1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spib, Oct 17, 2004.

1. spib

spib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm in the market for a DVD recorder and I'm a bit lost. Most of my recordings come from Sky - I watch them within a week and then tape over. For this reason I need a flexible recording format which allows me to delete items and rerecord as neccessary.

In addition to this, I have some old VHS recordings which I want to convert to DVD for archiving purposes and these should be compatible with other DVD players as far as possible.

Also, is it possible to record films from Sky Movies?

Any advice on formats and/or specific machines would be greatly received

My budget is a maximum of £300

Cheers

James

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you want to actually archive any of your recordings from sky to disc? If you say you just wipe over them, the simple solution is sky+.

If you want a dvd recorder then stretch the budget a little and go for one with an onboard HDD. There is a thread on here for the Tosh XS32 for £299; other than that cheapest I have seen it for is £359.

Finally, do not expect the quality of your vhs recordings to improve when you record them to dvd, they will not.

3. spib

spib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the reply Bob.

I want to archive the recordings from Sky Movies, other than that I will just delete them after I have watched them.

I understand that the quality from VHS to DVD won't improve, I'll only be doing this for home movies which cannot be rerecorded.

The XS32 seems like a great player but I can't stretch to that amount of money. What would be my best bet from a DVD-only standpoint? I may well get Sky+ as well at a later date if I decide I need HDD recording.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well as I said earlier the XS32 is available for 299 find the link on one of the threads on here. I think it is called is it worth it ...?

if not the panasonic E55 can be bought very cheaply now.

If you only intend recording films from sky movies then editing isn't really an issue. Unless you get a macrovision disabling cable you will not be able to record films from ppv

try kelkoo to find the cheapest E55 but you are talking sub £200

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XS32 for 299

E55

by the way you can not record the DD5.1 on some sky movie channels, no current dvdr will do that

6. spib

spib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That E55 link seems to be invalid, what should it be pointing at?

Also from reading other threads, that XS32 deal sounds a little too good to be true?

7. ST722

ST722

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0