1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Timse1981, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a camcorder but have no idea of which one to get. My budget is up to £500, I would much appreciate your views on what camcorder to get.

2. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: Help me.

Thanks

Tim

3. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Tim, :hiya: welcome to the world of camcorders! To help us give you some advice it would be good to know what you will be mostly using the camcorder for? As I'm sure you know there are a huge number of camcorders out there and the number of models changes almost weekly, also most people have there own personal preferences. It is a good idea to go to a high street store (eg Currys, Dixons, etc) and try a few out for size, weight, position of controls, etc to narrow your choices down a little. I would be very surprised if you managed to find anyone in these stores who know anything about the cameras tho' (with the odd exception). So go and look at a few, don't get pressured by any sales people, and then come back with more questions about the ones you like the look of...

Hope this helps,

Keith :smashin:

4. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    i'd prob go for the new MV800 series from Canon. The mid range MV830i would be a good start and even offers 16:9 recording. Dabs.com have this at only £285.00.

5. TonyM19

TonyM19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anybody confirm if the 830i or 850i support analogue to digital passthrough?

6. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    as far as I know both of those models do, the old 730i and 750i did

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Buy it from JEssops with price match

Also look at Sony HC40 & PC10? with 16x9 recording

8. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith I will mostly be using the camcorder to film trains as Im a railway enthusiast. I would also like to be able to convert analouge tapes to digital so I can convert the little bit of anologue footage I got when I borrowed my uncle's camera for a year. I would also like to be able to copy my finished work back onto VHS so I can show the videos to people that dont have DVD players.

What is this passthrough? :confused: And can you passthrough the finished edit back onto a VHS tape?

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A tripod is essential

A widesscreen camera is better for long thin train shaped items.

Forget Vhs - for those saddos tell them to buy a £25 DVD player, after you have PC edited and burnt to DVD this is what you would tell someone!

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Passthrough is where you can connect a VCR or old analogue camcorder to the AV inputs of your new digital camcorder and it converts the signal to digital for connecting to the PC via firewire so you can then capture, edit and create a DVD etc. To do this your camcorder needs to have a feature called AV-in. Many camcorders wont have this, so you need to check the specs closely.

Many of the newer camcorders can do this, but yet again check the specs closely as you need them to list the cam as having DV-in. Many more cams have DV-in than AV-in, but if the cam does have AV-in then it will definately have DV-in.

Don't worry too much about Martin and his anti VCR comments :devil: . He has hated the good (if you can ever say that about VHS) old VCR since he got the Pace Twin :rolleyes: . I still have a VCR so I can create tapes from my footage for people such as my parents that neither have nor want a DVD player. There are still a fair few of these type of people around believe it or not :eek:

Mark.

11. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

Does passthrough mean that the VHS tapes can be copied straight from VHS to my computer without copying the VHS tape onto the camcorder tape, then copy onto the PC?

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Actually I have hated Vhs since 1983 (see my kit last and add a Sony SLF1UB and Sony SLHF100P), but compared to burning a DVD tape duplication is a nightmare regardless of format.

Easier to buy a DVD player for the affected party.

13. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin.

The idea was to copy the finished piece from my hard drive onto a VHS tape then show to people who don't have VHS. I would still keep the 'original' edit on my PC. I would have a problem copying the finished film onto a DVD as I don't have a DVD copier/writer on my PC. On a side issue can one copy a finished film onto CD without buying a DVD copier/writer?

Thanks

Tim

:)

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    IMO yes, passthrough does mean the VHS tape just gets converted to digital and passed on directly to the PC. However some camcorders do need the footage to be recorded to the camcorders tape and then captured to PC later. Wheather you count this as 'passthrough' or not is up to you, but it's not the way I would look at it!

Mark.

15. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, you can create a VCD, but this is not much better quality than VHS. You can get about 1 hour of video on a VCD.
    There is also the far better (but still not great) SVCD that can take about 15 minutes of video. The problem with SVCD is that not many DVD players will replay them so you will need to check the players specs if you want to go this route!
    My advise though would be to get a DVD writer for the PC. They are available for under £50 for a good one and if you have Nero 6 or later you wont need other software, unless you want it that is.

Mark.

16. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is partly whay I want to be able to copy my finished piece back onto VHS. If I bought a DVD writer which format would you advise me to get as there are several different formats. With DVD+R, DVD-R etc.

17. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you decide to buy yourself a DVD burner then I would suggest that you go for one of the duel format burners such as the Pioneer 108. With these you can burn any of the formats. In theory there is a slightly better chance of DVD-R discs working in your DVD player, in practice though there is next to nothing between them!

Mark.

18. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

I think if I buy a DVD burner I will still keep my DVD drive as I have four slots for CD/DVD players/writers.

Tim

19. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just seen a review of Canon Ptura 30&40 they seem pretty good. Does anyone know what is the UK equilivant is? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Tim