My first experience with TV AV systems - suggestions and help?

boj27

Novice Member
Hi guys,

so I’ve recently moved into my first home. I have a large living room (6m by 4m) with the tv being 3.2m away from the sofa, thus have opted for an LG CX77 inch.

I’ve never built a sound system before so it’s all totally new to me.

ive done some light digging - if I want bang for buck, the Qacoustic 3050i cinema pack gets raving reviews - can anyone recommend these?

I don’t know if I should go for a 7.1 surround sound system, or a 5.1 or even if soundbars these days are worth it for simplicity and just generally being easier to live with?

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! Thanks!

gibbsy

To use separate speakers you will also need an AV amp. These can run from around £400 to £4000. For the QA system then I suggest a starting point of the Denon AVR X2700. Very easy to set up and use for a first timer. At this end of the market you will be limited to a seven speaker set up either as a 7.1 or 5.1.2 for Atmos.

Soundbars have their own processors and amplification onboard. Nowhere near as good as a speaker set up providing that speaker set up is correctly placed.

boj27

Novice Member
To use separate speakers you will also need an AV amp. These can run from around £400 to £4000. For the QA system then I suggest a starting point of the Denon AVR X2700. Very easy to set up and use for a first timer. At this end of the market you will be limited to a seven speaker set up either as a 7.1 or 5.1.2 for Atmos.

Soundbars have their own processors and amplification onboard. Nowhere near as good as a speaker set up providing that speaker set up is correctly placed.

thanks! So it looks like Pete Tyson has an offer on at the moment - Denon AVR x2700h + a q12 sub upgrade + the 3050i QA cinema package.

would you recommend adding 2 ceiling speakers to the setup to enable Dolby Atmos support? If so. Can you recommend a set of 2 speakers? :)

gibbsy

I would look at the KEF series. I've not got ceiling speakers myself and have no really looked into them but I do now the KEF range is highly regarded. I use KEF upfiring speakers and have had them in place for over six years now. My wife wouldn't let me anywhere near the ceiling to makes holes, ham fisted doesn't even start to describe me.

Your placement for those speakers should be roughly above where your knees will be when seated at the MLP. They should also be in line with the front speakers. On the Denon they will need to be connected to the rear surround binding posts. Configuration within the Denon should be TM (Top Middle).

Dobbyisfree

Upfirers, there's not much in the way of reviews or comparisons that I can find anywhere. @gibbsy did you choose the KEF ones after comparing with anything else? If so, how did they compare? Neither of their models are cheap! I'm trying to find a subjective or measured analysis that talks about the different models, ranging from your (looks cheapest) Monoprice Premium or Eltax and your Elacs but moving up the cost and seeing if it makes any difference...

gibbsy

Upfirers, there's not much in the way of reviews or comparisons that I can find anywhere. @gibbsy did you choose the KEF ones after comparing with anything else? If so, how did they compare? Neither of their models are cheap! I'm trying to find a subjective or measured analysis that talks about the different models, ranging from your (looks cheapest) Monoprice Premium or Eltax and your Elacs but moving up the cost and seeing if it makes any difference...
No. I was an early adopter of upfiring speakers when the R50s first hit the market. I already had KEF R speakers all round and so it made sense. At the time reviews were glowing about the KEFs and the new KEF R8a are still considered to be the best of the upfiring models but very expensive.

169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

Dobbyisfree

Thank you Gibbsy and thanks for the picture too, sorry boj27 for hijacking your post.
Would be great if you guys could be loaned equipment to compare and trial, e.g. if you had some Monoprice (not the Premium but the) THX Atmos 365-T for a days or two... you could try them comparing to fronts and front Atmos or as surrounds etc, giving a very valuable view to all on the forums for either films or music.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Plenty of 'subjective' views of various loudspeakers/loudspeaker systems in a particular room with a particular set of ancillary kit - pretty much no chance than any form of 'measured analysis' of the speakers will give you any clue as to how they will sound to you in your room.

'Group' comparisons are a big undertaking and many manufacturers are not keen on them - neither I would say should anyone as I have heard plenty of loudspeakers which 'shined' in a group test and sounded horrible once you came to use them day to day.

How much are you happy spending on the AVR + Loudspeaker system and how much work are you happy to take on to 'install' the Loudspeaker system?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom