My First Impressions........

• Thread starter Deleted member 63670
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 63670

Ok, set my 60gb US jobby up and all is well, after a bit of messing around yesterday and not being able to sign up due to the servers being overloaded all is well now. I like the Sony store stuff, not gonna do much with the backward compatibility stuff, just PS3 games and BR movies.

I have NFS Carbon and in all honesty its pants, only got it as it came with the package I bought, good for a few mins fun though, nothing special.

I downloaded GTHD demo and thought it was complete pants, although to be fair GT has never been my thing, i'll stick with PGR3 for my fill of this stuff.

Motorstorm demo, WOW. How good is this, gonna grab the full game asap, anyone know when its out in US, dont fancy a JAP copy.

RFOM, not bad, played it once before quickly but in all honesty after playing GOW alot recently then this aint much different.

F1 demo, loved it, for some reason this just agrees with me, I liked the handling and the overall way the game plays, nice.

As for the hardware itself, bit bigger than I thought it would be, although very very good looking, its not silent and anyone that says it is are lying, its silent until the fans come on and then it still quiter than my 360. I'm not one for moaning about noise anyway, I just turn up the 5.1 !!!
I like the layout on the dashboard, very easy and very configurable in terms of audio and display etc. I have mine set for 480p/720p/1080i and it displays 1080i in the dash but most games display at 720p, is this right? not that it matters a great deal.
I'm gonna try and install Linux at some point after Chrimbo, see if I can play with some emulators etc.

I got Talladega Nights BR with it and tbh its the first BR ive seen running and I thought it was very poor, ive been spoiled with HDDVD on my 360 for a few weeks now and they just seem sharper and more vibrant, maybe TN is just a poor transfer.

So, very happy with my Chrimbo pressie (even though I should have got it tomorrow!! ), cant wait for more good games.

720p on the games is normal with 1080i on the dash, TN is possibly the worst transfer on the format, give pearl harbour or black hawk down a try if you can find them:smashin:

One thing I forgot to comment about was the pad, its just crap. Its a 12 year old design and ergonomically flawed, the motion sensing is rubbish and the thing just feels like cheap plastic, theres no weight to it and it just feels so cheap.

Real shame as the rest of the system is great, Sony should have spent some money totally reworking the pad into something completely different, MS did wonders with their pads on the 360 (best ever pads IMO), you would have thought Sony would have done the same. As soon as a good 3rd party pad arrives then i'll ditch the Sixaxis.

It seems to me that it was thrown together as a quick afterthought after seeing what Ninty were upto.

One thing I forgot to comment about was the pad, its just crap. Its a 12 year old design and ergonomically flawed, the motion sensing is rubbish and the thing just feels like cheap plastic, theres no weight to it and it just feels so cheap.

Real shame as the rest of the system is great, Sony should have spent some money totally reworking the pad into something completely different, MS did wonders with their pads on the 360 (best ever pads IMO), you would have thought Sony would have done the same. As soon as a good 3rd party pad arrives then i'll ditch the Sixaxis.

It seems to me that it was thrown together as a quick afterthought after seeing what Ninty were upto.

All down to opinions to be honest, but I really like the light weight of it. Imagine trying to swing around something much heavier? Be honest, your pants with the controller..... :)

All down to opinions to be honest, but I really like the light weight of it. Imagine trying to swing around something much heavier? Be honest, your pants with the controller..... :)

I think its more down to the fact i've had my Wii for nearly 3 weeks now and that is proper motion stuff, the sixaxis is nothing compared to the wii remote. Like I said it was rushed out quickly by Sony to try and look innovative but they got it horribly wrong, this I think is the reason they kept with the original design of the pad, all the hard work is already done and all they had to do was sort out tilt stuff.

I'd have much prefered a more comfy pad with rumble, none of this otehr rubbish.

Such a shame as the ps3 itself is awsome.

rubbish.

Such a shame as the ps3 itself is awsome.

Im not being funny but exactly which bit of the PS3 is awesome? because from your review you seem to say its all either 'pants' or not as good as the 360.

From what i heard, SONY had lost it's court case to keep the rumble feature in the pads so had to come up with something very quickly. I think they had 6 weeks to come up with a pad to show off a Tokyo Games Show.

Even developers didn't know about the new pad until it was announced

I must admit the pad is pretty poor, they should have just paid out and put rumble in as tbh i'm missing the feature! If MS + Nintendo can pay to have rumble in why the hell can't Sony!

And the L2/R2 buttons are pretty poor too it has to be said.

From what i heard, SONY had lost it's court case to keep the rumble feature in the pads so had to come up with something very quickly. I think they had 6 weeks to come up with a pad to show off a Tokyo Games Show.

Even developers didn't know about the new pad until it was announced

They haven't lost the official case, but like many "IP" cases in the US, they go through preliminary hearings [effectively practice cases] - each side testing their arguments in front of "12 men of true" It is probably that the case hasn't been made final that prohibited Sony from including the rumble. Had they actually lost, they would have paid Immersion the required royalties for it. My company is the same situation where we are testing in the US courts an IP battle. Lawyers [ours at least], no matter how confident you are of overall success, recommend not increasing your exposure - A judges derived damage / royalty payment is often higher than those negotiated out of court.

Im not being funny but exactly which bit of the PS3 is awesome? because from your review you seem to say its all either 'pants' or not as good as the 360.

IBecause I own all 3 consoles now I am in a good position to test all 3 against each other, my comments dont say everything is pants, just the pad and some demos, if I remember correctly the 360 had poor games and demos (bar a few) for ages and then this summer it all took off for the 360, its just a matter of time before it happens with the ps3 too, there will be awsome games arriving. The machine itself is just the dogs, well made and looks great, i'm looking forward to tinkering around with Linux soon.

Like I said theonly bad bits right now are the awful pad and some suspect demos, although if we get moer stuff like Motorstorm then i'll be well happy.

And my opening post is my first impressions, not a review.

Impressed witht the over all set up. It's nice but registering online was a absolute pain. The game I have Resistance its good but in gameplay and graphics it pales to Gears of War. GTHD is not a patch on PGR but in all fairness GTHD is a demo. Motorstorm looks and play's brilliantly it looks a real star. Blu-ray is definately gorgeous on my TV but I have not been able to compare it to HDDVD. Overall I was'nt expected to blow my socks off but hopefully in the future it will prove to be a good aquisistion.

Impressed witht the over all set up. It's nice but registering online was a absolute pain. The game I have Resistance its good but in gameplay and graphics it pales to Gears of War. GTHD is not a patch on PGR but in all fairness GTHD is a demo. Motorstorm looks and play's brilliantly it looks a real star. Blu-ray is definately gorgeous on my TV but I have not been able to compare it to HDDVD. Overall I was'nt expected to blow my socks off but hopefully in the future it will prove to be a good aquisistion.

Registering online was extremely easy for me, five minutes

Resistance is fantastic, you couldn't possibly have played enough of it to make any kind of judgement

GT HD looks far better than PGR3, a game which i sold after one hour of play, boring as ****, give me burnout any day

Blu-ray can't really be compared to HD DVD because each have their fair share of decent and crappy titles, depends on the transfer.

Maybe you should sell it.

I personally like the Playstation controller and as it has been around for well over a decade now what else can prove it's ability, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Resistance is fantastic, you couldn't possibly have played enough of it to make any kind of judgement

GT HD looks far better than PGR3, a game which i sold after one hour of play, boring as ****, give me burnout any day

Blu-ray can't really be compared to HD DVD because each have their fair share of decent and crappy titles, depends on the transfer.

Maybe you should sell it.

These match me sentiments entirely. I really wonder what people look for in a game. GT is another class to PGR3, Resistance is easily the equal to GOW [both excellent games - period].

JCX what are you actually watching it on?

You must be a dab hand at using the on screen keyboard or must have got a USB keyboard to work. I had all the relevant information correct but using the on screen keyboard was a real pain and mu USB keyboard wasn't even recognized.

Also had no trouble signing-up to US & HK stores. I like the controller but also like the 360 one.

Also had no trouble signing-up to US & HK stores. I like the controller but also like the 360 one.

Is there any real point in signing up to both the US and HK stores ? Is any of the content different at the moment ? I guess they may have different stuff in the future. How do you get an HK address by the way ?

Is there any real point in signing up to both the US and HK stores ? Is any of the content different at the moment ? I guess they may have different stuff in the future. How do you get an HK address by the way ?

Different demos and blu-ray trailers? RR7 for instance.

Make up absolutely anything for a HK address, the worlds your lobster.

I'm not giving the PS3 a bad review. I acknowledge that the graphics in GTHD are as good as PGR3 if not better but for gameplay PGR3 there is no contest. Gears of War is the best looking game I've seen so far. These are 1st generation PS3 titles and the graphics will get better. The Xbox 360 at time of launch was nothing to write home about.

Different demos and blu-ray trailers? RR7 for instance.

Make up absolutely anything for a HK address, the worlds your lobster.

Thanks. I'll try that later.

These match me sentiments entirely. I really wonder what people look for in a game. GT is another class to PGR3, Resistance is easily the equal to GOW [both excellent games - period].

JCX what are you actually watching it on?

GT is another class? In what sense? I heard it doesn't look great in-game and it's nothing more than an offline demo of a game that will never happen. PGR3 is over a year old btw.

Resistance - from what I've read - is a very competent FPS indeed but that's the first time I've read Resistance = GoW. Are you sure?

I think some folk were expecting PS3 games to look better in the way Xbox games looked better than PS2 games. That definitely isn't happeneing, which I think will surprise a lot of people.

That's my take. Maybe by March I'll think differently, but the release schedule doesn't look great PS3-wise. Motorstorm and VF5. Anything else in the first six months of 2007?

I'm not debating that the release schedule will get better. It's just my oppinion and thats that. BTW Motorstorm demo is excellent and I can tell all ready I will buy that game.

The thing is this time last year people were awe inspired by the 360 launch games and graphics. The main reason for this was that it was the first of the next gen consoles and obviously everyone was comparing it to the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube. A year on and the PS3 is released and people immediately compare it to the 360. Obviously the comparision between the 360 and PS3 is not going to be as dramatic as it was between the 360 and the last gen consoles.

Not to mention the 360 is already on it's second generation games like GOW and Rainbow Six Las Vegas which inevitably are going to look better then first generation PS3 launch games. I think it's very unfair at this point in time to compare the 360 and PS3. As always it will take time for the PS3 to show it's true potential and that is when a we can make a legitmate comparision between it and the 360.

I'm not giving the PS3 a bad review. I acknowledge that the graphics in GTHD are as good as PGR3 if not better but for gameplay PGR3 there is no contest. Gears of War is the best looking game I've seen so far. These are 1st generation PS3 titles and the graphics will get better. The Xbox 360 at time of launch was nothing to write home about.

Agree here, having played GTHD and although it not being my thing its just not as good as PGR3, I want to like GT but I just cant, the graphics are OK but nothing special, now PGR3 as someone stated is over a year old now and that to me was truly breathtaking upon first playing it, a bit like now with the Motorstorm demo, it really is a great game. Also GOW is far better than RFOM, it just plays and looks better, it may not have a storyline to compete with RFOM but that doesnt really matter.

I think people need to stop defending the ps3, these are 1st gen ps3 titles and i've no doubt the games will get much better,

Exactly GTHD is just not as breath taking as PGR3 was. I loved GT1 but it's all been down hill since then. We need to remember this is 1st generation PS3 games we will wait to see what Square-enix and Konami can pull off before we judge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom