my first CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoeser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need you help, I've been popping into this area very often recently but never posted until now. I'm in the process of designing my own house and I'm planning to have a cinema/entertainment room, but I'm missing a projector. I've seen a few LCDs and DLPs but have never been satisfied until I saw a Sony G70 with a Vigatec scaler and SDI output of a DVD. It was just outstanding.

I've made a shortlist, but not quite sure what the real differences are(even after reading the brochures). They are the: Sony G70, Barco 809s and the Barco 1209s.

My next question is that I'm I living in Greece now (left the UK several years ago) but I'd like to buy it in the UK because there isn't a second hand market here as you have there. How would you ship across Europe? I remember reading a thread about couriers a few months back but you weren't talking about international deliveries. I've checked on DHL's site, and they'd charge just under È600 to ship the 1209s. There are cheaper removal companies that go over land, but I'm a bit worried about it bouncing around in the back on the truck. What would you do?

Next, the scaler. What do you suggest, the Vigatec, or something else?

Also my DVD, i have a Sony 735. Do you know if I can get the SDI output for it, or should I think about changing it? (sorry, should I post this in the DVD area?)

Thank you,
marc

The problem with any sort of display device is that it is only as good as the setup and calibration that the display recieves. I've seen many a good quality projector badly set up that it makes you wonder why they spent all the money in the first place.
What I'm trying to say is save some money for the setup too.

The basic difference between the three projectors you have mentioned is the 808 and g70 use 8" tubes where as the 1209 uses 9"
The 808 series evolved over the years finnishing in the Graphics 808s which is close to the new Cine 8. Some of the earlier models can suffer from streaking under certain conditions. The g70 is a lovely projector but a pig to replace part on when hanging from the ceiling. Barco's are easier to work on becasue they are modular so replaceing and repairing can be done in moments.

Both the g70 and 1209s have liquid coupled lenses which help with internal reflections and contrast.

The vigatec is a good scaller but would probably be bettered by the TAW Rock or Key Digital Leeza. For the ultimate of course the Snell and Wilcox Interpolator is the business.

SDI output from your DVD will help a bit more. but if you put crap in you will get crap out. Some times DVD transefer is not what it should be and having a super sharp source can look dreadfull.

Shipping a projector in a well packed box will not be a problem they will take that sort of punnishment. All couriers use a hub system which will mean it will go from van to lorry several times. Unless you pay for a personal driver there are not a lot of alternatives.

I hope that helps a little

Thanks Roland,
that was alot of help
It makes me think I shouldn't change my dvd until I have PJ set up, so can see the difference a new dvd will make. Is there a scaler I can connect my sony digibox, it only has RGB scart?

I knew about the tube size difference, but I don't know why it is better to have a 9" over an 8". Is the image just brighter? I guess the only way to understand the difference is to see them in action.

Not to sound too forward, Roland, could I contact you the next time I'm in the UK for a demo?

marc :)

Absolutly
Genrally speaking I will have a 7",8" and 9" projector on permanent set up.

Originally posted by Roland @ B4
Absolutly
Genrally speaking I will have a 7",8" and 9" projector on permanent set up.

Hi Roland, I'd love to come and visit. I've tried to contact you via PM and email but youve been probably too busy to answer - congrats on your 1000th.:eek:
marc

The advantage of 9" over 8" depends on units. You want a unit with electromagnetic focus. This means it can draw small dots (ie more detail). All the units you mention have this facility but not all 8 or 9 units do I believe.

All things being equal the 9" gives you a bigger area to draw on. So if the dot size is the same for 8 and 9 then you can draw more on a 9 (more resolution again). If you use a scaler that allows you to minimise scan lines by drawing as many lines as possible without overlapping then you will also have the benefit of more phosphor being energised (ie more light output)

Roland will keep you right on this. Also he is SPOT on with the comment about set up. This is where the BIG differences come in to play.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, that helped to clarify it.

I've managed to reach Roland:) I've sent the email...

marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom