My first day with an Toshiba XA1

addicott

Novice Member
OK so I am starting a new thread and lots of people have given their views but I am connecting in multiple ways via a DVDO scaler into a SD plasma and an HD projector. So I thought I would make a few comments. Oh and I am comparing an SD DVD with a HD-DVD But the SD DVD was played back using my HTPC running TheaterTek with FFDShow.

So This is how I am connecting up..

Video
HD-DVD HDMI to DVI converter connected to a 3 way DVI switch (on input 2) and out to my Infocus 7200 PJ.
HTPC (on input 3) of the DVI switch.
SKY HD HDMI to DVI converter (on input 1) of the 3 way switch.
HD-DVD component out to component 1 on the DVD HD+ scaler (basically this is used as a switch with the SKY HD on component 2.
Audio
Toslink to a multi way toslink switch for all the above. Obviously the output from the toslink audio switch is routed to the Aux in on the amp. I will not go into why it's this way. But I simply have to much stuff :D

Output from HD-DVD and SKY HD set to 1080i
The scaler runs in pass through mode for the component inputs as that is the way it is meant to work. I am just using the DVI output of the scaler to match the 1280X720p of the PJ.

Picture quality

Note! None of the kit has been ISF calibrated but it has been setup with Avia etc. I am using recommended settings from the AVS forums for the PJ to get the best B than B and W than W, lamp hours are around 500. Plasma is a 37 inch Panasonic PW5 with 1500 hours on it, and has been setup with Avia as well.

I thought I would try the PJ first. So in goes Apollo 13 into the XA1 and Holy :censored: This looked REALLY good, with good colour balance and lots of detail. I obviously realise that you can play for hours and hours and... with TheaterTek and FFDshow to try to get the best results (and I have done just that :rotfl:) But from my point of view the XA1 beats it. However what really surprised me was the picture quality on my lowly PW5 plasma via component. It was well stunning as well, in fact it was that good that I may well put off swapping the unit for a HD display at this point in time. So if you are concerned about using component into a good quality SD plasma you might be surprised at the outcome.

I have upgraded the firmware as well via the web. Yes it is nerve racking and you hope that the power does not go off or the Internet connection play up at that moment in time but all went well. As others have said it took about 40 Min's in my case and you can see a % complete in the display which is comforting.

Conclusion

Was it worth it? Well I have to say a resounding yes. Should I have waited for a UK version with updated stuff? Well I have lots of region 1 DVDs so it was not a real issue for me. But you can always wait and see what comes in November if you are a region 2 user.
Final thought "Houston we most definitely do not have a problem" :smashin:

PS I must not forget to thank the people at Movietyme for their prompt and efficient service.

thfccambs

Banned
Excellent,i'm still well happy with my XA-1.

ollie501

Novice Member
Can you clarify what "PJ to get the best B than B and W than W" please.. may well be useful for future reference, if and when I ever get around to buying a projector :cool:

steve0

Banned
I think word of mouth will sell HD DVD rather than hype. To me every movie I watch on my player is great

martian1

Nice write up..I have the same pj any chance of you posting your settings for me. i have just set it to what i think is right nice to have a comparison :thumbsup:

addicott

Novice Member
Martin1:

I will post them but I am not at home at the moment so I will put them up shortly. The settings that are changed are in the advanced section and the standard picture controls are left at default.

ollie501

Novice Member
gingerone said:
Blacker than black and whiter than white.
AH! Thanks... makes sense now :D

Darkstar_surfer

A couple of questions. You say the quality on your SD-Plasma was stunning. Is that when playing a HD-DVD or a SD-DVD through your XA1. Which SD-DVD player where you previously using and was the set-up comparible.

You also mentioned a firmware update, was that for the XA1 or the PW5.

TheCrow

Darkstar_surfer said:
A couple of questions. You say the quality on your SD-Plasma was stunning. Is that when playing a HD-DVD or a SD-DVD through your XA1.
He was using a HD-DVD of Apollo 13.

Darkstar_surfer said:
Which SD-DVD player where you previously using and was the set-up comparible.
addicott said:
Oh and I am comparing an SD DVD with a HD-DVD But the SD DVD was played back using my HTPC running TheaterTek with FFDShow
Darkstar_surfer said:
You also mentioned a firmware update, was that for the XA1 or the PW5.
It was for the XA1.

addicott

Novice Member
Darkstar:
1) When playing an HD-DVD. While I have no doubt that an HD display may well yield an even better picture, the SD display was obviously being driven to its maximum capability. That together with the fact that the component output on the player is of very good quality, made me come to that conclusion.
2) As I mentioned in the beginning of post I was not using a standard player I was using a Home Theater PC with the TheaterTek software player and FFDshow plugin, on a Nvidia 6600GT video card. This combination is known to yield pretty good results.
3) The firmware update was on the Toshiba XA1 HD-DVD player, via the web interface.

Thanks to the crow who posted just as I was finishing my reply.

Mr Grumpy

Novice Member
Very interesting to read your views addicott, not least because you have the same PJ as I do.
Great stuff. :)

A

AVdavid

I'm not that surprised that HD looks so good on an SD display it is the quality of the incoming signal that is working here, look at the projectorcentral site to find similar observations
Dave

Darkstar_surfer

Thank for that.

My main interest was the ability of the AX1 to play SD-DVD for display on a SD-Plasma. As you will see from my equipment list Jumping to HD is not a priority but updating my DVD player is on my wish list. With the problem that the US model of the AX1 can only play Region 1 / NTSC SD-DVD disks I will probably leave it for now. Wither I can wait till November and the launch of HD-DVD in Europe is another question. Nearly splashed out on an ebay Pioneer 868 yesterday.

addicott

Novice Member
Martian1:

Here are the Infocus 7200 advanced settings for blacker than black & whiter than white from what appears now to be a redundant AVSForum thread.

From the main menu select picture, then advanced, then colour control.

Red, Green & Blue Gain all at 69
Red, Green & Blue Offset all at 39

I believe these settings were supplied from a reputable contributor that was an InFocus person. They did improve my picture not massively but still noticeably.

All other picture settings I am running at default values.