My first contract job. Help a newbee please.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jules, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    I recently left my job and got some good advice on here about setting up a limited company.
    Well now, I'm hoping you guys can come to my rescue again.

I have set up a limited company and got some financial advice from an accountant.
    The thing is I've been offered a 6 month contract starting in 5 days time, and I need to move quickly on other details like bank account, insurance etc.

One thing I'm unclear on, is terms and conditions.

What is the standard process when starting a new contract as a limited company?
    Should you submit your terms and conditions before starting, or does this typically form part of your first day?

Also, are there any standard terms and conditions that I could use as a base for my own?
    Should these be stored on my website.. and if so is that enough?

Sorry, these must sound like noob questions (because they are), but I have nobody around me that I can ask and I don't want to come across as a muppet to my client. I'm literally flying blind though.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. rampant

rampant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    t&C's should be in the contract offer?

i would always want 30 days payment terms with a % charge if late payment

3. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    What is the nature of the contract?

I have never provided T’s & C’s to an employer. They form the contract with your ltd company so the T’s & C’s are their end.

You will do very well to get a business bank account setup within five days. Add another 3-4 weeks on top if you are registering for VAT.

Will the company let you start without a bank account in place? I have done that before and then just invoiced in bulk once everything is setup.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    Thanks. :)
    The nature of the contract is e-learning and media production.

Good to know about the T&C's.. I just assumed it would be a 2-way exchange of terms.

I don't know if they'll let me start without a bank account in place, but I've asked the question.
    I have the company and all relevant insurances sorted out, so most of it is starting to fall into place now.

It's a steep learning curve and baptism of fire following 20 years as an employee.