My First Hi-Fi Setup... Modern/Vintage Contrast

samini

Novice Member
After various help on the forum, I finally got my act together and purchased some pre-christmas treats...! Was initially looking at spending around 1k and purchasing separates, after recommendation on here... I took a fancy towards the Marantz CR603 and its flexibility/connectivity with the rest of my Apple products swayed me.

To say that I'm impressed by this little box of magic is an understatement, I'm blown away by it. Its currently hooked up to my iMac via both Digital Optical Out and the system is streamed wireless by my other devices via AirPlay. iPad, iPod, Mac Book etc... even has napster integrated which is pretty cool.

I ended up going for the M/A BX2's which again I'm really happy with, EQ is well rounded with nice punchy notes.

My setup is as follows:

- Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers
- Cambridge Audio Ultra 100 Cabling
- Marantz M-CR603
- iMac/iPad/iPod Source and Controlled via AirPlay
- Mission Stands (soon to be filled with atabites)

All of the modern technology provides an interesting contrast against my 1960's styled bedroom.

Some pictures:

My Vintage Bedroom by Stickars, on Flickr

My Vintage/Retro Bedroom & its new Hi-Fi Setup by Stickars, on Flickr

Full Shot (Nearly!) of my Vintage/Retro Bedroom by Stickars, on Flickr

Some of my Vinyls by Stickars, on Flickr

Monitor Audio BX2 - Amazing! by Stickars, on Flickr

Feedback appreciated

(Yes, I know the speakers are upside down... over excited installation + I'm a donkey!)

** UPDATE ** 22nd DECEMBER **

I've got the bug.

Over Christmas I'm going to be looking at a few bits to add to the room, a drop down 90" screen and 1080p HD Projector. I saw some brilliant Jamo floorstanders today for a good price, thinking about using those as fronts and use the M/A as rears if I can figure a way to lay it all out.

The system is performing extremely well, the speakers are now the right way around (doh!) currently got some Fun Loving Criminals playing via the Digital Optical Cable - FLAC format..... superb! The Marantz is fully recommended, blown away by this thing and its perfect power for the size of the room.

Last edited:

knight2000uk

Novice Member
Looks good, the only off putting thing is knowing that the arse is still on the cow :laugh::rotfl:

samini

Novice Member
She used to be a right smelly cow, shake n' vac resolved that.

samini

Novice Member
It is longer, I'm short of cable ties so going to have a crack at tidying the whole lot up later this evening. Might have a play around with the speaker placement, any tips on where is best?

samini

Novice Member
LOL, I mentioned that in the OT.

Another member kindly pointed it out, down to over excited (newb) installation. All sorted now and tidied up the cables : - )

samini

Novice Member
Cheers, yeah they are killer speakers the MA's... one can only imagine how good the RX's sound in comparison, perhaps next year!

samini

Novice Member
** UPDATE ** 22nd DECEMBER **

I've got the bug.

Over Christmas I'm going to be looking at a few bits to add to the room, a drop down 90" screen and 1080p HD Projector. I saw some brilliant Jamo floorstanders today for a good price, thinking about using those as fronts and use the M/A as rears if I can figure a way to lay it all out.

The system is performing extremely well, the speakers are now the right way around (doh!) currently got some Fun Loving Criminals playing via the Digital Optical Cable - FLAC format..... superb! The Marantz is fully recommended, blown away by this thing and its perfect power for the size of the room.

samini

Novice Member
**PROJECTOR UPDATE** ADVISE NEEDED **

I have been doing a little bit of research in to projectors and my options, I was initially looking at 1080p only, in particular the BenQ W1000+ (£750) however I stumbled across this little deal on eBay and boy doesn't it look like a good one.

Its the Optoma HD600-LV - 720p (which would do for my needs!), you get a drop down screen which is something I was going to buy anyway and a mount (which I probably wouldn't use though!). Do you have any experience with the Optoma projector and feedback, the reviews look great online... was just going to see what you guys thought?

Looks like a great deal for the price - Optoma HD600X 720P HDMI Projector WXGA Pull Down Screen & Ceiling Mount Bundle | eBay

Cheers!

samini

Novice Member
Well, I've just ordered the above... can't wait.

When I had my old projector, I had it on my back wall on a TV bracket type thing and it killed me having the wires dangling around and looking messy all the time. I'm going to get a full width shelf and run the cables in some trunking right in to the corner where it isn't visible.

The projector will be connected to a Mede8er MED500X for HD films etc, XBOX 360 and a Freesat Recorder box (haven't got sky in my room, doh!)

My Marantz still has some outs available, and I was thinking about buying a couple of small, low power tweeters at the rear to give the surround effect.. I know its now 'proper' so to speak, but do you think it would be worthwhile?

samini

Novice Member
Brilliant, the gear has landed.

Going to have my joiner put the screen up tomorrow afternoon. I can't get over how heavy the pj screen is, the house in which we live was built circa 1820 so I have a feeling the joists may need some reenforcement!

Just reiterating the above, do you think it would be worthwhile to run a couple of small tweeters behind the seating position?

samini

Novice Member
Over-the-moon. Its all up and come together nicely, just in time for a good old NYE drinking session with COD.

Will get some pictures of the complete(for now) set-up soon. My Mede8er will be arriving at the start of Jan and that will fix the gap on my shelf....

I also bought a new XBOX 360 last night which is black and goes well with the rest of the equipment.

Happy New Year everybody!

POSTal6

Novice Member
nice setup
speakers, comp-stand and fur cow looks very cool

samini

Novice Member
Thanks, the furniture is from all sorts of places really.

House clearances, charity shops, reclamation yards, eBay etc... The desk is a 1960s G Plan unit, from the fresco range, it works brilliantly will the set up.

I will post some more photographs later on with the projector and screen in place, after I have recovered from last night that is!!

swiss_tony

Novice Member
Where did you buy the hide from?

samini

Novice Member
It was from eBay :)

donkamio

Novice Member
that room looks awesome. great place to chill. loving the equipment and choice of vintage furniture (with well selected plops of colour). alaways good to see a stack of vinyl too but i don't see a record player?

samini

Novice Member
They are the fruits of my Bedroom DJ'ing as a youth. Early 90's Happy Hardcore...!

I do have a Technics 1210 MK2 still under the bed, I'm going to look at something slightly smaller though if possible to place on top of the Marantz.

samini

Novice Member
Would love a clever way to box it all in without having it look out of place.

Any ideas welcomed :)

Sam

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage