My First HTPC.....

mc6701

Hi all,

Not sure if there is already a thread for this type of post........so Admin please move me if you want.

Been using AV forums now for a few years and found it very helpful so instead of asking a question this time thought i would post some information and pictures of what i have been doing........

So i have wanted to build a HTPC for a while now but didnt have the budget to build an all singing and dancing system.

My first issue was the case and when i found on ebay a dell slimline case for £12 brand new, yes it not the best looking of case but it's just the right size for what i need.......and when you can buy HTPC case's at over £500 just for the case!!! (Remember i have a small budget and the case can be replaced later down the line)

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

Had to cut out the back panel so the Mobo would fit in.......thought that was going to be a 5 min job but took me 1.5 to 2 hours :mad:

DSC00138.jpg

The hardware i used was as follows.....

Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
AMD Dual Core Athlon 64 4850e 2.5GHz
Geil Black Dragon PC2-6400 800Mhz 4GB (2GB to start the Santa brought me another 2GB for Xmas:smashin:)
Samsung Spin Point F1 SATAII 320GB 16Mb Cache Hard Drive
Samsung Lightscribe S223Q - 22x DVD+/-/RW - 8x Dual Layer
Scythe Shuriken Low Profile CPU Cooler (which santa delivered on Xmas Day:smashin:)

All that lot cost me just over £200 :thumbsup:

As and when my bonuses pay out at work i will add/upgrade a few bits........

Will be getting a TV tuner card possibly a FreeSat one and will change the dvd drive for a BluRay one and then the case upgrade!!.

DSC00112.jpg

Anyway all seems to work so far.......i have got alot of my dvd's ripped on to a Synology DS108J nas unit which has a 1TB hdd in it and is hard wired to HTPC via a gigabit network switch and wireless router as this also services my desktop and laptop. I have done the reg hack to make Media centre see the TS files and play them. I have also done the MKV/MKA reg hack and installed FFDShow and Haali Media Splitter so that Media centre will play BluRay rips as i have a few of them also.

The system is connected to a Pioneer 427xd plasma and for sound it's connected to a Sony STR-DB930 and a set of Mission Cinema 7 Speaker. The dvd/blurays rips all play in 5.1 sound :thumbsup:

System runs nice and quite after replacing the side vent fan for a GELID Silent PWM fan and it's temps seem ok running at 30ish c idle 35ish while watching a film and about 42ish when encoding/rippin dvds.

Once i have upgraded the DVD to a BluRay will replace the amp to something with 7.1 True HD but that will be xmas pressy time again :thumbsdow

DSC00109.jpg
DSC00119.jpg
DSC00122.jpg

And for watching films at night i bought from the USA a proper backlight......back then the £ was alot stronger against the $ so didn't cost that much and it does make a big difference.

The pictures don't do it justice..............:mad:

DSC001012.jpg

DSC001072.jpg

Thanks for for looking at my post and if i can help anyone please ask and if there is anyone out there who wants to give me any advise or sugestions please do.

Mark:thumbsup:

devo

Looks good. Case looks fine (especially for 12 quid) and as you say, it can always be upgraded later. What are you using to control it at the moment?

mc6701

At the mo i am using a full size wireless keyboard and mouse with a VMC x10 remote......this is not ideal sitting on the floor in front of the TV as the mouse doesnt work from the sofa :thumbsdow

But it's my birthday shortly and i have a Logitech Dinovo Mini on order:smashin:

mc6701

Got my Logitech dinovo mini which works perfectly straight out of the box........

Just a quick question......the dinovo mini uses a bluetooth connection but can i use the supplied bluetooth usb adaptor to connect any other blurtooth devices???

Can't seem to find anything in control panel that refers to bluetooth???

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom