My First Home Cinema - Help me Choose

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Indiana Jones, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    At the moment I have my PS3 and EP-30 connected to my brothers wondefull Amp and speaker setup but he is going soon so unless I want to go back to enjoying films in stereo through the TV I need to get at system.

Now I dont know anything at all about these things but I am looking for a system which can handle at least 2 optical inputs, can give me 5.1 (not worried about HD audio at the moment) and if possible be wireless but not essential.

Please my friends, recommend away :smashin:

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Bump

3. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Right, how about the new Sony models: HTSF2000 HTSS2000 (Satellite speaker version) AKA HTSF1200 (European version of the same model)

There pretty difficult to get your hands on at the moment, I believe most retailers are getting them in at the end of this month/ beginning of Feb. I already have mine due to the 1200's availability in the UK if it's bought as the HTD870RSF Home theatre package (Includes the Sony RDRHX870 DVD/ HDD 1080p player plus the 1200 amp)

Take a look at my review HERE
    Have a look at the pics and you will see it has 2 optical inputs + 3 HDMI-in 1 out. So all the connectivity you need.

Find information on release dates see HERE

4. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Well I've ordered the Sony HT-SS1100 Home Theatre System for £222 from Amazon, should be coming tomorrow. It's a 6 speaker system (Stereo, DPL II, DD5.1 and DTS only) but it has 2 optical in and 1 co-axial plus 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out. It isn't wireless though but it seems to have received positive feedback in the dedicated thread in this section, which is the main reason I opted for it.

5. jirkau

jirkau
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny thing, where i live (Czech Republic) HTSF2000 is right now on sale from sony official distributors for nearly the same as HTSF1200 (12800 CZK, around 490EUR).
    The only bad thing is that satellite speakers (HTSS200/HTSS1200) model is not distributed to this market, damn.

6. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    It would seem those satellite speakers are proving to be quite elusive everywhere except the U.S. What are Sony up to?? :suicide:

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Thanks for the input people, should have mentioned I dont want to spend much more than £200

Sony seem to be a good name when it comes to home cinema's so did abit of searching and found the Sony HT-DDW890 which seems to do everything I need, has 2 optical inputs, isnt too expensive and has 2 HDMI inputs so I can retire my HDMI switcher (PS3 & EP-30 connected to Amp with 360 connected direct to TV)

8. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have the Sony HT-DDW890 and its a very good system.

9. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I have this, but it will be replaced by the 1200/2000 soon, so is now becoming obsolete, or will soon be very cheap.