something to do with compositing, wouldn't expect this from Pixar though :rolleyes:

Reuben

Someone asked for a photo -
SharpP50E1.jpg

not a great shot, i have bad lighting in the room :rolleyes:

My new tv. I'm still a long way off having everything setup fully but I thought I'd give you a sneak peak. Oh and that is a flash reflection on the screen and not a fault :)

sharp32p50e.jpg

I know it's not relevant.
I was just saying because he said he had an old 4:3 TV like it was a bad thing ^_^'''
Don't worry, If you don't like it, don't read it and you'll be ok.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom