my first gamecube an my impressions

SILVERBACK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
just bought a cube tonight an i have to say i am very very happy with it i got it from toys r us(terrible slow service) for 200quid.in the pack i got mario,crash bandicoot,tony hawkes3,zoocube and crazy taxi an a official memory card.i kept mario an swapped the rest for resident evil an rogue leader an a rgb scart cable.first impressions opening the box was the weight quite heavy for such a little piece of kit :) next up was the power lead jesus christ could they make it any bigger.i havent had console or comp with a power pack since i was an amiga owner surely nintendo could have done better.the pad is very comfy an thats gonna come in handy for mario lol :) the graphics are nothing short of breath taking they really are a notch up from the ps2 in my opinion especially mario an resi.on the whole im well impressed with it cute an powerfull would have been nice to have a cd tray though instead of the flip lid thing.but i suppose they had to keep the price down to 130 you have to cut costs some where :)

The flip lid isn't that bad because if worst comes to worst... The spring could loose its effectiveness. For a DVD tray mechanical problems could arise after years of use... My PS2 tray is grinding away everytime it opens and closes.

Nice to see that you are happy with the videogames though. Best to get Eternal Darkness soon and plug it into a Pro Logic II capable amp ^_^

As for the power supply... It is heafty but then the GC only uses 39W of power compared to 100W-120W of the Xbox.

The only thing the GC needs now is Pro Evolution 2... ^_-

Tis coming soon!

Congrats on the GC purchase, a mighty console it is. Also take a peek at pikmin and SMB on rental, both nice little games. If you are a big multiplayer freak then also try out Beachspikers, great body's and bikini's playing volleyball.

I also would like to see Suikoden III on there, it has just been released by Konami on PS2 and looks absolutely superb. I am guessing it is an exclusive as I cannot find it listed anywhere for GC. Grrrrrrr, no decent RPGS yet, almost makes me want to get my PS2 back seen as it is my fave genre.

Only hope that SWG for the PC can satisfy me :p

:D
Nice to hear a change of tune!

Anyone remember this...?
lets face facts nintendo make kids games end of story.an have you seen the cube pad lol looks like an feels like a cheap 3rd party pad

Or this...?
i have to say i dont think nintendo have go it right at all.

It's all here.

People with long memories are the worst, aren't they?

Funny thing is I bought an Xbox and I still haven't got a Cube!

i know lol strange how things work out aint it lol theproblem for me is the gamecube has released better games since my comments than the xbox.i also like the feel of the controller after a bit of use but in my opnion the ps2 pad is still the one to beat :) lol.anyway im off to enjoy my rogue leader resi an mario :) fantatstic.also how good is this eternal darkness game an what is it all about,whats the closest game to it in terms of gameplay story etc just to give me some kinda info.thanks in advance lads an i might just get an xbox aswell just to make sure i dont get anymore skeletons out the closet lechacal lmao.oh an neo blade id love to see pro evo2 on the cube i read some where it was defo gonna happen then i read konami will never release on the cube :( oh well just stick with my ps2 :)

I read that it was going to happen sometime in March as well but I don't want to tempt fate.. Esp with Pro Evolution 2!

lol Nice post there lechacal ^_^ IMO having all consoles is the best way to enjoy gaming on the largest possible scale but my Xbox is just sitting there atm until I get a certain piece of silicon. JSR:F is still fun though much like the DC version of yesteryear.

I would LOVE Suikoden III to be out on the Gamecube.. But it won't happen. Konami are not overly supportive of the Gamecube since they have put all of their eggs into Sony's camp. Last I've heard is that in 6 months time Suikoden III will be on the Xbox and from that a new alliance of Konami and Microsoft will be formed. In a way I think Konami wants to be what Square is to Sony... But we will have to wait and see about that alliance.

Other RPGs like Star Ocean III, Wild Arms III, XenoSaga, Unlimited Saga etc won't make it on the Gamecube anytime soon sadly... The only other hope is some titles from Enix or GameArts. Camelot has RPGs lined up for the GameCube as does the newly founded (forgot the name ^_^) that has ex-programmers and staff from Enix - Dedicated to make RPGs for the GBA and GC. Don't forget Square as well with FF:CC.

The RPG scene on the GC is very slim indeed but come Feb 2003 I will have a certain Zelda title to pass the time... ^_^

Eternal Darkness - Think part 3D action, chunk of RPG and puzzle with the psychological aspects of Silent Hill and shocks of Resident Evil and more... Mix them up with a superb Pro Logic II audio track and you will have some idea of the gameplay. ^_^

In fact.. I don't want to describe this game further lol Just go buy it or at least rent the game. Go on... Shoo <g>

I am looking forward to Zelda, but I am a numbers man myself. Nothing I like better than looking at character stats and collecting/making items.

Perhaps I should grow a beard :p

Never really got on with the N64 Zelda, felt it was too easy and childlike. I am hoping they beef up the current Zelda, athough I get the feeling it will be more of the same.

Will most probably look at Skie of Arcadia, although I played the DC version a lot.

I just shaved my beard off >_< It just.. Feels odd so I'll probably grow it back. Back on topic...

The N64 Zelda: OOT is still ranked IMO as one of the best videogames made of this generation and I don't use this tag lightly. However I do agree that it was easy and the textures were uber low res. I like either RPGs really... Action RPGs like Zelda, Seiken Densetsu, Terranigma etc or stats like FF, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, Xeno...

Skies of Arcadia isn't too bad although the voice acting was a bit... camp. Made my sister laugh anyway ^_^ I'm just holding out for a possible Mario RPG by Camelot and Golden Sun. I don't think Square will take up Mario RPG again but they have more than FF:CC coming out for the GC and GBA.

Can't forget about Harvest Moon as well on the GC ^_^ I've probably plugged this title to death now but it is a very fun title to play and it does consume your life if you let it. Worth trying out Sinzer if you have a PSX. Most turn based RPGs will be on the PS2 though... Which is why I'm looking forward to 2003 ^_^ Should be RPG heaven.

BTW Silverback have a look at this forum for more Eternal Darkness impressions

cheers neo just had a look at your link but there seemed to be a few hints of spoilers so i didnt read thurther lol.just bought GTA vice city an with having the 3 cube games im gonna be very busy but i wiil take your advice an buy eternal when im dome with the rest :)

Hehe yeah there are a few spoilers there.. My bad for not pointing that out beforehand >_< I think its a decent game anyway which should be on everyones GC gaming list. Just got my Wavebird today as well ^_^ Everything is rolling in since its the pre-order month where everything seems to come into stock so I'm just going to be a poor (yet happy) lil' gamer for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom