1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first LCD....advice if possible?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Smiffy 2, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi
    Just dipping my toes into the LCD waters, and after a little advice please.
    I currently have a Panasonic 28" Digital Freeview CRT which I have been reasonable happy with but "fancy a change"
    Requirements are for 32" and Freeview and don't really want to spend a fortune.
    I have read the rave reviews on the Panasonic TX32LXD500 and am drawn to this as I know the brand is usually very reliable.
    But I have also seen what I consider to be a good deal on a Phillips (model 32PF5520D) @ £985.00 delivered. The specification and "sales pitch" certainly makes it seem an attractive alternative.
    Never having owned a Phillips television before I was hoping for a little unbiased advice.
    Does anyone here already own one of these particular displays?
    Many thanks
    Rob

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Have you considered the JVC DS6 - Panny's sister company? Also, Sharp have GD7 and GA6 out this month (all being well) and I'm using the predecessor of the GD7, GD1 - and it's a very likeable set. I'd imagine some of their buy-in to Loewe will have rubbed off and the GD7 will be better again.

3. Danktuft

Danktuft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the Philips set as well. Saw it in Currys playing a DVD and it looked superb. However, I will be watching a lot of football via Sky, does anyone have any experience of that?

4. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    A salesman at my local branch of Richer Sounds showed me some common faults on the Philips LCD TVs they had on show. I was told that "Philips have good technology, but are not screwed together very well". I have heard the same message repeated from other HiFi shops.

A common gripe about Panasonic is that they have poor after-sales service. Sharp TVs have a good reputation for build quality and after-sales, but we are still awaiting feedback of their latest LCD TVs - GA6, GD7.

5. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The problem is they all look good when playing DVDs. But in the real world we all want them to look good watching the freeview or analogue (well apart from those with sky) telly but this is not so good with LCD just now. For instance my one looks fantastic when its hooked up via DVi and VGA to my pc but I didnt buy it as a pc monitor so I went out a got a huge aerial for the roof and the picture is poor (although still pretty good from the distance I watch it at) compared to my 6 year old phillips crt. So thinking it may just be my tv I went to Dixons and they have a LG 37inch on display which again they have hooked up to a pc running HDTV clips which look stunning to say the least. But pretending to be interested in the set I asked the friendly salesman to show me it hooked up to an aerial for which I got the reply "but sir I can assure you it looks just as good take my word for it" but i insisted just the same as I had to be sure before commiting 2 grand, so I got my way and low and behold a crap picture. After pointing this out he gave me the usual rubbish about to many feeds etc but the crt sets they had on display were far better for which he had no explanation. So to cut a long story short I think that untill our broadcasters starts to show programs in HDTV we will never get the best out of the LCD sets and that could be years.

6. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 37PF5520D which is the same model, just the next size up. I am very happy with it. It's performance on DVDs is outstanding but it also looks very good when showing NTL digital.

As for the football question, I too was worried about this having read much about motion blur. The truth is that this set has a TINY amount of motion blur on football that you can only see if you actually look for it. Just sit back and watch the game and it looks very good. I had a bunch of people round to watch a game on Prem Plus. Without exception, they commented on how good the picture was, they weren't looking for any blur so didn't see it.

Hope that helps.