1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first HCPC! Looking at Evesham MediaStation

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by TheBoingoBandit, Feb 2, 2004.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I desperately need a new PC (with broadband) but would also like to get an LCD projector/home cinema and music jukebox system.

As I'm looking to move into a studio flat this year, space most likely will be at a premium.

Rather than get Hi-Fi/AV seperates, I think that a HCPC with Windows Media Centre would be ideal instead for my situation and I've come across this system from Evesham:

http://www.evesham.com/PCs/Info.asp?e=61E03EE2-18C4-41B0-A2DC-59031E9E6537

3.0MHz Pentium 4
    1GB RAM
    200GB hard disk
    Epson EMP-TW10 widescreen LCD projector (bargain at an extra £500 methinks! )
    Creative Inspire P580 surround sound speakers (although I'd likely ditch these and get a better system such as the Aego P5)
    LG DVD writer
    Broadband card

All this lot should come to a total of about £2350 (or about £2600 if I pay monthly - which I would do).

Any comments on getting the above system?

Before you ask, no I do not and cannot build my own system.
    Plus Evesham is a reputable dealer (to my knowledge) and I'd rather spend more money and buy from a company more likely to give good service and stick around.

Any comments welcome! :)

(Sticking with the rules of the forum, if you do have any bad opinion of Evesham, best to eMail me privately at johnmason@postmaster.co.uk )

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    As an HCPC, it doesn't suck!

If it were me, I may consider investing more in the AV equipment (AV receiver and speakers), and less on the PC - I'd try to find/build a cheaper HCPC. In my opinion, a PC won't beat a decent separate amp and speakers for audio (ie. audio being fed from the HCPC to the amp via spdif connection for decoding).

Just a thought.

3. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I would try someone like Uvem.com as they will build a HTPC specific to your needs and budget, you would then be able to look at spending out on better speakers/projector - or buy secondhand speakers/projector from these forums.

Steve

4. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd agree with the above.

The PC spec is overkill for a HTPC. You are paying for raw processing power that you just don't need.

Speak with a company that will be happy to build you a more conservative unit (at a better price). Uvem or Kustom will both be able to talk you through your requirements.

You'll then have more cash to spend on a decent AV front end.

Remember, Evesham may be happy to sell you an out-of-the-box setup, but I suspect you'll find their technical support lacking in an area which is a deviation from their core business.

Big A